Valve learned to count to 3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The sniper's voice actor (TF2) said that Valve was not actively working on HL3, due to technology barriers. Basically, Valve wants to use motion capture technology, to get life like character interactions, but this is very hard to combine with characters that have to constantly look at you, even when doing complex facial animations, like they did in HL2.

This is not directly from Valve obviously, the VAs probably aren't in on game development, but he voices a few characters in the HL series. That said, it could also be a diversion, and he's just trolling.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
The sniper's voice actor (TF2) said that Valve was not actively working on HL3, due to technology barriers. Basically, Valve wants to use motion capture technology, to get life like character interactions, but this is very hard to combine with characters that have to constantly look at you, even when doing complex facial animations, like they did in HL2.

This is not directly from Valve obviously, the VAs probably aren't in on game development, but he voices a few characters in the HL series. That said, it could also be a diversion, and he's just trolling.

Oh, I see. That's interesting, but personally I wouldn't call it an official statement, or proof that HL3 isn't under active development.

I think it's most likely that HL3 is in development, and is going to be exclusive to Valve's upcoming console, as that would make the best business sense, since HL3 would probably be the best killer app any new console could hope to have. If this does turn out the be the case, then hopefully they'll release HL3 for the PC (and other consoles) after a a set time, otherwise Valve's fans will be very unhappy. Well, they'd be unhappy anyway if they have to wait for HL3 whilst other people (i.e those with Valve's new console) can play the game already, but PC gamers (who've always been Valve's biggest supporters) would be beyond furious if HL2 never came out on anything other than the Valve console.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Valve is all about covering all platforms. They would never make a game exclusive to Piston.

I hope they don't. But from a purely business point of view, if they are gong to introduce a new console into the marketplace, then by far the smarted move would to be to release Half-Life 3 on the same day, and make HL3 exclusive to the console. That way, the console will sell far, far more than it would otherwise sell. It would then make sense to release HL3 on the PC and other consoles after a given length of time, as there will be lots of people who refuse to buy the Valve console but who'll still want to buy HL3, but for HL3 to sell as many Valve consoles as possible, Valve would want to delay the PC/XBox 360/XBox 1/PS3/PS4 versions for as long as possible.

I'm not saying they will do that, just that to me that seems the smarted thing to do to maximise sales of their new console.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
You have to understand, that Valve doesn't do business that way. Absolutely, they want to maximize their profits, reach as many people as possible, but they know they can't do this, by screwing over their largest and most devoted consumer group. Valve would never pull a move like that, because it's simply not their philosophy to screw people over for a short term gain.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I heard a rumour that Valve had bought the rights to the Unreal series.

A cursory Google says nothing. While I would like Epic to get it done (well), I suppose someone doing something is better than it fading away forever.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I could see Valve do HL3 for PC and Steambox only. But they won't ever exclude PC.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Half Life was an awesome game - one of the best single player experiences I've had.
Half Life 2 - wasn't so keen on this - got about 2/3 way through and just ditched it and never went back to it.
Half Life 3 - let's just say I won't be losing any sleep over this.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I thought it was an alright game, but it's really far from how awesome people seem to make it out to be. It was reasonably paced, and it worked, but ultimately felt somewhat clunky and underpolished.

Half-Life felt the same, especially as it was fairly incoherent, but more importantly buggy as fuck when it released.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Whenever I try to play Half Life, I always find myself getting lost and completely losing track of what I have to do or where I have to go. I guess I'm retarded or something.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
In the first Half-Life I got to a chapter that I think was called "On a rail" or something. You were basicaly on this rail cart on this big maze. I got lost and didn't know how to get out of there, so I gave up.

I played Half-Life 2 for the first time about 3 or 4 months ago, and I loved it. IMO it's very well paced, you have a much better sense of purpose, the gunplay is varied and fun and looking back it should probably be called the game that started the physx craze.

Obviously, I'm also aching for HL3, but I have the advantage of not being waiting for it in 6 years.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
You guys get lost in a linear game? Really?
HetGOjnfYr-10.png

Last edited: