UT3 Appreciation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I dislike AD posts so I'll put Whipper on ignore

To this day and I still don't understand how the Fury works. Feels like that its rays don't hit anything :\

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Actually, they lock onto targets when they hit one, like with the Link Gun. Especially fun with Mantas, because the beams also attract vehicles, so Mantas that are hit fly high up in the air and thus are rather powerless.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Still, the hit effects of the rays on vehicles are almost invisible and I always think I'm missing the target even with the lock-on.

I guess during Lock-on the rays do hit always the target.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Here's what I liked about UT3, before these money-oriented individuals went on a bull**** ride flying out lame excuses out of their butts.

-Editor

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Let's see...something I like about UT3...

(1.) After playing UT3 for about three months it became obvious to me that UT3 was a huge consolized failure and a disservice to the Unreal Tournament name, making me more receptive to other games. This allowed me to discover my current #1 game, Sins of a Solar Empire, which I've been playing greedily since March 2008. (Sins is an awesome 4x-RTS that's great for online multiplayer. Check it out at http://www.SinsofaSolarEmpire.com )

(2.) UT3 didn't serve as a #2 game, either, allowing me to discover the wild-and-crazy fun, free-to download and play melee style FPS game Savage 2. You can d/l it here. It rocks. http://www.Savage2.com

So, for me, something good did come out of UT3 in a twisted sort of way.
Congratulations for getting hooked on two horribly average games?

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
I'd say the main thing I like about UT3 is that in third person, you actually shoot where you point, unlike in UT2003/4 where you could look at the ground and fire, but shots would always go straight ahead of you, no matter where you looked.

Shame that behindview doesn't work in multiplayer. :/

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Congratulations for getting hooked on two horribly average games?

Sins of a Solar Empire is exceptional and one of the best RTS games around. (It even won several GOTY awards.) Did you try it in online multiplayer against human opponents? That's where it really shines. Sadly, this great strategy game has been overlooked in favor of APM-based clickfests like Starcraft.

Savage 2 might not be all that amazing, but it has excellent chemistry, a good feel, and is simply fun to play. With Savage 2 I get some of the feeling I had from UT99. The melee fighting can get intense and you almost feel like you can get your aggression out by hitting things. It's 100% FREE to download and play, so anyone who thinks that might sound like fun should go check it out. Once you get past the learning curve, you'll love it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've played both.

SOASE is an average RTS that got tons of free PR because it had no DRM. I was going to say there was some other reason, but I don't really think there was. Of course, over time they released a bunch of PC-centric stuff making everyone think they were an awesome PC developer, but all of their games since then continue to speak for themselves.

Savage 2 (like Savage 1) was a great idea, it just didn't work right. When I played Savage at E3 2003, I thought it had the most promise out of anything there, but then there was the crappy sales and the empty servers and the game rapidly died. Every time I've tried to play Savage 2, it's the same as Savage 1, which is basically the commander telling people to do things that nobody listens to for an hour and then getting frustrated and leaving the server.

UT3, with all its faults, is better than both of these games. And that is saying something :eek:

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I guess we'll just have to disagree. What other games compare to Sins? There are other RTS games out there, but how many of them have the 4x element and are not APM-based clickfests? That's what makes Sins unique--it's all about the strategy and not your APM-based micromanagement ability.

Did you play Sins in online multiplayer against human opponents? If you have Diplomacy, log onto Ironclad Online sometime and try a 4v4 or 5v5.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
4X isn't that interesting in terms of a real time game, particularly not in the way SOASE does it. Total Annihilation had a 4X metagame, but most people didn't care about it.

APM still matters in Sins, so I'm not sure why you are treating them as diametrically opposed.

I've played Sins online and it has the same barrier to entry as every other RTS out there. The only difference is you get to play the Impulse-can't-figure-out-what-you-are-doing game when you try to join one.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Scavenger beam doesn't do damage. You use it to lock-on the target, so the floating ball will hit it continuously.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, it's a targeting laser for your Scavenger Takkra. And for some reason it gets bugged quite often - it will get stuck in a "relocking" loop with the chirping sound played repeatedly and the crosshairs changing. Or it could look locked on, but in reality not attract the Takkra. When it works, however, it can be useful to snipe enemies, especially Darkwalkers since they can't ever hit you when you're bouncing around.

I call it Takkra since it's very similar and "floating ball" is not a great term for that :p

BlackFish

ginger synther hipster
May 9, 2004
I've been playing UT3 a good bit recently with Mapmixer. For some reason I still think it's the prettiest game in my library still.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
What I like about UT3:

1. The guns and vehicles (especially Necris vehicles) look badass
  2. The changes to the Axon vehicles (seriously, UT3 Scorpion rapes UT2k4 Scorpion)
  3. The guns look and sound powerful and mean.
  4. It's slightly slower paced so my tiny brain can keep up with the action
  5. The voice actors are way better than in previous games (especially UT99's VAs. And yes, I just called it UT99. Get over it.)
  6. The bots are more intelligent and are actually fun to play against. UT2k4's bots were just retarded, especially in Onslaught (Hurr I'm just gonna get in this Hellbender and drive forward and backward for 2 minutes durrhurr)

I know it mostly sounds like I'm bashing the previous UTs but that's not the case. It's more a matter of "I like UT3 more :D". The only reason why I'm playing UT2k4 right now instead of UT3 is because the latter crashed for no reason, and due to prior experience and the fact that there may be evidence of my video card dying, I'm actually too afraid to play it now.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
  1. The bots are more intelligent and are actually fun to play against. UT2k4's bots were just retarded, especially in Onslaught (Hurr I'm just gonna get in this Hellbender and drive forward and backward for 2 minutes durrhurr)

They're still retarded in vehicles though -

They'll all fill up the Leviathan and just sit there, even when I command them otherwise, with no way to get them out of that thing. Only thing to do is up the bot count when you start a map with a Leviathan, so when that happens you still have some team left to play, lol.

They try to take lifts while in vehicles, and won't stop until they are blown up.

They run into their own flag carrier with a manta, dragging him all the way back to the enemy base while screaming, "I GOT YOUR BACK!".

Other generally retarded stuff... they are just terrible drivers.

(They are almost completely broken in Greed.)

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Other generally retarded stuff... they are just terrible drivers.

This is why OnyxCoast and several other WAR maps can't be played with bots. Seriously.

Although the bots still give me problems in DM, waaaaay more than they did in UT2004 and UT1.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
yeah, in DM they are the business; much more "intelligent" than in past games.

I just wish they didn't rely on the Link Beam so much. It's the cheapest kill in the game and the bots thrive on it.
Why did Epic have to make the beam nerf movement so much? That was kinda stupid; people bitched about that so much in UT2004 you would think a change would happen.

I end up using the replacement mutator in all matches without vehicles (since you kinda want the Link beam in vehicle games), exchanging for an added Enforcer.
Dual Enforcers are the shiz.

Didn't Epic say UT3 would be more "in your face" and "gritty"? Yet, the bots don't EVER use the Impact Hammer, instead opting for the Link Beam, meaning I WANT TO BE AS FAR AWAY AS I CAN WHILE STILL BEING ABLE TO KILL.
And if you are caught in a beam, you are unable to dodge at them to use your own Impact Hammer, unless you get lucky running around in circles for 1 second and happen to hit them (if you are close enough in the first place).

Yeah, they should patch that.

LINK BEAM DISHONORABLE

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Bots' link gun beams lock-on targets too!
Beam is still very strong with the Damage Amplifier.