UT3 + Ageia "PhysX" . Does Crysis have it too?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Cell is not a GPU/CPU hybrid, it's just a particular form of microprocessor architecture. It's genuinely not special. Torrenza is the same. Fusion is a future attempt at doing it however, having separate cores for GPU/CPU specific applications (but each core will not do both, and the GPU component will be very basic). Trouble is, it'll likely use a completely custom instruction set, giving it a very low adoption rate for software developers, and thus either a very low compatibility rate with software, or a lot of software that just won't use it properly.
It's not a GPU/CPU hybrid, no -- but they're steps in that direction.

That point was "Here's the exit" not "We're here!" :)

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Ok, all your info was helpful, thanks. I'll remember to invest in the most latest video card the next time I decide to upgrade. It seems that upgrading to the "just under the best latest video card" isn't such a good idea after all.

I patched Crysis, got Riva Tuner (overclocked my core/memory speed on the GPU by +50/+50), got ClockGen (overclocked my CPU speed by 200 mhz) and I can run the game on full details except Object Quality (which for some reason is the same as Draw Distance... CryTek Inc. apparently didn't want to create a separate setting for Draw Distance). It seems that setting Object Quality from Medium to Low gives me a +40 fps increase. (I swear, not joking, if anyone wants to see, I can post the GPUBenchmark.exe and CPUBenchmark.exe results from Crysis)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Consumers into their hardware will like having them separately anyway. It's good to have control and to be able to switch things in and out :)
Only geeks want that.
The rest of us prefer a system with minimum risk of incompatibilities and that's easy to use.

Besides ... Epic had announced several physx-capable third party components (Novodex being one of them).
The only real advantage that Ageia had/has is that it was the only one with dedicated hardware-support.
// ---