UT2k3 failure was not due to poor maps

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Renegade Retard said:
People complain about the mini because of it's large spread, high fire rate, and "lockdown." (sorry Brizz, I'm not picking on you Pal ;) )

I tip my hat the Brizz. He's had a distain for quite some time with the mini, but he's making efforts to become better against it.

Don't worry, Ren. It's all constructive around here. I have been EXTREMELY surprised. Besides the few that have railed on me for complaining, everyone else has been extremely helpful in trying to combat my hate for the minigun. I think the main difference between my complaint and others complaints is that I can live with mine. I may hate it, but an hour later I really don't give a crap whether I died by it or not.

The problem that I see from all sides of the community (even those of us that are seasoned) is that we won't try anything new. No one wants to settle when so many things since the demo were changed by the voiced minority so easily. We expect that whatever we want Epic will do to appease us. The fact is THEY WON'T. The ceaseless whining has been going on since Unreal 1, and very few changes have been made to gameplay elements in any patches since UT came out. This is the reason I am am fighting to figure out how to beat the minigun...I'm not expecting Epic to make any changes to it again. I have no right to. The game was almost perfectly balanced when it was released, IMO...the community has really effed everything up.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Mini was perfect @6/12

Aye, I heard no complaints about mini whoring when it was 6/12. After using it for so long, people get used to it finally, then they change the damage up... WTF? Now, if I finish off two frags with it, or get fed up with an irratic ping, cracked out jumpy fool, or my current lack of ability to hit anything and decide to throw rapid, I get called a whore? This has had me playing a lot less lately.

What I don't get is how the community can be so stupid as to complain about it not doing enough damage, then when it does the "right" damage complain about lock down...

Uh, first you want it stronger, then you want it weaker... maybe epic didn't want it's strenght to be it's damage... maybe they wanted it to have other functionality. I just don't understand this community sometimes.

I mean, if something is seriously exploitable, or out of balance, I can understand some contructive critisism, but that is just changing aspects of the game that you don't like to suit your personal tastes, and I think that in whole is what people need to stop doing.

They need to learn to be objective, and try to make the game balanced, and not easy for themselves. Quick conclusions are usually wrong. Expectations for change should take more time. If someone says, "The Miniguns strenght is not it's damage, but lies in it's combination of lockdown, and damage", then they should try before bitching about something, and needing it to change to see the error in their ways.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Speaking of the mini.

You should have seen Brizz and TWD last night on FragBU.

The instant I whipped out the mini, they pulled their shield up and backed off.

It was really getting on my nerves.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Swift Viper said:
Is that not the whole point of the shield gun, to protect yourself or am I'm missing the point here?

Absolutely.

But if you read mah posts ^^^^^ up there you'll see the history of Brizz and TWD bitching about the mini.....

And the used to bitch about it in the pubs too, it was so embarrasing. :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You're the one that taught me to do that Hanover! ;) If it hadn't been you I probably would have forgot, so thanks to you :tup: in fact thanks to everyone that has been helping me get better fighting it off!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If anyone is interested in the perfect anti-minigun maneuver...whip out the shield, dodge away, whip out the shock fire about 5 balls in an array pattern and the pop the last one in their face. :)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
If anyone is interested in the perfect anti-minigun maneuver...whip out the shield, dodge away, whip out the shock fire about 5 balls in an array pattern and the pop the last one in their face. :)

Ya, I had read somewhere that the shock bubbles stop the mini shots. I couldn't believe that it worked so well the first time I tried it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
no way I was wasting people last night with that tactic. There are two fronts to it....either one they move around alot and then end up missing you anyways, or they stand still and get hit by the first and killed by the combo at the end :)

Evc

Represent
Dec 22, 2001
Dreamland
www.fastlanehw.com
Sir_Brizz said:
look at CS, it has IMO some of the most cloggy, campy, horrible flow, layout and the most flawed maps of any game I have ever played. Yet it is the most popular game available!

If you think UT2k3 has horrible maps try CS... :tdown:
CS maps are crap for the most part. There is a 2k3 map made after a CS map, I think it was dust or something.

There are a few maps in the game I dont like, CTF-Citadel, and DM-Antalus come to mind. I dont like those maps, too hilly I think.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
it was Aztec, a decent kind of DM map...but worthless gameplay wise for anything else.... shame he converted it to all gametypes...

I actually like and dislike hillmaps they make it more interesting but easy to get stuck in terrain...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
I like Citadel apart from the few places you can get stuck (like the terrain leading up to the Shock). Can't stand Antalus though, the gameplay seems solid enough but I just can't seem to get comfortable fragging in that bright sunny environment - kinda looks too pretty ;)