[UT2004] The return of the Sniper Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic have bought the Sniper Rifle back to UT2004?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
The Twiggman said:
Why not just bring all the weapons from all the series and let you mix and match them into your own setups.

You know, thats what I would of done for UT2004 :)

have several diffrent types of set weapons...

- UT Classic - enforecer, goo, flak, ripper, mini, RL, shock, sniper, impact hammer, pulse

- UT2003/4 - shield gun, assult, goo, flak, mini, RL, shock, LG, pulse

you know, the server can force the weapons choosen or the set style, or you could have it freelanced where the server can pic any 10 weapons :)

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
ChainsawMonkey said:
No you can't, as they're not dropped when you die. Someone did make an akimbo mutator a while ago though. It made every weapon possible to go akimbo with :eek:
They will have to make it so you can drop it then. As for how the grenades would work, not sure, have to check out the mutator already out.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
BigFolks said:
SealClubber said:
- UT Classic - enforecer, goo, flak, ripper, mini, RL, shock, sniper, impact hammer, pulse

- UT2003/4 - shield gun, assult, goo, flak, mini, RL, shock, LG, pulse
QUOTE]

When you put it like that, it makes ut2k3 sound like a downgrade (ut99 having more weapons and all).

I read alot of the posts and most of them are sensless. Makes no sense to say the sniper was spammy. when somebody spams the

sniper, dodge a little more - or find that bastard and blow his head off.

If you think the gun has too high rate of fire, use a different gun. Too slow? use a different gun. Try and balance too many of

the weapons and the everyday noob can come in and actually get a frag! woohoo.

I never tried to use any of the weapons to their full extent in Unreal, the game is simply too old for my taste.

The sniper in Unreal- no idea (no comment)
The sniper in ut99- damn good gun. No complaints from me. Rate of fire was excelent but spamming is damn luck so i dare not try.

you could actually see most of your screen. The LG blurs the rest out. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?! i'd give the LG 3 thumbs down if i had

another!
LG is lightening high teched gun with 80%BLURRRR no sense!!! Try sniping with the LG and somebody standing beside you walks

clearly in your screen, blows your head off and you didn't even see them. If you had the SR you would have seen them and had time

to at least jump around dodge do whatever you have to do to kill the bastard like a true nonnoob. The dude who was probably a no0b

laughs and dies from the fall off the edge - stupid noob
Plus, the LG was a damn slow rate of fire gun that took forever to reload. I'm sure most of the people out there have heard this

enough but i must once again emphasize that.

UT2k3 is invaded by noobs because once you are smart enough to realize the game sucks, you stop playing it. Anybody you think is

definitely not a noob is probably a noob with a little luck.

Alas i have found my true love but every once in a while, the true noob stands in my way AGAIN. Ever heard of zoom instigib? yes

you have, it exists in every fast paced first person shooter. It has to. If not, somebody made and forgot to post it on the

internet. Some people ask me, why play ut2k3 then. Good question, i had no answer until now. because zoom instigib saves me. Why

do i say noobs get in my way? yes... sometimes they go spammy but who cares learn to dodge. Not that though, i'm talking about

people who get off about aimbots. aimbots really make me angry but do i sit there complain and tell whoever to stop or whoever to

fix the problem? no. i simply keep playing, or leave like a good little nonstupidgamer.

Alot of you critics piss me off and i'm going to stop posting on BUF. As for irc.enterthegame.blah/ or irc.nonprogamer.garbage that stupid channel

#beyondunreal - most of the people in there aren't even from the ut2k3/4 section so why do i care. i would just get banned again

for not having a stupid silver star. or even a pink pokedotted star.

This is my farewell. Take a good look at this and please, STFU!

Come back when you calmed down a bit. Reread the posts in this thread and then read through your own post.
A lot of what you say make no sense and absolutley not in this thread.

Else? Well good bye to you.

Swift Viper

BigFolks, your post was confusing to me, very confusing. It had paragraphs for like every two or three lines. I did not even get half of the stuff you were talking about and most of the lightning gun hate was in the beginning of UT2k3. Could you please redo your post with:

Better grammar
Better paragraphs
When your much more calmed down (like Swedix said)
When you understand your opinions is no better then anyone else's here

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
BigFolks, I think you are confusing discussion with criticism.

95% of the people like UT2003, and even more like UT. We are just talking about preferences here.

You won't find a much more on-topic Unreal forum.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Ugh, BigFolks = BigHeadache!

Dude, you seriously either need to think before you post, or just stop posting.

Back on topic....

It seems like most of us agree that we need a happy medium between the SR and the LG. Here's just my humble opinion, which is usually way off base anyhow....

Why not make a weapon similar to the SR, but slow down the rate of fire? I believe that the high fire rate is what make the SR too strong for the most part. And no lightning bolt. The flash was too distracting. I understand the idea of wanting to be able to locate the sniper when he shoots, the the bolt is a bit too much. Perhaps make the projectile similar to the shock, but with a much much shorter "beam." This way you don't have the completely "invisible" rounds of the SR, but it isn't a dead give away either.

One other idea, though I haven't thought this out too much....what if you limited the power of the SR/LG during non-scope use? This would make it more of a long range weapon only, leading to other weapons in short-mid range. Two possibilities: 1) only allow head shots while using the scope, 2) making the weapon less powerful without the scope (as with Serious Sam: Second Encounter's sniper).

Just some thoughts from a Retarded fan.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I lvoe the Lightning gun and wish i had one to hang on my wall!
I'm tired of games where you have a gun using electricity that fires a permanent slow moving or irratic moving stream of electricity, when lightning clearly strikes instantly and bloody hard! The lightning gun reflects an excellent idea i think, if you think about it lightning moves faster than bullets in real life, sotit makes sense that if you can make one you should damn well use one! THis is possible in the UT2k4 world so there it shall exist! I'm not too bothered if an old style Sniple Rifle is in UT2004, as long as there is still my trusty old lighnting gun!
But then in my opinion if a sniper doesn't get a headshot first time he probably doesn't deserve to survive much longer anyway! A bad sniper is a dead one! This is established through word and practice! :)

P.s/ BigFolks never seems to stop talking like that! just wave and smile!

Last edited:

Swift Viper

As for the scope idea, can't the snipers just turn on the scope to the lowest zoom possible or is that more to it? I got two other ideas to make the weapons less useful at close range.

1: At close range, the weapon does less damage then normal, like say 50% less.

2: The weapon at close range would not hit the target at all. The bullet/bolt would have to "charge" up first while it is in mid-air, and would only be able to hit someone within "sniper-range". If the bullet/bolt is too close, it would pass right through the person harmlessly.

Are those any good or was the scope idea better?

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
They should nerf things so that you should be blown away OMFG NO WAY when you hit someone without the scope or at close range. There shouldn't be a low end zoom like there is with the lg. It should zoom in REALLY far.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Swift Viper said:
Why does alot of poeple think the sniper rifle will automatic be the same from UT? All the "spam" weapons had their spamness removed from UT2k3 and I don't how the UT sniper rifle was spammy, only the rate of fire was a bit high. IMO the lightning gun is too slow, almost two seconds between firing (1.8 to be exact), I like the rate of fire in the classic mutator better. What will be the different between the lightning gun and sniper rifle? I'm not sure, but it sounds like it will be a mutator.

Then again, the sinper rifle does seem kind of outdated compaired to the other weapons, if it was made a little bit more high-tech (unless you count the lightning gun).
Eh?

There's a little thing called weapons switching in UT2. I know it was unheard of in UT, but in this game, you can't win every match with just one weapon.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
LG = Link Gun
LTG = Lightning Gun

I think trying to find a comprimise between the LTG and the Sniper is bad. As much as the LTG is used now, I think it's still plenty powerful, and useful, yet still balanced if people think it needs to be more so.

I dig the concept. I actually have fun with the LTG. Throwing lightning about just makes you feel powerful. It, as was mentioned before, is more realistically "instantaneous" then bullets would be, and the more of a delay from the hit to the visual effect, as well as the arc of the bolt, the better IMO. Makes a really cool effect.

I think it should be just as effective close as far. In real life, a bullet would usually be more powerful at closer ranges before it starts to lose velocity. Rate of fire should, and currently does well, dictate it's usefullness at close range.

Weapon switching is a skill, and not something I think people should be further forced to do, but should choose to learn, or be forced by competition.

Swift Viper

JohnDoe641 said:
Eh?

There's a little thing called weapons switching in UT2. I know it was unheard of in UT, but in this game, you can't win every match with just one weapon.
I know, your better off with the Flak Cannon or other weapons when your close up. They could still try going for headshots with the lightning gun at close range or would just change between rockets while the gun is reloading. The way you say it makes it sound like I'm a newbie that only uses one or two weapons to win, sure it was possible in UT, but the changing speed in that game could get you killed. I try to make the best of each weapon to win the match (I only play offline due to framerate problems). Making the weapon zoom in really close only is something that might work.

$MP$-AEnubis said:
I think it should be just as effective close as far. In real life, a bullet would usually be more powerful at closer ranges before it starts to lose velocity. Rate of fire should, and currently does well, dictate it's usefullness at close range.
This is Unreal Tournament 2003, not Real Tournament 2003. The sniper rifle may look real and use bullets, but it never reloads, mkaing it somewhat unreal. Again, at close range is where the other weapons are suppose to be useful at.

Last edited:

Creole Ned

Quirky guy
Apr 13, 2000
www.quirkybastards.com
I'll reserve judgment on the sniper rifle until I actually see it. Biggest fix, IMO, would be reducing the rate of fire.

I have to agree with Hal, the zoom on the lightning gun is terrible. DE/Epic wanted to balance the sniper rifle, so they created the lightning gun and:

* added a visible beam to the weapon -- fine
* added a longer delay between shots -- fine

At this point, the gun would have been a nice compromise between balance/usefulness. Then they kept going:

* made the zoom a tiny oval with scan lines buzzing through it and surrounded by an overbright glare that further reduces vision -- bad!

Like Hal, I use the LTG but never use the scope. It's possibly the worst scope I've ever seen in any FPS game.

So here's hoping to an improved, balanced sniper rifle *and* a better lightning gun in UT2004. :)

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Trust me, I'm the last one that is going to try to turn this into a realistic game, but there is a certain amount of realism that needs be incorporated even into an unreal game to keep it believeable. Staying believeable is what keeps you sucked in.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
Selerox said:
What are your views on Epic bringing back the old UT99 snip[er rifle in UT2004?

Personally, I think it's a very bad idea. The Sniper rifle was removed in UT2003 for a reason. Unless something about the UT2004 sniper rifle is seriously nerfed, it's going to be just as unbalanced as the old one was. Also, where does this leave the lightning gun? Is that now obsolete? Or will it fill a different weapon "niche" in the game.
How was UT a unbalanced game? In that game you had to really learn the weapons, and have a little skill using them. In UT2003, almost with every weapon a person will be effective equally. No fun. Bring on the sniper rifle, get rid of the Quake Rocket Launcher, and fix the Flack Cannon.