UT2004 Models for UT99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Dark Pulse said:
Did Ticklemonster put you up to this by any chance? :p

And no, he means importing UT2004-style player models into UT99.

No, I never discussed it with anyone, I just up and did it.

And the original poster meant UT2004 models, but Nahand mentioned weapons.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Nahand said:
... weapons yes :D ...

Agreed that the weapons models in UT could use an update, at least maybe reskinned with higher resolution textures. That would probably be enough to make them look a little spiffier.

I really don't have a problem with the player models or the architectural textures ( some of these look fantastic if you have the 2nd CD S3TC textures installed and are able to use them ).

Those of you that have Nvidia cards should be running the game in OpenGL and using this OpenGL renderer located here:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

It runs way faster than D3D and looks way better.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
THUGLIFE said:
:)
hey brdempsey
i only get an empty zip file with you download link:( .

Sorry about that, but I don't know how that can be. Others have reported they got the files just fine. What utility are you trying to use to unzip the files? It should work with any .zip extractor utility. I just tested the download link and unzipped the files and they are there. I used WinAce to zip up the files.

Keep trying and if you still have problems maybe I can make other arrangements for you.

Last edited:

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
The Unreal1 engin is so underestimated ;P. I've spawned 100 meshes each 400 polies and I've spawned 30 meshes with uptoo 850 polies, I've played a map with 128 bots.
All with little problem, not to mention it was all on my crappy 700 mghz.

Besides that, UT will have publicly released distancefog I bet.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I also get blank zip files from both links. Maybe because it is an old version? or maybe it is a Firefox issue?

Other than that, I would like to use it myself please. And if possible, you could Email it to me. TY

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
War_Master said:
I also get blank zip files from both links. Maybe because it is an old version? or maybe it is a Firefox issue?

Other than that, I would like to use it myself please. And if possible, you could Email it to me. TY

PM me with your e-mail address.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
brdempsey69

I like the way your sniper looks specially the scope... it looks tyte. I wonder how you edited it and what did you use to make the model. I would like to make one also but the only model I have is the StaticMesh of the gun from 2k4 but the scope doesnt look too good. I was wondering if you can share the _a.3d and _d.3d files or a .t3d file for me to animate it like the 2k4 one. Or if you know how I can export the model from your mod.

I would really appreciate if you can share such a good looking model. The reason is that I can code it to play the zoom-in and zoom-out sounds like in 2k4 as well as to use the ClassicSniper's crosshair from 2k4. Please let me know if you can. TY

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Sorry, I took so long to respond War_Master. What I used was Milkshape 3d and the model is a skeletal mesh that was imported using .psk and .psa files. The .d3d system kept borking up the shape of the model whenever i tried to build the package.

I've uploaded a .zip file that contains the .uc scripts, the .psk files and the textures used for the models.

You can download it here:
http://www.brdempsey69.com/USMCSniperRiflebuild.zip

You can modify any of the files to your liking and even paint your own logo on the rifle stock like I did. The .psk files have the models attached to a bone and if you have a program like Milkshape 3D you can do any animations that you like. Milkshape 3D is located of course at:
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

As for editing the .uc scripts I use a program called Context ( you may already know about it ) located at:
http://www.context.cx/

Also they offer the UnrealEd highlighter which is for .uc scripting, in their downloads section

Good luck !!

Ryback

Jul 23, 2001
Madrid, Spain
Dark Pulse said:
Yes, but the Engine isn't built for it. Bring in 12 of those models in-view and you'll bog the game down - not the best thing to do in a firefight. And not everyone has cards that can handle the advanced OpenGL Renderers, whereas everyone can handle the 256x256x256 specs.

As for getting screenshots, I will, as soon as I can remember how to lock the camera after going into 3rd person view...
It's not advanced openGL, s3tc textures on UT is VERY old news, and any video card that's 4 years old can handle 512x512 textures without any problems. Plus the whole engine is very CPU dependant, 12 2000poly models in-view means nothing to any computer that's 2-3 years old (1500+mhz or equivalent), I've gone waaay past that

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Ryback said:
It's not advanced openGL, s3tc textures on UT is VERY old news, and any video card that's 4 years old can handle 512x512 textures without any problems. Plus the whole engine is very CPU dependant, 12 2000poly models in-view means nothing to any computer that's 2-3 years old (1500+mhz or equivalent), I've gone waaay past that
Yes, it is Advanced. The OpenGL Renderer that comes with the game is less advanced than Chris Dohnal's.

As for S3TC, not all textures are that small - several are 2048x2048. Not all cards can do that.

Finally, yes, but not everyone has those machines. Some people might be playing that game on something closer to the minimum specs - UT was made to run on a 233 IIRC as a minimum spec (Maybe even a 166.) On machines like that, it WILL bog down.