UT2003 Troopers Cancelled

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mychaeel

Apart from everything else, we have an example of very poor team management here---especially on part of the team in these recent events, ironically.

From a diplomatic point of view already it's an utterly bad idea to send somebody an ultimatum that leaves them with no other choices than either to fight or to go down with a bang; especially somebody emotionally attached to the project and known to make public drama out of it as BadKarma.

The letter itself speaks volumes about the amount of frustration that must have built up in the team below BadKarma's leadership. Obviously BadKarma has done something fundamentally wrong in his position to remain oblivious of all the grudges held against him until faced with a hostile letter from his entire team. Team structures where the leader reserves the right to determine the team's entire course at his own discretion generally only work out either if that right is never invoked or if binding legal contracts and proper payment is involved.

Last edited:

beta_aquilae

?meh see to glad you orange
Jul 9, 2003
they pretty much lost the main ppl that know bk and worked with him before and know what kinda person he is. From what i read on the forums, the planned it all from the beginning. Once the mod was at a certain point they kick him and they get the glory and if possible enter a contest for money.

Looks like the team wont work in this community anymore, ppl are already boycotting the mod. I rather have those ppl boycotting riaa instead of a mod, but hey whatever floats your boat.

Mychaeel

beta_aquilae said:
Yeah but blackmailing is not saying i love you, we need to see other people.

Obviously there's no love left at all between the team and its leader.

But look what they actually "blackmailed" BadKarma with: with releasing "all information regarding the wrongdoings made by [BadKarma] to the public." That this "threat" is enough for BadKarma to do their bidding is interesting enough in its own right.

Sending a letter like that was probably the worst thing the team could have done in this situation, even if they had no love at all left for their team leader BadKarma. The fact that they didn't have the foresight to at least prepare a comprehensive team statement to present to their fan base doesn't help at all. Individual team members putting off inquiring fans with vague statements about "time zone problems" makes a poor substitute for that.

BadKarma obviously went through this whole project with the attitude that it was his alone, granting others merely the opportunity to pour their own hearts (to lend a phrase of BadKarma's) and working hours into it without any say in what happened to it. With nothing to lose except the public recognition the mod's release may have given them, the team was virtually cornered by any of BadKarma's decisions that they thought threatened the mod.

This whole situation is home-made by BadKarma himself.

RaptoR said:
They've basically conjured up a PR nightmare for themselves now, two days before the release of the mod.

...and they're not even handling it well. After working for months (years?) with BadKarma they should have been able to anticipate the course of events after facing him with such a situation.

Mychaeel

beta_aquilae said:
From what i read on the forums, the planned it all from the beginning. Once the mod was at a certain point they kick him and they get the glory and if possible enter a contest for money.

Not that I believe a word of this (do you? why? who made that statement, to start with?), but it's symptomatic of the "PR nightmare" the Troopers team have navigated themselves into.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Ulukai said:
Something just doesn't add up here.

If 11 people feel so strongly that BK is a bad leader, and that his behaviour is unconstructive, maybe they have a point.

I've witnessed the follwing behaviour regarding his non-troopers work from him on public forums/his website before:

" emotional outbursts resultant in discomfort and production slowdown amongst the team members; defensive attitude and inability to receive active and progressive criticism from [team members]."

Before y'all go getting rowdy, you might want to peek over the other side of the fence, and listen to what the other guys have to say.

Who cares?

There are better ways to tell him he's a bad leader then "**** off, we're taking over the mod" :(

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
The only way they can approach breaking themselves out of this rut is by releasing a quality mod on Monday. If Troopers appears and it sucks, then they'll be screwed.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
the other thing to keep in mind is that this team signed on under there own free will to do this for free. If they had a problem with it they could have just left the team at anytime and BadKarma would have found someone else. If the whole team had just decided to leave instead of stealing the mod from BadKarma then BadKarma most likely would have came out looking bad.

and by the way, I suppose Beyondunreal.com wont be mirroring or supporting this mod in anyway for now on?

Gundato

Wangosaurus Rex
Feb 26, 2002
In a Nuclear Missile Silo
i don't know who to side with. on the one hand, bk must have done something to deserve this. on the other hand, the team seems to be a bunch of jackasses to handle things that way.

either way, making a big deal out of this and trying to ruin the mod was very childish of BK.

and i am glad that BU is not taking any sides in this.

beta_aquilae

?meh see to glad you orange
Jul 9, 2003
i read the the whole posts of the "she said he said stuff" this morning on jpf. and from what i read, and what bk said, they had to the 14th to finish the mod for epic contest, and enter it by the 15th cause that was the end date. Plus ghost enigma wasnt doing a very good job of making the team look good with the stupid answers.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I wasn't puzzled seeing bad karma's fanboy forum mob to walz trough any forum. how can such a bad mapper gain so much fans? clan fags?

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
am i wrong in assuming that badkarma's statement implies that they will be taking all of badkarma's imput out of the mod? all of his creations/whatever?

then surely, you cant complain about him being treated unfairly, because if they remove all of his work, then they have inface, simply all left the team. there is nothing stopping bad-karma from finishing "his" mod.

surely what the "former team members" do with their own work is their own perogative?

;)