Upcoming Unreal Alpha and Beta versions release

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Following the Unreal II Beta releases, Unreal will receive all the Alpha versions and Beta versions that ever existed as well!

What's interesting in those releases? Well, first of all, there's an updated Nali Castle flyby, featuring a flight through the inner halls of it. Furthermore, there are 4 additional unseen cutscenes in Unreal. They reveal a lot more info about the main character of the game, Prisoner 849, as well as story before the start of Unreal. The name of P849 will be revealed (in fact, I can tell you what it is right now: Maylia Simonyéz Fitzgerald), as well as why she was a prisoner. Strangely, the story shows that she is a Skaarj Hybrid (although she looks like Gina; that also shows how they managed to secure this info, remember UT1's "CLASSIFIED DATA" descriptions of all hybrids? And that also conflicts with UT2004's AS-Mothership description, which said that Humans met Skaarj on Na Pali, unless no humans knew about these genetic experiments).

Moreover, there will be addition voices for Skaarj - much like in UT1 and UT2004, they were supposed to speak English (with Skaarj accent :D ).

Interestingly, in Beta 1 of Unreal, you can actually see the Activision logo during the flyby. It seems that initially Activision was supposed to be the publisher of Unreal, but due to some disagreements between Epic and Blizzard (about the Necris), Epic switched to Infogrames. Another interesting thing is that the first Alpha versions of Unreal were held in 5 1/2" floppies (compare that to UT3 sizes ;) ), and that Unreal as a game was started earlier than the Unreal Engine itself (although without the engine, it was developed on paper by drawing concepts :D ). And finally, Digital Extremes made the most of Unreal, not Epic Games; Epic were only developing the Engine (UnrealShare.u), not the game (UnrealI.u) itself (with a few exceptions, like CliffyB).

As for when it will released and by who... It's the same as with Unreal II betas, I won't say the source publicly due to spam prevention :) And these versions will be released around the same time as Unreal II betas, except those really early Alphas which are on floppies, because it will take some time to extract those...

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
Once again, great news! Do these versions have co-op support, too? Do you know if the Dragon is still around?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Oh yes, forgot to mention, there is the Dragon and Big Men in those betas as well. As for co-op support... Some betas should have it, but I wouldn't count on that... Probably not very compatible with later versions.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
One of the Unreal betas was already temporary uploaded(or was gonna to) to some passworded site somewhere, a year ago (the same beta I played back in 98 actually), by a person I don't wanna name here and it is not same person. But I never received the download link anyway or anything (not to mention it was soon for that) and didn't talk with the person since....but be careful with this, I tried to do everything legal way and gain permissions, this might eventually get you into problems.

And as for the conflict with UT2004, it was implied in Unreal storyline already that humans knew skaarj before Na Pali etc (and I think even books implied that but I did not read them, would be cool if someone uploaded the prints of it), at all the storyline in UT2004 was written not by the same people, so it makes sense kind of.

And DE wasn't involved with Unreal until much lately (that is in 96 and 97 they satrted, before it was entirely Epic's developement), DE was responsible for the HUB levels mainly and terraniux etc, the inoxx stuff etc (and others under DE), so large part of game.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yeap, a year ago is too early, because 10 years weren't quite over by then. And I also highly doubt that other person had that beta officially - the source said that only a few people on Earth actually have these official betas.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The person was actually from the developer team itself (see the hint on other forum who it is in the unreal psx thread) and it was laready over 10 years by that time, it was not exactly year ago, but it was in 2008, later.
Anyway he probably didn't upload anything before, but was gonna to, after checking some stuff.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
To answer Leo's concerns about legality:
He got the betas from Digital Extremes, he lives in the same city as their office is. He got them with an official contract, so if anything, he has proof that all of this is legal, and will publish the contract details before he releases the betas; and surely he will ask for confirmation before. This will all be strictly legal and open.

Exus, we'll get the dragon, but due to formats it might be hard to port it over to the current game. Ah well, guess someone will find a way to do that anyway.

Oh, and if you're wondering, RTNP betas are there as well.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
What about the cancelled expansion pack? Is it there too? I have been trying to recover that with Unreal PSX as well, but failed on that one...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Kazimira, actually, yes. In fact the whole UT was meant to be merged with Unreal, and that includes Necris (limited Botpack support for Unreal is also in the betas, but in UT ones, so you'll have to wait till November). There was some kind of an issue because Epic originally named Necris "the Undead", and somehow it was an issue for Blizzard and their Warcraft... Not sure, really.

Now to answer Leo's question about if RTNP betas include a cancelled mission pack: No, they don't. The RTNP that we have now is the most complete version of RTNP.

And about co-op support: Beta 1.5 introduced network support, and you can play on those servers if you have the same version beta installed. If you try to join with a later client, you will get an error.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Kazimira, actually, yes. In fact the whole UT was meant to be merged with Unreal, and that includes Necris (limited Botpack support for Unreal is also in the betas, but in UT ones, so you'll have to wait till November). There was some kind of an issue because Epic originally named Necris "the Undead", and somehow it was an issue for Blizzard and their Warcraft... Not sure, really.

Now to answer Leo's question about if RTNP betas include a cancelled mission pack: No, they don't. The RTNP that we have now is the most complete version of RTNP.

And about co-op support: Beta 1.5 introduced network support, and you can play on those servers if you have the same version beta installed. If you try to join with a later client, you will get an error.

Well, that pack was later meant to be bundled with OEM vendor or something (it has nothing to do with RTNP), but even that was dropped, the original level pack. In fact I would rather see that one getting released and officially for free, as it happened for exmaple with Shadow Warrior and addon Wanton Destruction.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com

Hang on... it was an issue because they were ment to be called undead? *starts laughing* for goodness sake Blizzard are idiots. Just about everything thats been asosiated with dead things hasd been called undead from vampires to the creatures in the blizzard games. I had an intest in WoW's storyline for a wile. To make such a fuss about a thing like that is atupid.

I've seen in the vidio something that looks like early consept versions of the Necris probably just made for the botpack. I'd love to get a good look at those old skins.

Zeji

Nov 8, 2008
I really wouldn't put it past those greedy ^&$#s, although they were kind of useful in a way. "Necris" sounds so much cooler than "The Undead".
So, how many old skins are there? It would be interesting to see what the characters used to look like.

Last edited:

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
The Necris kind of makes it sound like they are litrealy trying to be a new race rather than just dead humans. I like it actualy. The skins i've seen had the pale face and all but had kind of all grey bodysutes. This was in the promo vidio for unreal that was posted up on the board on unreals birthday.