Unreal Tournament Is Running Really Slow

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phantom914

Oct 12, 2008
UT has been going really slow and the mouse moves by itself. I just installed it today and I get like 3 fps.
System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3.0 GHz Processor
2GB DDR2 RAM
8600GTX 512 RAM
320GB SATA Hard Drive 7200RPM

Can Anyone Help Me?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It's probably power management and dual core operation that's causing the problem.
UT is not very good at understanding the processor speed of a modern processor.
This is solved by using a command line option to tell UT the clock speed of the processor. The value used should be the true clock frequency and not the marketing-speak CPU speed. For example, an x2AMD5200 processor will have a true clock speed of approximately 2.6GHz. The value of the command line parameter for that processor will be 2600. The value is obtained by multiplying the CPU clock frequency in GHz by 1000. For example: Clock frequency (GHz)
CPUSPEED= 2.0GHz
2000 2.4GHz
2400 0.9GHz (900MHz)
In MS Windows, for the above example AMD5200 CPU (clock speed 2.6GHz), the CPU speed is set by adding -CPUSPEED=2600 to the shortcut used to start UT.
Powersaving options

Speedstep (Intel) and Cool'n'Quiet options cause the CPU clock rate to vary according to the CPU load, temperature and power mode.

These confuse UT and need to be disabled whilst playing UT. Typically, these options will be found in the BIOS and as part of utilities like KPowersave.
You'll need to find the AMD dual core optimiser drivers (http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html) and possibly also use task manager to force UT to run on only one processor.

Phantom914

Oct 12, 2008
The Dual Core Optimizer doesn't work, I run the .exe and nothing happens. Also I ran UT with 1 processor and it didn't work.

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
This is a post

Funny... Unreal, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Unreal Tournament 3 are all kinda slow recently... thing is Team Fortress 2, Portal, Half-Life 2: ep2, Oblivion and Cysis (WTF) is without such slowdowns.

So I'm not the only person with this problem... I shall figure it out! As soon as I play some Armored Core 4 Answers and Oblivion (modded of course)...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I have a problem with UT1 when playing Monsterhunt, often it happens that I see no monsters at all, I have an empty room, but I know they are there because I hear the sounds and am under attack, other players also shoot as hell. Mostly they become visible after death.
It doesn't happen all the time, but regulary.

I have the newest utgl driver.

Evill_Bob

Cheese Hopping Rocket Spammer
Dec 19, 2005
In your computer, duh.
Do you have an nVidia card? Perhaps nVidia have messed up their drivers again - They do seem rather adept when it comes to that sort of thing...

Hang on, I gotta get the papers for it. I had someone else with mad skills custom build it for me and put a warranty on it for a year. Really a waste of money since the sucker is a unstoppable monster, both in durability and raw power.