Unreal is DEAD??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
But I bet the thread has lost a serious amount of really, really important replies during the enormous, unforgetable buf crash 2003!

Dinwitty, I COULD bump another "special" thread, but it's best to leave it burried. It'd be a bad idea bumping it.

I played Unreal for the first time on a p200 mmx, 32 mb ram and voodoo banshee and although I hated the framerates, I couldn't stop playing.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I had more luck than you - PII 450MHz, 64 MB RAM, 16MB Riva TNT - framerates were ok, even in 1024x768, high-detail!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I had to wait another six months before I got my superdeluxe, ahem, compaq :rolleyes: Never again, I tellz ya. Never again, what a mistake.
Amd k6-2, 500 mhz equipped with an 8 mb graphics card .. hahahaaaa.. such a noob back then.

I replaced it with the "superdeluxe" banshee and Unreal "ran ok".

Been playing unreal since 1999.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Well, in 1999 I got my Unreal Tournament Beta CD for 5$ on the Warsaw market "Jarmark Europa" - such CDs were produced by Russians and imported there back then. I recall that I couldn't switch to fullscreen and the only rendering I had set was software - I had no idea how to change it back then. Now that's noobish.

Just to clarify... The market I mentioned was the central of piracy before the internet connection became way easier to obtain in 2001 - since 2001 the market's popularity became miserable and the only good place for me to obtain beta leaks is internet.

However, although I no more download or buy pirated software (except for alpha/beta releases or cracks - I still don't like to be forced to insert any kind of CD into the drive to be able to play - I got used to non-protected games on the Amiga and that habit of NOT seatching through CDs remained), I will forever remember the "Jarmark Europa" as the place where I obtained the two most precious betas in my life.

Been playing Unreal since March 1998 (a month after the leak)
Been playing Unreal Tournament since April 1999 (immediately after the leak appeared on the J.E.)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Zenda said:
[edit] Just noticed ....w0000000000000000t ... Nali p00p fight .. HAH! Reminds me of old times. /me preps Lafnboys old P00pgun and does a Woo-styllee leaping horizontally whilst sprying in all directions BWAHAHAHAHAH ...... whhops ..... clears vision of the red haze that was in front of eyes and looks around with myopic embarassment ..... whistles a tuneless tune .....

Now if only "lafnboy" could post in this thread...

jmorhy

GoodOle'Taco-(DOG)-
Sep 29, 2004
MEXICO
www.unrealdestination.com
I been trying UT and it is pretty cool. get my but kicked often and not many newbie servers but I like it. Althought I keep going back to Unreal servers after about an hour of UT gameplay. Both games rock in their own way, I think we cannot take importance from them as they are part of our Unreal World. Thats my 2 pesos worth.

I been playing Unreal for 3 years. Started playing the storyline (had no idea you could play online) Spent Nights trying to survive the Skaarj and the marines). Found the CD on a discount rack an a Office depot. I was playing quake 2 back then and was looking for something similar.My computer was an Intel Celeron 433 with 64 mb ram and a 12 gb hd. ran pretty good.

Now Im hooked and will play the game as long as I can and as long as the game is alive. Woof! Woof!

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Guess we have something in common, jmorhy. Even bots sometimes kick my ass. Did you see the Unreal S3TC Map Pack, by the way? It's located on Hyper.nl Unreal Services site. People wanted these maps so badly... If you still want something that is related to the game, it can't be dead.

I like Unreal, but for multiplayer I would only ever use UT (although I haven't played that for a year now either).

I have never played the Unreal multiplayer online with Humans. Having only ever played the Mac version (even though I own the Win version I can't play it on Server 2003) I'm pretty stuck. It's perfectly okay in most respects and is a fairly reliable port, except it had support dropped for it after patch 224 - the porter devs came up with some cock 'n' bull story about how Epic didn't give them the code for patch 225 and thus when 226 eventually came out they were miles behind (although more likely they just couldn't be ****ed to spend any more time and money on it). This enevitably broke the network code between the two platforms so now you can only play against other Mac users. And there aren't any.

I have played it with bots so I got an idea of what it's like though, it was fairly good even with them on top notch intelligence. But I prefered UT in that department. Unreal is still my choice for a bloody good FPS game.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Bloody good FPS game - Amen to that. I just finished it once more - wth the Retexturing Project installed. The game's definitely been refreshed.

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
richardmoust.googlepages.com
unreal tournament g.o.t.y

i tHINK that the unreal tournament version g.o.t.y edition is one of the best games ever made this classic game i realy play often, is in mine eyes bether then ut2k4.I,m saying this i hope some1 has the same opinion.

greetz )bee(scarbelly.nl

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
i hope some1 has the same opinion.
I share your opinion. It seems the second generation Unreal (U2, XMP, UT2003, UT2004) is simply worse than the first-gen games, (U1 GOLD, UT GOTY). What's worse, Epic doesn't seem to understand that. Not that Unreal 2nd generation sucks - it doesn't but 1st generation is just brutalizing the competition. ;)

)bee(scarbelly.nl

Feb 15, 2006
holland
richardmoust.googlepages.com
unreal tournament g.o.t.y

yes ut goty and gold is the best ut ever.
When it did came out the system specs where abnormal high, so high that the system specs from now it runs very good.

example: (athlon 64 512, 256 mb vidcard)

i myself have a p3 450 mhz 256 mb vidcard from ati 640 mb mem

runs good in everything low world and skins but works fine for me.

when the game comes out in 1999 the system specs where just too high.

btw playing on jolt co uk dm-deck16

cheerz )bee(scarbelly.nl

take a look here www.bees.tk servers from utdemo version 348 ut goty
and ofcourse ut2k4

Dryvitman

Mar 28, 2006
unreal still alive

Hi my name is Dryvitman. I have played unreal 1 , ut 99, ut2k3 , & ut2k4. I like the maps better in unreal 1 , there's better sniping map for unreal 1. But if u use the same maps on ut99 as unreal1 , I still perfer unreal1 because in ut99 everyone plays for stats, which means that zoom will be disabled. And zoom is what makes the game fun for me.
I do wish the cache.ini or something like it would be added to unreal1. And there is a teleportgun for unreal1 that would be nice if it was added to dm games.
There's a lot of things I like about ut99, but I don't know of any severs that has zoom enabled so I don't play it too much.
ut2k3 I like the game , but I don't like the skins. And don't care much for the maps I have downloaded. I do like that u can enable zoom on your server in mulitplayer games for everyone to use.
utk4 like the different game types , but don't care for the skins, and haven't downloaded a while lot of maps I like. And 1 of the things that that make me dislike ut2k4 is the fact I can't turn zoom on in mulitplayer games for everyone. I don't play for stats, I play for fun. Usually on my lan anymore . Usually Me ,My oldest son, my daughter, my younger son, and any friends that are here.
I use to play on 2 or 3 dm servers in unreal all the time . The 2 servers I fravored had zoom enabled , and I really liked the maps, they are large maps good for sniping. But anymore they have turned zoom off, and put a anticamper mod in . When u play on dailup with a 300 or better ping hand to hand with someone with a 40 ping is out of the question. As for the anticamper mod I think they should be wrote where it would pervent camping in the line of sight of a spawn point, but leave u alone anywhere else.
But that's my opion.
And I think u should be able to turn zoom on in mulitplayer games , but that the stats be turned off in mp games that has zoom turned on. That way people like me that like to play with zoom on could , and it wouldn't effect people who play for stats.
But unreal games are great. cya Dryvitman

P.S. The skin I like to use in unreal1 is the pip urban camo male1. The skins in ut and newer r mostly to make u be seen. In real live the army puts u in camo to hind u. But thats my opion. cya

Last edited:

Hyper

Hyper.nl Unreal Services
Nov 21, 2003
Planet Earth
www.hypercoop.tk
You might want to check out the Snipers Paradise servers in Unreal (If you did not already) They have many great sniper maps (Many come from UT) and all kinds of sniper rifles with zoom. The only drawback is that you have to download a lot of maps and other files.