Unreal Evolution for UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

You need not look any further than the enhancements that have been made to the engine in terms of texturing to figure out why they wouldn't look good.

Converted, perhaps, with lots of additional brushwork. But straight imports, no.

Yeah, but that is also what i said, you should merge them, blend them, recollor them, darken them, brighten them, or whatever else you can do with them.

And using them straight is also possible, if you carefully choose additional textures from UT3 than its likelly doable. I never worked with UT3Ed so i cannot really tell what textures are inthere, but looking ingame than especially the wood/metal textures can certainly be used in combination with Unreal textures.

But still it would be interesting to see straight imports as well, to see how they behave if blooming and other effects are used on them. At the end to see if it works you have to try it. And maybe its a bad idea, but maybe it looks real cool.

As i posted in another thread, the PSD files cannot be gotten from the site unfortunatelly. So everybody is stuck with the utx packages. And although it seems you can load them in UT2004Ed i still would say export them using the UTPT

And to browse the textures you can use the Texture Database like GreatEmerald said. Just keep in mind, the texture database does not reflect the current status of the available S3TC textures. So the database can only be used to see what textures there are in any given package. And even though the texture database might tell you "S3TC is not available" this does not mean its not sitting in the actual S3TC packages.

And as with the other thread, if you decide to use them for pete's sake dont use the original package name from Unreal, use a unigue name for you package. So if you export and use the PlayrShp package, than dont go use that as a name for your own work. Give it a different name, help prevent online mismatches.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
But do you have the normal maps to go along with them?

I personally wouldn't bother using those textures as they have too much directional shadows and highlights which makes them just that a "Texture" insted of a colour channel for a material.

The final material should have the necessary components for these effects to make them look believable.

Diehard

No, what Creavion said, there are no bumpmaps available. But it is sonething i could keep in mind it it ever comes to the point to have the PSD files on the site. And Unreal and UT simply have the textures speak for them instead of using more artificial ways of showing them.

But its not that difficult to create the normal maps anyway, and its better if you do it yourself, so you can tweak the actual bumpmap rather than having me make them in bulk without proper testing.

but its an interesting point, and i certainly keep it in mind. And latelly i got large webspace donated, so space is less a problem. But still it would be alot of work. And on a sidenote, what fileformat(s) is(are) mostly used to store normal maps ?

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I'm making a small 1 on 1 map so i teach myself material and mesh creation.

If anyone wantys to have a go at creating anything for this then go for it.
Player charatcters, weopons, enemies etc.
All needed and it seems as though it's only me doing this at the moment.
If that is the case it will take a very long time.
;)
If people want this to happen before we retire then help.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Okay, so I don't feel like perusing through 21 pages of this to see if it's been discussed yet, but help me out with this...

What's the point?

I mean, UT3 is... more similar to UT's game play than 2kx, but on an engine and key system that has higher requisites... Wouldn't it make better sense to relive some UT action to make a patch for the original?

If there is any Unreal experience I'd like to have, it's the fast paced in your face, fps abundant game play from UT, without all the unbalanced "pings are stupid low now" weapon issues. Add wall kicks, and the hammers new ability to punt power ups, and you got a game. No x-meshes, no ludicrous acrobatics and floaty players, less pew pew, hell even leave out the double jump.

You could even take the liberty of decreasing the RJ rof, and the rocket load again, so it's less spammy. Anyone can download the game, and with today's average system specs, everyone can run it.

I'm all for reliving some of UT's glory, but I think the wrong angle is being taken here, unless I'm missing something, which please enlighten me.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Right, UE3.

That's what I'm saying, why UE3?
  • UT is cheap.
  • UT sys reqs (recommended): 266 MHz proc, 64 MB ram, 605 MB free HDD space. Everyone has that.
  • The community will be so niche, I doubt cheats would be a problem.
  • It's easier to map in. You could port back UT3 maps that you like.
  • The project would be significantly smaller, and as such more likely to be completed.
Any further effort could go into expanding a community, a little bit of advertising, maybe tooling with getting a comp style mod, and some cheat protection (I dislike bskins, and newnet, but consistency is nice, and some models in that game are just lost on some maps like that brown robot chick on curse).

I've heard of one community patch that was made, and apparently, there is a community for something similar maybe, at ut99.org. Gonna read up on it some more, but man... I'd love to have some developing input on a patch for that game... and on the old engine, that everyone can run.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
I've heard of one community patch that was made, and apparently, there is a community for something similar maybe, at ut99.org. Gonna read up on it some more, but man... I'd love to have some developing input on a patch for that game... and on the old engine, that everyone can run.
A patch? The patch "we" (ok in fact Feralidragon only of course, since he is/was our mappack scripter) made was for the mappack itself (fixed / replaced some maps and the system files of the UTR pickups) The UTR Pickup stuff had of course some bugs which were fixed during the .. I hate it to say .. 3 patches, although some new features were added as well.

Edit: Currenty the only ENGINE patch for UEngine 1 in development is by Oldunreal.com (and only for Unreal 1). Several nice features are already included like new editor tools (e.g "Lighting only" (known from UEngine 2 of course), better align possibilities...) or new engine features (Distance Fog, DXT Texture support [whenever I will be asked about that, I always note those both at the beginning^^],...)

Last edited: