Unreal early cuts: Pictures

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
heh, quick reply ;), and finally a pic of the old Unreal logo
-I've got a lot of old pix like this, I just chose the very interesting ones.

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
I have quite a lot too:
uncb1.jpg

(if we're not careful this could wind up being a very long thread - and rather heavy on those modem users ;))

The early mpegs and avi's of the game are great to watch too. It's interesting to watch it evolve over time and become the game that was eventually released, and how incredibly different that was from the early shots and movies.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I could have swore I had a pic of the fire and ice slith but I seem to be missing a lot that I thought I had:(
It's also odd that the Automag model changed. The maps I can understand since the screens show boxy construction, not as developed as the retail unrela levels.

Techno JF

He Who Has Powerful Words
Well, that certainly is a treasure trove, but unfortunately I think they took the screenshots down from the site. I imagine I'll be downloading them.

I've been looking at that early UnrealEd screenshot. I find it strange that I can't pin down exactly where in the SkyCity that is. However, I remember there being no Brutes in the final release of the SkyCity. I'm also noticing a large number of Textures in the Texture Browser that I don't think were in the final release of Unreal. Oh well; they did say that they had enough material for two or three games when they were finished. ;)

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
Yeah I added a few things to my little collection from there some time back, it's great that some sites keep archives like that.

Does anyone remember Aeon's Archive or whatever it was called? (a site dedicated to old media of games like Unreal and Quake)
He's still around: http://www.planetquake.com/aeons , but the old archive site is now gone (though he does plan to redo it someday - think there's a holding page there for it now)

I'm pretty sure I've now got most of the original pre-release movies of Unreal, and thanks to 3Dgamers all the screenshots too. What I really want now is those maps that are mentioned in the strategy guide! (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34554) :)

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
Unrelated I guess really, but I'm on a nostalgia trip now...does anyone remember Fleshdance's unreal maps?

I think he's moved on to doing level design professionally now, and I can't find any info on his whereabouts, but he made what were arguably (certainly IMHO) some of the best DM maps ever for Unreal. I used to do the little 'appetisers' for his levels on his site - kind of 'alternative' reviews (probably quite embarrassing if I read them now).

Dr.Haggard

Indifferent
Oct 16, 2001
UK
Visit site
I have 8 pre-release movies, ranging from 1.7 to 29MB (and another very big one on a magazine cover cd that's in a special format and requires a separate program to run, but that one is the big release-time movie anyway).

I'd love to compare with you guys (fnar) and see if there's anything floating around that I haven't seen.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Originally posted by Hellscrag
Mebbe UnrealSP could do an archive... just an idea.

I think that would be a kickass idea! We could get as many old pics of Unreal as possible! :D

I'm going to see if Tim Sweeney will allow me to view some of their OLD content, the stuff that didn't make it. :)