Unreal beta the begining

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
JohnDoe641 said:
Yeah, that's the name of it!

The hell if I know what I did with the backup copy I downloaded, but someone made it a playable weapon and it was quite a fun gun to use. They added sounds and ammo clips, it was nice. :)

hmm i know there are ALOT of quadshot conversions (yup as much as probably deck16/face clones) but they are all for ut, i found one interesting for unreal though, think i got it from oldunreal

does anyone know more information about that magnum like gun what i see in some previews of the game? i have a few shots and a movie where the player uses it, but i cant upload them at the moment :(
someone once told me it got replaced by the automag, is this true?

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
dinwitty said:
were the demos on magazine CDs?

Not that Im aware of.. I remeber something of the time, and that was they werent going to release a demo..(you want a demo? buy it) Any old sites that ive checked seem to back this up.. But thats not to say there wasnt betas floating about, as we seen with rogue and the 95 beta.. Im guessing they werent public releases but someone may have them, and its always possible that a magazine released one of the betas after the full release.. But then Im grasping at straws

Cheers
as

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
dinwitty said:
were the demos on magazine CDs?

I've been scouring ftp sites and have come across a huge amount of SP maps and all sorts of things. Well they all seem to be modded later by vaious authors, so no luck as yet on any 96 or 97 betas or any other original stuff as yet.. But you mentioned that there was a few other maps that didnt make it either..

Just wondering if you or anyone else know the map names.. ?

It's also always possible that some of the beta stuff made it into others maps but there's too many to check them all.

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
yup, soledad is probably the most famous of the non released levels.

untill now i know:

soledad
cryoxx
skycity (i think this is the one we saw in the 95 demo, got replaced by skytown later on)

i also remember a level wich looked alot like some city using the crypt texture set, i remember it was a city with two buildings and a river flowing in the middle with a bridge crossing it... i wonder what happened to it.

i always though soledad was meant to be a skaarj breeding ground, the diamond shaped holes in the wall looked so much like those diamond shaped holes in the skaarj mothership wich spawn pupae...

so possibly soledad was supposed to be the "old" mothership level?

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
soledad
cryox
nexxus

From Inoxx's site:

The original Unreal Design was actually much bigger than the final game. I did several additionnal levels that were cut from the game when we realised that maintaining to many levels would be too difficult and might delay the game some more.
Some of these additionnal levels were found in the Unreal Extension pack, Return to Na Pali, with several additionnal levels from Legend.
My "cut" levels were named Nexxus and Cryox. Nexxus was a Level using the Crypt texture set and Cryox was another Mercenary SpaceShip were you had to swim thru Liquid Nitrogen.

We're recreating Cryox in our sequel project at UnrealSP. :)

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
SuperBee said:
Some of the dm maps that never made it are listed in the original strategy guide:
Morb Fanza, Splash, Villa2, and Sky14.

wern't those released in the 3dfx/Creative demo.
I believe I still have that somewhere. They're not bad levels, I really don't see why they were cut. Just not really detailed. Perhaps they may of been refined if they were kept.

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Thanks guys this is all good info..

I'd Imagine the 3dfx demo is out there still so those maps should be at least recoverable, as for the others at least it gives us a target for whoever's interested.

It's also great to see so many people still willing to do things for Unreal 1 :)

cheers

ATimson

High Master Procrastinator
Aug 22, 2002
unrealclassic.com appears to be dead.... is there anyone else who's hosting them, or could someone e-mail them to me?

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Well it all depends on what you guys are looking for.. Some of the maps there are no links.. For the 3dfx maps you can get them here http://www.oldunreal.com/ Plus many others...

For the Unreal95 beta check the thread in this forum

cheers

cookiemonster[MoA] said:
yes all the links in this post are dead.So anyone with these demos or levels,please eather post a place where er all can get them or email them to me

Asgard

Oct 6, 2000
Visit site
Well in a final effort to locate some of the beta meshes maps skins models etc I contacted Epic..

Unfortunately the response was "Sorry but those assets disappeared a long time ago."

So not even Epic has an achive of these things.. So unless anyone else has them theyre lost for all time

Cheers
Asgard