Turning V'Sync off

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pillsbury Flow Boy

The Stairway to Revvin'
Jan 22, 2001
CC,NV,USA
www.knightgames.net
Can this damage my monitor, say if the frame rate goes above the vertical refresh? I was told, once upon a time, that this can cause damage, and to leave it off no matter what... BTW, online it can't because I'm limited to 40 fps by my 56k modem... but with it off it feels less laggy, with it on it sometimes feels like it's jumping... and just wanted to know if by turning it off I can blow up my monitor...

Thanks in advance :)

Viking1

Highly Unstable
Aug 12, 2000
Winnipeg
www.cainsunited.net
No, turning VSync off does not hurt your monitor. The only thing that VSync does is limit your framerate to the monitor refresh rate. In other words it syncronizes them for best visual quality.

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
Not sure if it even matters since it is impossible for you to actually see a higher frame rate than what your refresh rate is set to. VSync probably just limits it so you don't have wasted or lost frames above whatever your refresh rate is.

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
AFAIK, turning vertical synch off doesn't harm the monitor itself but I've heard reports of tearing in the game due to the lack of vsync-- like the renderer is out of synch basically, but I've not noticed any such tearing and for some reason (atleast when I was using my old monitor with 60hz refresh rate) I noticed lots more stuttering with it on rather than having it off

atleast as far as Nvidia's drivers are concerned, there's a setting for vsync that says something to the effect of 'max frames to render ahead,' if you leave that at the default value (3), you probably won't have tearing problems.. and while it may not make much sense but it doesn't really limit your fps.. I've gotten last sec fps values twice my monitor refresh rate with that setting, so.. ;)