This thing called life

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
So you've played UT plus a ton of other games, you're a few years down the road and then, wham, you begin to think that some of what they were brought up to believe was utter bull****.

For example, "work hard and you will get somewhere in life". What utter crap! You can work until your health gives way and noone would give a toss. People should say something along the lines of, "dress up like you're a star, give the impression of working hard and make friends with influential people (and get into other people's pants if you have to)". If you have kids and want to do them a favour, teach them people skills because that's how you really get somewhere in life.

Same goes for studying. We're brought up to believe that a diploma is made of gold. In fact, it's just a glorified piece of toilet paper to say you're slightly "better" than other people are. And all it really gains you is that an employer is only slightly less reluctant to take you in and can tell his counterparts that he has a couple of Bachelors and Masters working for him (prestige points++). Whoop-dee-fing-do. How satisfied people must feel to attain such a result after basically spending 3-5+ years of their life stuffing their mind with lots of information of which only 15% will probably end up being useful.

Then there's this "get a girlfriend, get married, have kids, get a house, blah blah blah (and die off at an early age so you don't cost the government too much)" nonsense. Whoever came up with this recipe? If there's one thing that's guaranteed to make the years zip by in the blink of an eye it's this routine. Notice how most people who are locked/completely absorbed in this way of life probably couldn't tell you what colour the ceiling of the train station is even though they transit through it each day. They probably don't know anything about the world around them either except what they hear/see on the News. Oh, and let's no forget the all important holidays to say you've been somewhere else from which you'll probably come back more tired than when you went. Notice how along the way you're expected to pay for these expensive things like weddings, funerals, insurance, taxes, inheritance and whatnot or buy a copy of the Sims (or World of Warcraft) to make believe if you can't afford it.

Factoid #365431: One of the most common regrets of people on their death beds is that they worked too hard and didn't take care enough of their family/friends.

Really, it's like these are all carefully organized consumerist expectations from the 50s/60s and that these same expectations simply can't be upheld anymore after the US megabanks decided in 2008 to say f* this and rip everyone off. Like cows for the milking.

Down with the establishment. Maybe each of us should invent their own rules and concentrate on what makes us happy.

[/rant]

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
What was your 'gold diploma'? Because most of them are bad (Political Science, English, Communications, Psychology, Philosophy <--- BAD).

Engineering is a good one. Most Engineers starting salary is $60k. Most money you can make with only 4 years of college, degree wise.

Mar 6, 2004
I used to play video games and wanna be competitive in it, but now that i'm 26 and suck at alot of things and realize i wasted my life away on things like video games which get you nowhere in life (seriously...pro gamers? play the game 100 hours a day every day? yuck! not that i was a pro gamer), i want to change and be more "normal" for someone my age. I'll still play video games, but not all day long. I'm finally moving out of my dads house in September with a friend, and plan to start getting more hobbies, drivers license so i can go for road trips with people, etc. I still wanna play video games but as long as i did it all day, my problems never got fixed. I'm not one of those people who wanna get married, have kids, a house, etc.

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
Wow Azura, you basically tapped I into my mind! I absolutely think the same.
"Get degree, gf, $$$, kids, house, DIE while you still can pay the bills!"

All that leads to my suicidal thoughts. Life seems to be so predefined! I hate living stereotypes!

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I know a good couple. The guy is the lead singer in a cover band. The misses used to work for the regional jobs agency and is now into arts. They probably have a low income but they've chosen to lead a modest lifestyle, have beautiful kids and seem quite happy.

What was your 'gold diploma'? Because most of them are bad (Political Science, English, Communications, Psychology, Philosophy <--- BAD).

Don't have it yet. It'll be a BSc in Systems Analysis/Programming. The media says there's a shortage of programmers but that's not entirely true as there's mostly demand for seniors. Coupled with apparent low interest for an internship (guess I can't expect much as I'm in my thirties) the diploma probably isn't worth the years I put into it.

Engineering is a good one. Most Engineers starting salary is $60k. Most money you can make with only 4 years of college, degree wise.

Yes, have to admit that an engineering degree is still good. Unemployment can still last for 2-3 years. There was an engineer in a Java training group with me that had trouble finding a job. He finally managed to get something in Brussels last year.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I used to a few years ago but stopped because of tobacco (don't fancy breathing in radioactive polonium 210...). Open to alternatives. And yeah, boosting dopamine levels is a good way to ignore the bull**** around oneself :)

Edit: Found this informative link: http://www.ukcia.org/culture/smoking.php#1

Uhh, what? People smoke weed with tobacco? Seriously?

Who the **** smokes weed with tobacco?

That is seriously one of the stupidest things I've heard in a while. I mean it's fine if you DO want tobacco in it, but that web page you linked make's it seem like there's no other alternative. wtf? :lol: I'm confused. :con:

Edit: Yeah, I went back and read everything just to be sure I wasn't mistaken. Apparently they think smoking a joint WITHOUT tobacco is impossible. Jesus, people in the UK must be ****ing dumb, no offense. I really don't want to be an ass, but god I can't get over how stupid that is. :lol:

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
hash pretty much has to be mixed with tabacco as it lakes the fibres to hold it together in the paper.

Okay, now that makes a lot more sense, but what's the point of getting hash if you're gonna smoke it in a joint. :p

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I realised this crap a long time ago, it's why I spent a long time freelancing as a game programmer - the pay is ****e and you don't tend to get a whole lot of good experience or learn from it, but you can take holiday whenever you want, or take your work with you most of the time. I've seen most of Europe in just five years as a result.

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Okay, now that makes a lot more sense, but what's the point of getting hash if you're gonna smoke it in a joint. :p

indeed, especially as hash is generally of poorer quality. it gets mixed with other things... I even heard of someone who'd cut it with rubber from used car tires. but i'm guessing people'll buy it due to availability & price. I think peer presure plays a role too. Hash'll also have different effects on the user.

I never actually smoked a cigarette even, but as I used to live in France and Canada i seemed to know all the right people.

people who grew it, people who dealt it and everyone but me smoked it.

i just drink too much :D

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Uhh, what? People smoke weed with tobacco? Seriously?

Because of what Big-Al explained and maybe burning temperature too. I've rarely seen people here in Belgium smoke weed or haschich (brown stuff with resin) pure in public. But then most people I've known smoked cigarettes too. Of the two, weed is the less common. I'm guessing bars of haschich are more widespread because of people coming from Morocco. It's probably mixed with other stuff though (dirt, ether, shoe polish, paraffin, pollen, henna...).

P.S: Thought pot used to be slang for opium.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
indeed, especially as hash is generally of poorer quality. it gets mixed with other things... I even heard of someone who'd cut it with rubber from used car tires. but i'm guessing people'll buy it due to availability & price. I think peer presure plays a role too. Hash'll also have different effects on the user.

I never actually smoked a cigarette even, but as I used to live in France and Canada i seemed to know all the right people.

people who grew it, people who dealt it and everyone but me smoked it.

i just drink too much :D

Because of what Big-Al explained and maybe burning temperature too. I've rarely seen people here in Belgium smoke weed or haschich (brown stuff with resin) pure in public. But then most people I've known smoked cigarettes too. Of the two, weed is the less common. I'm guessing bars of haschich are more widespread because of people coming from Morocco. It's probably mixed with other stuff though (dirt, ether, shoe polish, paraffin, pollen, henna...).

P.S: Thought pot used to be slang for opium.

Ugh, wow. Is it just me or does smoking in Europe sound like a terrible, terrible thing?

I mean, is it even possible to get nice skunk or dro in Europe? Why don't people smoke that?

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org

exactly. if you go to college just to get any degree for the sake of having any old degree then you're wasting time and money.

play the game 100 hours a day every day?
well that's your problem. you need to play 200hrs a day

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Ugh, wow. Is it just me or does smoking in Europe sound like a terrible, terrible thing?

I mean, is it even possible to get nice skunk or dro in Europe? Why don't people smoke that?

nah,obviously Azura and al just don't know where to get the good stuff.
Hasish is the premium class of THC so I always have to laugh when someone mistakes compressed garbage with hasish AND pays for that.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002

I knew a few people that every now and then brought back skunk and white widow (big bud too I think). I've also heard of people bringing oil back from Morocco but never tried it.

nah,obviously Azura and al just don't know where to get the good stuff.
Hasish is the premium class of THC so I always have to laugh when someone mistakes compressed garbage with hasish AND pays for that.

True. And it's going to get more difficult now that the Netherlands has forbidden sale to foreigners. Also, it usually shows when the hashish has been mixed with something else. Normally the stuff should be slightly soft and give off a nice whiff. If it's shiny and hard then chances are that polish or something else been mixed before something was done to solidy it. This will give off more acrid and slightly unpleasant vapours.

P.S: I've heard that people in Italy go to Switzerland to get their stuff. Apparently there's a legal loophole over there?

Last edited:

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Maybe each of us should invent their own rules and concentrate on what makes us happy.
Then no one would work and there would be no doctors, and no microwavable burger manufacturers. Also, no new games. Also, no canned tuna fish.

IS THAT REALLY A BETTER WORLD?