This is what i call a good thread :)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Draco-1

I've been to hell, and I spell it DMV.
Jan 30, 2000
Visit site
Actually, you really can't ahve a pre-made solution. For ever tactic there's a counter tactic. If you pit two good teams together, you'll see that they don't stick to the same tactic each round. A good trick or two may work for a couple rounds, but the other team will catch on and be ready for them the next time, so they'll change to something else. Every game like this, when you have good teams playing against each other, is constantly evolving as teams try out new tactics and new ideas to try and get the better of the other team.

I've played in a couple counter-strike tournaments (before the ruined the game), and we were one of the top teams. When we met up against another of the top teams, it was a tooth-and-nail battle to find the combination of tactics that would set the other team off balance. And nothing is sweeter than seeing your nemesis go down like a sac o' potatos. :) We cheered for days when we beat our nemesis, [H2H].

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
tactics is right. however, getting a team to bring team tactics into play is a very different story. When I play CS, my mates are very rarely interested in tactics. I can even boast that a lot of the tactics now used by my local cybercafe clans were propegated by me. It slowly spread around and finally a clanner decided they were good ideas and started using em. However, the broad tactics which I've been using do not seem to have catched on yet.

This is an example of how hard it is to get people to "think" then shoot.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
That remind me of an old thread i started on the HW forum...

The difference between tactics and strategies... Tactics are mean for actions you do to deal with an immediate problem. Strategies are more the overall plan you follow to achieve a goal. Tactics can be made on the fly easily, strategies need much more time... Tactics can be reused as long as they work, but a strategy need to be adapted or rethought a lot...

So combat tactics is what you learn to do while playing and training, but strategy is something not everyone can do or think of themselves.

[This message was edited by R-Force on Dec 25, 2000 at 23:40.]

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
So when peoples talk about planned attacks and trying to put the other team off ballance they talk about strategies... When you are thinking about how you can defeat an enemy that is just the other side of a wall, is more a combinations of tactics under an overall strategy... Anyway, this is quite like the "debate" about clip and magazine: very alike but different in the meaning...

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Draco : when i talk about premade solutions, i mean all the instinctive manouvers people develope when playing games and that they will use every time they encounter a problem they faced before... For exemple, in RTS, when you face a number of unit x, you will probably build a number of unit y to kill them because you know unit y is good at killing Xs... It's a lot like when you see someone in INF drawing a grenade : you can charge him to kill him up close so he can't use the grenade effectively... Circle straffing is one of those manouvers (you can call it DMers tactic) someone will attempt every time the situation permit in normal FPS..

[This message was edited by R-Force on Dec 25, 2000 at 23:38.]

Evil_Joe

Jan 22, 2000
PA
Visit site
the only thing I disagree with is reflexes. Sure tactician don't rely on them but anyone in the field does, you train your reflexes to the point that the react before you have time to think, any boxer or wrestler or special forcers etc. trains this way. Sure you plan, and you plan on the fly but sometimes you respond by reflex and it saves you.

Map and the world maps with you.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i think to many people confuse tactics and strategy. stategy=the plan. tactics=tools 4 the plan. so using your reflexes is a tactic.

Can you spot the sniper?
spotthesniper.jpg

Too Late!