This game has huge potential

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I dont understand why this game did not go mainstream!!!
As a competitive player who played all sort of games (cs, cod, wow, dota now starcraft2) this game is reallly a good game. Something failed in the release and marketing phase and if another ut is to be made it must take big ground in the fps arena (on pc plzzz). You know, i believe there is 2 type of fps the cod/cs style and the ut/quake/tf style and in the second type ut is clearly a superior game (and i played all of them) but it failed somehow.

I'm going to copy and paste an essay I wrote about UT3 which I send as a private message to newcomers on the Epic Games forum who don't understand why UT3 has so few people playing it online.

-----------------------------------

A Newcomer's Guide to understanding why UT3 is not very popular online and a brief history of Unreal Tournament

Here's what you should know if you're new to the Unreal Tournament series. Epic first released a single player adventure FPS game called Unreal which challenged Quake II and became a big hit. Then Epic released the first Unreal Tournament for online multiplayer.

The original Unreal Tournament game (UT99 or UT-GOTY--game of the year edition) was fantastic and had a huge and very dedicated, fanatical fan base. Over ten thousand custom maps and mods were released for it and hundreds of clans competed in leagues and on ladders. When I purchased the game in 2001, two years after its release, there were hundreds of populated servers and thousands of people could be found playing Capture-the-Flag online 24/7, and that was just for CTF, which was UT99's primary game type. In fact, many people still play UT99 CTF greedily to this day on public servers. People also still play 5v5 CTF competitively on private servers in spontaneously-organized games called PUG matches, which feel like clan matches where players have assigned positions and use teamwork and voice comm.

In late 2002 Epic released UT 2003 which proved to be a failure and was rejected by a great many UT99 fans. UT 2003 had been influenced by consolization and had a floaty-dodgy feel. However, Epic added some new game types and released an improved version as UT 2004, which has proven to be a decent game though its movement and overall gameplay pales in comparison to the Original UT99. Consequently, because of a floaty-dodgy feel that increased the importance of hitscan skills--sniper rifle/lightening gun and shock rifle primary--UT 2004 didn't do well for on-foot games such as CTF and was never nearly as popular as UT99. UT 2004's saving grace was its Onslaught (Warfare in UT3) and Invasion-RPG games, which is what most UT 2004 players are playing today.

UT3--A Consolized Stillborn--Why Few People Play UT3

Perhaps because of the success of Gears of War on the consoles, Epic became infected with the consolitus virus, which is too bad because the basic UT3 gameplay and feel is decent but everything that surrounds it is just god-awful.

The PC version of UT3 was released in retail form as a buggy, consolized game that felt like a beta and needed much more polishing. So, one reason why few people play UT3 is that players were turned off from the very beginning. When the Beta Demo (as it was called) was released in October of 2007, a number of hardcore UT99 fans who had rejected UT 2004 liked the UT3 game play and were enthusiastic about it. They despised the user interface and server browser of the Demo but everyone assumed that Epic would bring it up to UT99 and UT 2004 standards for the finished game. However, when they learned that the retail release of UT3 = buggy beta demo they lost interest in UT3 completely.

Upon release the Server Browser barely functioned and you could not even make a list of server Favorites! The User Interface felt clunky and slow and offered far fewer adjustment options than UT99 and UT2004. Unlike the earlier games where you could summon the User Interface menus instantaneously, in UT3 you had to wait while the Main Menu loaded every time you wanted to access the User Interface and you could not summon the UI while on a server. In contrast, in UT99 and UT2004 the UI could be summoned almost instantaneously anywhere at anytime. If I remember correctly, UT3 also handled custom content poorly and server admins had difficulty hosting servers (you couldn’t host a Linux-based server). UT3 also had an awful, confusing file structure, making the production and management of custom content unnecessarily difficult. In short, going from UT99 or UT2004 to UT3 felt like downgrading from a loaded Lexus to a stripped-down Kia or Yugo. Additionally, UT3 has always suffered from relying heavily on Gamespy and sometimes people cannot “log in” to the game because Gamespy is down, which was never a problem in UT99 or UT 2004. Consequently, a great many UT fans rejected UT3 and play UT99 and UT2004 to this day.

Thus, the main reason why UT3 has low player counts is because it was heavily consolized. It was also released at a strategically bad time, right when three other heavily-advertised big-name titles were coming onto the market: The Orange Box (Team Fortress 2), Crysis, and Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. UT3 just had an awful release. It not only needed a few more months worth of polishing and development, but it also had several formidable competitors.

It’s a shame because UT3 did manage to get a few thing right. The UT3 gameplay is not bad and the feel of the movement is pretty decent. However, it is still not nearly as good as that of UT99. UT3’s Warfare game, which is probably the most popular game in UT3, is pretty decent but the vehicles have been consolized (no first person view, even for flying vehicles) and are inferior to those of UT 2004’s Onslaught. Also, UT3 did not include the Invasion game type. So, another reason why UT3 has low player counts is that many people who purchased UT3 just prefer UT99 and UT 2004.

Today after a couple patches, UT3 is in much better condition. The server browser is much better but the user interface still feels consolized, clunky, and slow, and the gameplay is about the same as it was before. The current MapVote also pales in comparison to the polished MapVote in UT 2004 and the MapVote in UT99.

Perhaps if UT3 had been released as it is now in its current state more people would play it online. However, it was released as a stillborn and was pretty much doomed from the start. It was just never able to attract the high player counts needed to sustain a decent player count and thus had little enthusiasm surrounding it, which would help bring new players to the game and retain their interest. Relatively few custom maps and mods were produced for UT3 and it never had an appreciable clan community.

If you want to play Unreal Tournament, then I strongly suggest that you purchase the original UT99 and UT 2004. You can find active Capture-the-Flag servers and communities for UT99 (especially if you are willing to play Instagib, Sniper-only, and the Strangelove mod) and you can find active Onslaught and Invasion Monster Mash RPG servers for UT 2004. You will not only be able to play the greatest online multiplayer FPS game of all time (UT99), but you'll also be making a statement that you want and support high quality online multiplayer games intended and designed for the PC.

Hopefully Epic will take the avalanche of criticism it received for UT3 to heart and release a real, bona fide UT99-2 with an option to enable UT 2004 movement designed exclusively or at least primarily for the PC and made to feel like a polished PC game upon its release. Sadly, it is possible that the consolitus virus has infected Epic so badly that it may have lost all interest in producing high-quality PC games.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you want to play UT and you like UT3, keep playing UT3. Thanks.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I'm going to copy and paste an essay I wrote about UT3 which I send as a private message to newcomers on the Epic Games forum who don't understand why UT3 has so few people playing it online.

-----------------------------------

A Newcomer's Guide to understanding why UT3 is not very popular online and a brief history of Unreal Tournament

Here's what you should know if you're new to the Unreal Tournament series. Epic first released a single player adventure FPS game called Unreal which challenged Quake II and became a big hit. Then Epic released the first Unreal Tournament for online multiplayer.

The original Unreal Tournament game (UT99 or UT-GOTY--game of the year edition) was fantastic and had a huge and very dedicated, fanatical fan base. Over ten thousand custom maps and mods were released for it and hundreds of clans competed in leagues and on ladders. When I purchased the game in 2001, two years after its release, there were hundreds of populated servers and thousands of people could be found playing Capture-the-Flag online 24/7, and that was just for CTF, which was UT99's primary game type. In fact, many people still play UT99 CTF greedily to this day on public servers. People also still play 5v5 CTF competitively on private servers in spontaneously-organized games called PUG matches, which feel like clan matches where players have assigned positions and use teamwork and voice comm.

In late 2002 Epic released UT 2003 which proved to be a failure and was rejected by a great many UT99 fans. UT 2003 had been influenced by consolization and had a floaty-dodgy feel. However, Epic added some new game types and released an improved version as UT 2004, which has proven to be a decent game though its movement and overall gameplay pales in comparison to the Original UT99. Consequently, because of a floaty-dodgy feel that increased the importance of hitscan skills--sniper rifle/lightening gun and shock rifle primary--UT 2004 didn't do well for on-foot games such as CTF and was never nearly as popular as UT99. UT 2004's saving grace was its Onslaught (Warfare in UT3) and Invasion-RPG games, which is what most UT 2004 players are playing today.

UT3--A Consolized Stillborn--Why Few People Play UT3

Perhaps because of the success of Gears of War on the consoles, Epic became infected with the consolitus virus, which is too bad because the basic UT3 gameplay and feel is decent but everything that surrounds it is just god-awful.

The PC version of UT3 was released in retail form as a buggy, consolized game that felt like a beta and needed much more polishing. So, one reason why few people play UT3 is that players were turned off from the very beginning. When the Beta Demo (as it was called) was released in October of 2007, a number of hardcore UT99 fans who had rejected UT 2004 liked the UT3 game play and were enthusiastic about it. They despised the user interface and server browser of the Demo but everyone assumed that Epic would bring it up to UT99 and UT 2004 standards for the finished game. However, when they learned that the retail release of UT3 = buggy beta demo they lost interest in UT3 completely.

Upon release the Server Browser barely functioned and you could not even make a list of server Favorites! The User Interface felt clunky and slow and offered far fewer adjustment options than UT99 and UT2004. Unlike the earlier games where you could summon the User Interface menus instantaneously, in UT3 you had to wait while the Main Menu loaded every time you wanted to access the User Interface and you could not summon the UI while on a server. In contrast, in UT99 and UT2004 the UI could be summoned almost instantaneously anywhere at anytime. If I remember correctly, UT3 also handled custom content poorly and server admins had difficulty hosting servers (you couldn’t host a Linux-based server). UT3 also had an awful, confusing file structure, making the production and management of custom content unnecessarily difficult. In short, going from UT99 or UT2004 to UT3 felt like downgrading from a loaded Lexus to a stripped-down Kia or Yugo. Additionally, UT3 has always suffered from relying heavily on Gamespy and sometimes people cannot “log in” to the game because Gamespy is down, which was never a problem in UT99 or UT 2004. Consequently, a great many UT fans rejected UT3 and play UT99 and UT2004 to this day.

Thus, the main reason why UT3 has low player counts is because it was heavily consolized. It was also released at a strategically bad time, right when three other heavily-advertised big-name titles were coming onto the market: The Orange Box (Team Fortress 2), Crysis, and Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. UT3 just had an awful release. It not only needed a few more months worth of polishing and development, but it also had several formidable competitors.

It’s a shame because UT3 did manage to get a few thing right. The UT3 gameplay is not bad and the feel of the movement is pretty decent. However, it is still not nearly as good as that of UT99. UT3’s Warfare game, which is probably the most popular game in UT3, is pretty decent but the vehicles have been consolized (no first person view, even for flying vehicles) and are inferior to those of UT 2004’s Onslaught. Also, UT3 did not include the Invasion game type. So, another reason why UT3 has low player counts is that many people who purchased UT3 just prefer UT99 and UT 2004.

Today after a couple patches, UT3 is in much better condition. The server browser is much better but the user interface still feels consolized, clunky, and slow, and the gameplay is about the same as it was before. The current MapVote also pales in comparison to the polished MapVote in UT 2004 and the MapVote in UT99.

Perhaps if UT3 had been released as it is now in its current state more people would play it online. However, it was released as a stillborn and was pretty much doomed from the start. It was just never able to attract the high player counts needed to sustain a decent player count and thus had little enthusiasm surrounding it, which would help bring new players to the game and retain their interest. Relatively few custom maps and mods were produced for UT3 and it never had an appreciable clan community.

If you want to play Unreal Tournament, then I strongly suggest that you purchase the original UT99 and UT 2004. You can find active Capture-the-Flag servers and communities for UT99 (especially if you are willing to play Instagib, Sniper-only, and the Strangelove mod) and you can find active Onslaught and Invasion Monster Mash RPG servers for UT 2004. You will not only be able to play the greatest online multiplayer FPS game of all time (UT99), but you'll also be making a statement that you want and support high quality online multiplayer games intended and designed for the PC.

Hopefully Epic will take the avalanche of criticism it received for UT3 to heart and release a real, bona fide UT99-2 with an option to enable UT 2004 movement designed exclusively or at least primarily for the PC and made to feel like a polished PC game upon its release. Sadly, it is possible that the consolitus virus has infected Epic so badly that it may have lost all interest in producing high-quality PC games.
Don't forget the Gearsofwar Syndrome it has.

larafan25

Oct 11, 2008
spend time playing what you like rather than trying to 'convert' others to your way of thinking.

If someone doesn't like games that I play, well I don't care.
As long as they don't try and stop me why should I care what they think?

same for you.

I don't agree.

If I am interested in a game, and then discover ways it could change and improve, I'd be posting those opinions for the devs to see stat.

However I will feel bad about changing the game for people who do like it, I just think I am always right.

ok that last bit was a joke:D

But still, I think it's cool for people to give their ideas.

As long as it is not like wanting to change the entire genre of the game and what it's about.

However I myself wouldn't dare try that in an unreal tournament forum because I hardly know the series, only played one game.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Yes, INV is a mod, but last time I checked it didn't have U1 monsters.

That was the biggest complaint about INV in UT2k4 also, UT99 monsters looked like crap in it. People wanted better looking mobs (I.E. satore monster mutator for UT2k4). Of course most of them didn't understand the perf tradeoff that would occur with UT3 quality mobs en-mass, I know galtanator's (my apologies if I spelled that wrong) did a pretty good job but alot of those INV gamers didn't wait around for it.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
UT2003 and UT2004 did have more player models, but they also had a lot less detail. The characters in UT3 took longer to make so they added the armor pieces stuff, for better or worse. Outside of models, though, I'm not sure how you could say that UT3 has less content since it has roughly the same number of maps and more vehicles.

I loved the UT2004 player models even if they had less detail. In UT3 you can't really distinguish between them if you stand more away. Of course they looks great and beautiful close in detail!

For me UT3 is the only game I can play continually and still have a lot of fun. Everytime if I buy a new piece of hardware and push the settings higher (nHancer) this game looks better. The engine is still state of the art and one of its best.

I love UT3!

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I have 2 question mates;

Why this thread is entitled as sticky?

And more relevant righ nao, is this reason what wartouristo presented like an one more ut3 player is really Jeff?

If so, welcome again lol.

[joke]ut3 haters to bonfire nao! UT3 rulez![/joke]

Nao but what nobody can deny is that despite the failure of Epic, they've done what they could to compensate the community for their initial disappointment Having paid the original price of nearly 60 euros (here in Europe). For me I say Epic had loved and still loves the Unreal series but not in the same way you would have made the community, as Epic apart from being a company for making money are also made up of artists (and developers depending on the artists).

As you know, artists are people who do not like to evolve and always repeated the same although in the case of UT in general they have done is to keep old things and put new things.

Although take years to return to be willing to make a new ut (not because it is now parked so tired of you, but because they are working on other projects (bulletstorm and gow3 and who knows if any more hidden). I am sure that sooner or later Early something will.

Flak and all Epic team my support, I enjoy and have enjoyed the game and the whole saga if you're reading me UT powa! XD

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 chars are scar chick amazing

I loved the UT2004 player models even if they had less detail. In UT3 you can't really distinguish between them if you stand more away. Of course they looks great and beautiful close in detail!

I seriously need to get more high-quality UT3 character models. Skaarj Pack and MacTom's Liandri Robots were holy ****.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I seriously need to get more high-quality UT3 character models. Skaarj Pack and MacTom's Liandri Robots were holy ****.

These r some of the best looking ones IMO.

GOW chars
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=621218

Nova from SC2 and ghost
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=741697

WH40K model pack
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=702349

General William Molenar
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=726629

Spartan model pack
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=608489

Xeno
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=627101

WH40k Sister of Battle
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612673

Damarus
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=598143

Malcolm
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=665784

GenMoKai Faraleth
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=661052

WH40k Astartes/Chaos Models
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=611137

KaT-031283MAA
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613445

Samus Aran
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=608548

Rankin
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=683933

Evangelion
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=675926

Egyptian Warlord
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=624422

This thread has a big list of models.
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=666829

some of the 'unprofessional' custom stuff is amazing.

I like to think mine is rather amazing... but then I haven't publicly released any of it since the 3dbuzz contest I believe so it's just my little secret. :D

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Lack of a decent multi-player platform. Still waiting for the BNET/HoN type platform for a FPS.
UT2004 actually came very close to this if you compare the GUI with that of HoN.

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Don't forget the Gearsofwar Syndrome it has.

Actually GOW has the UT syndrome, c'mon dodge, flip, roll, cover, that's all part of UT's physics .. They just pilfered the dodge & carefully incorporated what was already there into the GOW series.

LordFarqWad

Dec 16, 2009
Get over it and go frag it up and have some fun. A big part of the problem is ppl want to discuss why the game sucks. Patches were released and now it it time to frag before UT4 comes out and everyone has something new to complain about.

And MARK my words there will be a UT4 and I will be there playin :p

[404]Cham3l3on

May 22, 2006

I highly doubt it, or at least for the PC, unfortunately. Look at how many people were stoked, heralding UT3 as a 'return to the roots' so to speak. To top it off, they originally claimed the game was being developed completely separately from the console versions....however it was evident through the gameplay that this just simply is not the truth. Conceptually, they made design decisions which ultimately became apparent on the PC. I wouldn't call it a virus (although as mainly a PC gamer I loathe what they did with the game) but rather something that makes sense from a developer aspect.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Hopefully Epic will take the avalanche of criticism it received for UT3 to heart and release a real, bona fide UT99-2 with an option to enable UT 2004 movement designed exclusively or at least primarily for the PC and made to feel like a polished PC game upon its release.

Sure, instead of making a brand new installation, just throw the previous two games together and call it a new game instead.

It annoys me to no bounds that some people hate UT3 because "It's not a UT99/UT2k4 hybrid."

EDIT: I also like how you created an entire essay just to stress your opinion on how much you think UT3 sucks.

Last edited: