The Sniper Rifle.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Ok, so I've made multiple comments on this, and not gotten any real responses, almost as though my suggestion is so ludicrous to people that they simply can't concieve them taking this route.

After hearing the removal of the minigun, and the LtG, two of the three most infamous weapons in the game, I'm seeing as how this would severely limit the amount of hitscan left. It has been said that some iteration of the Sniper Rifle will remain, but as far as I know, no information as to the speicifics of how it will compare to current have been revealed.

Bearing that information in mind, I'm thinkin' it would be highly possible that the next Sniper Rifle could very well not be hit-scan. It may be projectile (see halo). I'm not sure what I'm really out to ask here, whether it be "how would that make you feel", or "would you prefer that", or if you can actually be objective, and disregard how you feel "do you think epic might do that". So mostly I guess I'm just asking for thoughts in general.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I actually kinda hoped this thread would go somewhere bearing in mind the knowledge that the LtG is gone... I thought it was an awesome concept for a weapon too, but...

Discord

surveying the wreckage...
Nov 6, 2002
Somewhere on Route 666
-AEnubis- said:
"do you think epic might do that"

I dunno man, sometimes the truth about what Epic might do is way stranger than fiction.

Factors against:

It would be kinda pointless to have a non- hitscan sniper weapon in a game that also uses a dodge move (which by all indications will not be removed). Also, the maps got freakin' huge in UT2kX, and I expect they'll only get freakin' huger next time out... a sniper projectile that took 3 sec to traverse the map would be like teats on a boar hog.

Factors in favor:

Well, they said they want more "in your face" CQB- type stuff :lol:. Plus, if the sniper and shock are the only two hitscan weapons available (alt- link hardly counts in this case), a hitscan sniper could generate a serious case of "awp- whore syndrome." Edit: Hey, just occurred to me that the Enforcers are probably hitscan... no conefire perhaps? That would be awesome sauce...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a projectile sniper in the classic gamemodes (smaller maps) and a hitscan sniper in ONS and CON... maybe? Dunno. At any rate, I certainly hope they've got some plans to minimize the "dud" projectile problem, otherwise it could all get really crappy in a hurry. :/

Personally, I hated the Halo sniper and wouldn't touch the damn thing. :p

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
[Apoc]Discord said:
At any rate, I certainly hope they've got some plans to minimize the "dud" projectile problem, otherwise it could all get really crappy in a hurry. :/
Well it's basically an Unreal engine bug, since it's been in every single nreal engine game from Unreal to Tribes Vengance. So it's probably going to be in Envy. :c

What I hope they do is relize that the sniper rifle as a plain old ballistic weapon which is quite boring and out of place. Hopefully the Sniper will be a hybrid of the LtG and the SR and it will shoot a Tarydium slug like with an electric blue trail with no daughter sparks that hurt the opponent like the LtG does now.

I don't know if it should be hitscan, but whatever it is, it's got to be nice. :)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Ballistic = Hitscan

-AEnubis- said:
I'm seeing as how this would severely limit the amount of hitscan left.

That's the idea. In UT200x, the balance between hitscan and ballistic weapons has shifted massivly in favour of hitscan. Anything that redresses the balance is good in my book. As for a ballstic SR? I wouldn't mind. It'd be better than the point and click gaming we have now.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Selerox said:
That's the idea. In UT200x, the balance between hitscan and ballistic weapons has shifted massivly in favour of hitscan. Anything that redresses the balance is good in my book. As for a ballstic SR? I wouldn't mind. It'd be better than the point and click gaming we have now.

:tup:

I'm hoping that is the case, and as well, it will make it "uniqe" enough sitting next to the ASMD that they could change aspects of the ASMD prime fire without people yelling "It's too much like the sniper".

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
0.9sec ROF? Your ****ing kidding, right?

The_Head said:
I would prefer it if they brought back the UT99 sniper.

Never, ever going to happen. That weapon was so unbalanced it wasn't even funny. As for the ASMD, having a firing mechanism like the UT99 one would be far better, but keep the combo UT200x style.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
When you used it bah. I didn't use it because I liked keeping the game a challenge. That and if I was in a ping position to make good use of it, I was whoreing it, because pings were never even in that game. No better way to piss everyone off, and scare them away then to have a 30ms ping advantage on everyone, and whore hitscan. Not to mention, they didn't gib, so that sux. At least with LtG I had that on overkill damage.

I think a projectile SR, and a slowed prime fire on the ASMD, accompanied with Stinger instead of Mini is going to be way sweet. I'm also really keen on the idea of the possbility (no matter how improbable) of being able to hear a sniper bullet rap off, and duck so the headshot misses. How pimp will that look in videos.

Kronon

Oldtimer
Apr 26, 2005
Even the slowest bullet moves faster than the sound, so ducking when you hear the bang is usually pretty futile :)

Making hitscan weapons nonhitscan also puts more load on the server. On the other hand, if you have visible tracers of the bullet, its only natural that the bullet isnt hitscan.

/Kronon

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Kronon said:
Even the slowest bullet moves faster than the sound, so ducking when you hear the bang is usually pretty futile :)

In real life. Unless they intentionall emulate that, sound is instantaneous if you are in range of it. This is Unreal Life :D

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
If there was to be the sniper rifle then may it please for the love of god actually look cool.

And be a tracer round, and have far less switch time than the current one, an have serious karma when killed & not being a headshot to spin the corpse..

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
All I can say is, when I played dm online and ran into a sniper rifle/shock/minigun I used it one EVERBODY in sight.

Didn't matter if it was an LPB, or someone with a high ping.
They're targets. I got a weapon available. If I don't pick it up, someone else will and might frag me with it.

(you get the idea)

Challenge, challenge. To me it was a fragathon.
And still is. Except nowadays, I kill tons of monsters.

(which is tbh more fun :hmm:... as silly as it may sound)

Last edited:

Mabz

Mar 31, 2005
Everybody wanted the sniper back into Unreal and it came into UT2k4. Now half of us don't want a sniper. Honestly, I think Epic upon realising that the sniper gun would not fit well into the 'futuristic' weapon feel left it out of UT2k3 and replaced it with the LTG. The LTG has a cool look and a head shot with it has never been sweeter [crispy head]. I don't mind seeing the sniper go but please leave the LTG in the game. It makes me wonder whether if the enforcers return to UT:Envy, will they feel out of place?

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Kronon said:
On the other hand, if you have visible tracers of the bullet, its only natural that the bullet isnt hitscan.

The LtG, Shock Primary, and Minigun especially all have what could be considered "tracers"

Rankz people wanted the UT sniper back, not the P.O.S. weapon Epic tried to pass off on us in 2k4.

JohnDoe641 said:
Hopefully the Sniper will be a hybrid of the LtG and the SR and it will shoot a Tarydium slug like with an electric blue trail

I'm with JD on this one. If it's implemented PROPERLY in the game. (Mind you my idea/opinion of "properly" is most likely different from some of you) The biggest gripe with the old sniper was the fact you couldn't tell where the heck the shots were coming from and was too 'camper-friendly, which they fixed with the LtG's "zot". If they fixed the damage/ROF ratio of "today's" sniper, got rid of that stupid smoke effect, and had some sort of tracer on it, I'm all for it.