The Official UT2k7 Minelayer Thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
The only problem with that is that it will be a teamkiller's heaven.

Mine your own base; then leave. I can picture the idiot already.

But I agree; mostly it is a mapping; rather than a weapon issue.

JarJarBinks1234

Nov 8, 2004
I think they should look at blizzard for some inspiration on mines...

in starcraft, a unit has the ability to lay mines. however, when there laid, they are indeed burrowed into the ground... and they dont move untill someone gets too close... and if someone moves too far away, they just re-burrow themselves...

i think something along those lines would be good...

if not, then just add good old proximity (sp?) mines like the good ol' days of golden eye 007... (stick em to the wall, if someone gets too close... POW)

i admit the spider mines as of right now kinda suck... but i play more ctf than ons... and the only time i see mines is in vctf...

tho some people do just abuse it... they'll sit behind a hill and toss em over just to try and rack up frags... i think that's something that they should get away from... u should have to arm them yourself or somethin.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
KillStreak said:
I like the mines as they are i just dont like the abuse, like people putting them in your spawn areas and people putting them right ontop of teh flag in vCTF. So my suggestion is they should only be mobile in certain places like the areas surrounding your nodes and base. they could still blow up if a player was to step on one but they wouldnt be able to run at a player if they werent placed in an area mentioned above.

Just implement a Spawn-EMP that disables the mines for a few seconds in the area you just spawned. Problem solved.:)

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
fuegerstef said:
Just implement a Spawn-EMP that disables the mines for a few seconds in the area you just spawned. Problem solved.:)

Not a bad idea. Simple yet unique, I like it. :D :tup:

Kiel'thalin

Oct 18, 2005
Great to see other people making notes of the minelayer issue.

The minelayer imo is used as an anti-tank/anti-vehicle weapon; hence standard game type use is Onslaught, against vehicles. The mines should only be able to move towards enemy vehicles. For players on foot the mine should completely ignore them (no crazy ai chases) and not blow up unless there is a vehicle present and the player is caught from splash damage from the mine attacking the vehicle. It doesn't make any sense to me having a weapon designed to take down a tank and take down players on foot. One or the other please.

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
You sir are absolutely right! I think theyre should be 2 sets of mine layers. Spider mines for vehicles and proxy mines for players on foot. the proxy mines would be just as lethal as the spider mines but they wouldnt run at the player and vechiles can activate both mines where as players can only activate the proxy mines.

stas

Oct 18, 2005
Mines need to be changed like jarjar said just stealh mines that will burrow when a vehicule or sum1 passes over *BOOM HEAD SHOT* he got r0xed by 1338 ub3r p0wn43 m1n3 sk0klkxz

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Spider mines are pretty useless against vehichles - apart from the hellbender.

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
Id have to agree with you unless the person piloting the vehicle was a noob.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
mines are fine... you can shoot them, you can frag the player who owns them or you can run away (up) from them... if i can dodge them, anyone can. besides theyre one of the most fun weapons to frag with on ppl who dont want to take the time to get out of the way :)