The Next Unreal Tournament will be Great

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Comparing UT with the rules of a sport is pretty stupid.

What they've done with the gameplay in the Unreal series is no different than the smattering of rule changes that take place every single year in every sport known to man that is played professionally. Find a new analogy that works, please.

The consistency can be found in the characters and weapons. I don't see why anything else HAS to stay the same.

As a side example, Unreal 2 was a perfectly fine Unreal universe game, it just wasn't Unreal 2. That doesn't mean it's not an Unreal series game, though.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I don't need inside information, I just need critical thinking skills.

In that case, what do you think are the "other reasonable explanations for this happening that don't involve Epic hating the PC as a platform?"

The only one I can think of is that Midway put a gun up to Epic's head and said, "Release the game...NOW!" months before Epic really wanted to release it.

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
MidWay, Sony and Microsoft managed to skrew EPIC big time in their each unique way.

Until I see Ful proper Mod Support for the consoles. Custom Sounds and the ability to use configs for example on the PS3. Not even gonna mention XBOX360.

Oh yeah and something like zboard type keyboards/ proper mouse support. Better new release and pheripheral device Pricing...
I might actually think about putting up with their Sub Par performance.

BTW EPIC has forsaken PS3 users so It should read "console" not consoles.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Epic is Microsoft's little puppet. However, Epic did not agree to sell their company for one billion dollars.

In the nearest future Epic will be earning big time on the console from Microsoft.

There is nothing wrong with going where the money is, we are living in a global capitalism.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Epic can go where the money is if they want to, as long as they don't give us this bull**** about how special Unreal is to all of them. It is clear that most of them don't even understand the series.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Some of the leading people on the Epic team surely think that Unreal is important to them. The difference is that Microsoft is demanding and pay them a lot to make Gears great. Unreal on the other hand, they just do enough to be done with it and they are. That's not fair either, but kind of. I mean UT3 is great, but Gears is almost perfect.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Comparing UT with the rules of a sport is pretty stupid.

What they've done with the gameplay in the Unreal series is no different than the smattering of rule changes that take place every single year in every sport known to man that is played professionally. Find a new analogy that works, please.

The consistency can be found in the characters and weapons. I don't see why anything else HAS to stay the same.

As a side example, Unreal 2 was a perfectly fine Unreal universe game, it just wasn't Unreal 2. That doesn't mean it's not an Unreal series game, though.

Soccer fans remains Soccer fans because their game is still Soccer at the end of the year and not Basketball.

Theres a diffrence between slightly tweaking the rules and in Epics case rewriting them for a diffrent game.

Wont get loyal customers if you keep changing the formula for the game, since there aint much to be loyal about anymore. Do you honestly belive that the inconsistency has helped the Unreal franchise in any way?

Change the title and the name of the Skaarj to Lizroos and you couldnt tell you played a Unreal game. Unreal2 is just a generic FPS shooter and about the only thing that ties the game to the franchise is its name.

Not really a deep connection going there...

Some of the leading people on the Epic team surely think that Unreal is important to them. The difference is that Microsoft is demanding and pay them a lot to make Gears great. Unreal on the other hand, they just do enough to be done with it and they are. That's not fair either, but kind of. I mean UT3 is great, but Gears is almost perfect.

If Epic thought that they wouldnt have let the franchise stray away as far as it has done...

Last edited: