The most frustrating ONS map and why

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperGoop

Mar 26, 2004
Crossfire - when you are down to defending your last node, you always respawn at your base. More often than not, there are no vehicle and you end up walking. I hate walking due to poor map design. :mad:

Torlan - at the beginning of the game, you spawn at your base with only 3 vehicles!!! (I could be wrong, but I think there is only the Manta, Hellbender and Raptor). Half your team ends up walking. I wish more people will realize the importance of carrying passengers, especially on a map like Torlan.

One time, I got really lucky and was able to carry 2 passengers on a Manta, so all 3 of us went to node 1 quickly. We won the match in less than 5 mins, I think largely because of that.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Probably Crossfire, tho RedPlanet bugs me too for different reasons.

There's no reason a map like Torlan or Crossfire should have as many vehicles at base as Primeval, which is a tiny map.

Probably Artic Stronghold. As much as I love that map its close to impossible to win once the enemy gains control of the 3 middle nodes. Its just extremely hard to take over 3 nodes that are all linked to the node next to your base.

Raistlyn

Apr 16, 2004
Arctic definately. Of the 72 hours I have on the T5K server, I have played this map many many times, I have seen blue team win 3 times (I was on it each time) Not only is it almost impossible to counterattack against all 3 nodes on that fairly small map (Redplaney is only possible to counter because its alot bigger) but they arent even. All 3 of the nodes are drastically closer to Red base. I think of all the times Ive played it, Ive seen a successful counterattack/win once.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's hard to say since they can all be frustrating when your team isn't playing like a team, or the other team is stacked with good players.

I have to say that I've never been frustrated by Torlan. Good point about the vehicles though, but the first node is close and has more vehicles and a turret, and there are plenty of AVRiL's.

Crossfire, on the other hand, is very frustrating. Two vehicles in the base turn into a slaughter at the first node if the other team is even half way trying.

Arctic Stronghold is very hard to come back from, but I guess there are too many vehicles for me to notice.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
In all honesty if All the nodes have gone then there isn't enough time to sit around waiting for people to give a ride too! You have to make sure the node never gets completed! If it gets completed just once then you suddenly have to destroy it completely tos top them from hitting your core!

But then at that point of the match it's all rather dangerous anyway!

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
Red planet is the most asstacular map for me right now, I have allot of gripes with it.

But yeah crossfire can be a bitch to.

I_Like_Fire

Smokin Bad Ass
May 4, 2004
I don't really dislike any maps other then fort2 most maps like artic have a strat to come back BUT you have to have a team that plays like a team.

Raistlyn

Apr 16, 2004
Thats why the T5K server i so good. I guarantee that most of your team knows how to play very well, and so does the other team. The longest game we ever had was a 95 minute game on Dawn to 3 points.

X-0

May 6, 2001
Visit site
I play a lot on t5k as well, but lately it's been strange. RedPlanet has never lasted more than 4 minutes or so with that ring-node link setup (win or lose, it's always quick). It would be frustrating if I liked the map, but now I'm just glad they get through it quick and move on :p

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
Just to throw mine in with the lot, I have never liked Arctic Stronghold. IT is fun, but I just can't seem to get into it.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I find Arctic Stronghold to be one of my favorite maps to play. It's real fun, but when you've got a team that's not very coordinated it's hard to take control of the nodes. That's when it becomes frustrating.

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
All the big ones... Pretty much all but frostbite, prime and torlan. The rest just suck, they are too big for most servers (64 players would make them better) and the poor linkdesigns really highlight the problem with one team getting all the nodes and winning, which is easier with low playercounts.

I agree witht eh mines on prime though... They must have had a total dumbass deciding the weapon lockers in alot of maps, especiallly assualt where more often than not the defenders have rocketlaunchers and attackers dont, making it to easy to hold them off for ten minutes....

Raistlyn

Apr 16, 2004
I never have a problem with mines on any map. Primeval seems more balanced with them. Otherwise a good goliath pilot could hold the node singlehandely. (Which I have done and seen done many times) mines make it alot easier to kill that Goliath since its the only one on the map. Other than that Im a Manta pilot, so mines dont tend to touch me. I guess that part of why I dont have too much of a problem with them. Its only when u DM people who spam mines cause they got no DM skills (like me :))