The irony of it all...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
I always said if you are going to make a law, be prepared to be ass raped by it.

Dog Attacks Anti-Dangerous Dog Bill Author

1 hour, 37 minutes ago

The author of a new state law that allows felony charges against owners of dangerous dogs was hospitalized over the weekend after his own dog attacked him.

Bob Schwartz, who also is Gov. Bill Richardson's crime adviser, was hospitalized at University of New Mexico Hospital on Sunday night with bites on both his arms, said Pahl Shipley, a spokesman for the governor.

A hospital spokeswoman declined to release Schwartz's condition, but Shipley said Schwartz is "going to be fine."

Schwartz has three dogs registered with the city: a boxer and two English bulldogs, said Denise Wilcox, who oversees Albuquerque's animal care centers.

Schwartz was instrumental in getting a law passed during this year's regular legislative session that would allow felony charges to be filed against owners of dogs deemed dangerous or potentially dangerous and that seriously injure or kill another animal or person.

The law was designed to make dog owners accountable, said Sen. Sue Wilson Beffort, who worked with Schwartz to pass the bill.

"But I guess when it happens in your own family, that's another story," she said. "That's tragic."

Wilcox said Sunday her office had not received a bite report from University hospital, which is required when a dog bite leads to medical attention.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051019/ap_on_fe_st/adviser_dog_bite;_ylt=Av4K_G8WNmd3a4l4mgX.Urus0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b2NibDltBHNlYwM3MTY-

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
(SDS)benmcl said:
Well I do agree with that kind of law. Up here in crazy Ontario we are banning breds.

A felony! Jeez...

When I lived in Miami, dogs always got out of yards. Miami had to enact at first a license only pitbull program, then fully banned them after kids kept getting injured or killed by them. One Jehovahs Witness lady who was 80 years old entered a yard to preach and a pitbull ripped her arm off. She survived. In Broward county (one county up from Miami-Dade), pitbulls are still legal with a license.

I still think its a bit severe of a law though.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
NTKB it could very well be that I don't understand the law then.

If it is a felony to own such a dog without a license then yeah I agree with you.

If such a dog, even licensed attacks and seriously harms a person that I feel it is the same level as someone trying to kill another. The thing is in many of these cases a dog has a history of violent behaviour, not all certainly, but many. That is the problem here in Ontario. After somene is seriously injuried it comes out that many warnings about that animal was report but nothing could be done.

By being serious about such things you are telling people that they are responsible for that animals actions. You want that dog, fine, but if it hurts someone you will pay for that.

In Ontario our government just said all pitbulls are bad and are not allowed. I disagree with that approach completly.

I also believe though some common sense should be applied. If I get nipped then the owner should not be charged a felony. If I loose my arm or something then the owner should be nailed to the wall. His animal, his responsibility.

Note I believed I used the term animal through most of this post. I don't believe this law shoudl only apply to dogs but such animals as large cats which have killed a few people in thses damn sanctuaries.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Jeez, what's next they'll level assault charges against anyone who's dog threatens another person? Are they going to treat it like a firearm?
Wait with some of these owners that might not be such a bad idea.

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
NTKB said:
...One Jehovahs Witness lady who was 80 years old entered a yard to preach and a pitbull ripped her arm off.

Holy shit! That's awesome! It's about time one of those fuckers got what was comin' to 'em...

NTKB said:
She survived.

Boo.

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
NTKB said:
I always said if you are going to make a law, be prepared to be ass raped by it.

Where's the irony in that? A guy getting bit by his own dog is not irony, it's just sad, even if he's made a law on dangerous dogs. It would be ironic if he had bragged about how this law would make dangerous dogs disappear. :rolleyes:

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
I personally was relieved when pitbulls were banned in Miami. I was tired of trying to go jogging and bumping into stray dogs that would chase me until I kicked their noses in. I always feared one day it would be a pitbull and when I went to kick it it would rip my leg off. And its not only big dogs that can be vicious. Look what happened to fluffy when good dogs go bad! :eek:

Attachments

• dogs.jpg
    dogs.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 24