the great outdoors

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
Hi!
This is my first map (appart from the crappy Deathmatch levels in tutorials :D ) and i want to make the centre an outdoor theme...or Jungle.
The main part of the plan is cover the side with mountains, 3 sides with cave entrances, a stright forward one (but would be better to add charactor) and add a cliff side walk. Alot of totorials i`ve found shows UT2003 and unreal 1 but not Unreal tournament :hmm: The terrain tab is confusing, i know how to pull the parts to some shape but its not what i expected. Long lines stretch from each corner but the tops are easy to 'shape', thats not what i want...no one`s getting up there :)
Any help or advice?

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
Use bsp blocks and just make a path up along....although you might get some nasty BSP leaks if you combine BSP terrain with other bsp brushes...

Try making the bsp path semi solid if you get a HOM

CoolDude

Feb 22, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I haven't done this myself, but if I have to, I probably do something like this:

Make your terrain with the standard Terrain Builder and Vertex Editing or with one of the external tools like TerraEd / TerrainEd / TerrainEdNew.

From that, use some subtracted brushes to make your paths.
(hmmm ... this is what JonAzz ment also, only written differently).

If it looks the way you want it, you can try Intersecting/Deintersecting (this SHOULD be working):
MAKE SURE YOU SAVE BEFORE TRYING THIS!!!!
1) Change all your Subtracted path brushes to Added
2) Make sure all textures of these now added pathbrushes have the same texture alignment (e.g. align to wall). I had problems with this before.
3) Select the terrain brush and "Copy to Polygons" (this will give your Red Builder Brush the shape of your terrain brush).
4) Press 'DEL', this will delete the original terrain brush (you've got a copy of it in your RBB)
5) Try Intersect or Deintersect (I never know which one) and see if the paths are subtracted from your Red Builder Brush.
6) If so, Add the new terrain brush
7) Delete all earlier path brushes

TerainEditNew with me gives an error on "Options -> Terrain Generation -> New Random Terrain", but you can accomplish the same with using "Options -> Terain Generation -> Change Terrain Parameters".

Really experienced mappers probably use 3D StudioMax or Maya for this, but it will take you and me about 12 months before getting the hang of this.
:cool:

Last edited: