the Future of Cloud Computing; questions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
how do I know that the work I'm doing on the cloud is protected?
what's to stop somebody from dropping in and spying on my session and/or logging keystrokes?

just curious.

also, does cloud computing (as an industry) threaten traditional PC manufacturers?
such as HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.
will there come a time when clouds are so big and accessible that the average consumer stops buying pre-built desktop computers?

Polychron

Poliwrath
Sep 13, 2003
In a bubble
33k95wy.jpg

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
how do I know that the work I'm doing on the cloud is protected?
what's to stop somebody from dropping in and spying on my session and/or logging keystrokes?

just curious.

also, does cloud computing (as an industry) threaten traditional PC manufacturers?
such as HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.
will there come a time when clouds are so big and accessible that the average consumer stops buying pre-built desktop computers?

We invented something called "encryption" a while ago, you may have heard of it.

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
www.thecloud.net said:
Can my computer be hacked into or get a virus from using a wireless network?
While you're connected to The Cloud your computer is connected to a public network and may be vulnerable. We recommend you protect yourself, by installing security products such as a virus checker, firewall and VPN client.

Personal data security
• The Cloud suggests you install and update well known anti-virus software and personal firewalls to protect your appliances
• Ensure you turn off automatic log-in facilities
• Use a secure VPN to connect to the Internet
• Ensure your computer is password protected
• Don’t leave your laptop unattended in a public place, or lock it if necessary
• Be careful not to leave credit card details exposed, or on screen
• Only enter any personal banking details once you know the site is secure (look for the padlock icon on your browser, click on it to confirm it is secure.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Do you keep all your money.
In a safe, at your house?

Do you burn all your trash?
So no one can see what you bought, or made?

If you can say yes to both questions.
Then the cloud is not for you.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
what?

there's an entire section of that article devoted specifically to describing the various attack methods that have been formulated in response to RSA key signing. some of them are or were hypothetical, others were actually carried out and successful in breaching and logging private data sessions. some of these vulnerabilities have been patched or fixed, but that's a cat and mouse game.

Google's cloud had to pull out of China last year when they were hacked shortly after launch.

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
Chuck Norris doesn’t need the cloud to scale his applications, he uses his laptop....

I also heard that he can type 140 wpm with his beard and that his keyboard doesn’t have a Ctrl key because nothing controls Chuck Norris!! :D

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
Hey I cant help being behind with everything...sometimes its more fun being behind than in front! ;)

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
what?

there's an entire section of that article devoted specifically to describing the various attack methods that have been formulated in response to RSA key signing. some of them are or were hypothetical, others were actually carried out and successful in breaching and logging private data sessions. some of these vulnerabilities have been patched or fixed, but that's a cat and mouse game.

Google's cloud had to pull out of China last year when they were hacked shortly after launch.

Jacks, the majority of the holes in the system are found and patched by those who maintain it. The system is so secure that a number of countries and nearly all banks use it for online security, like when you're doing online bank stuff, taxes yatta yatta.

RSA is widely used in electronic commerce protocols, and is believed to be sufficiently secure given sufficiently long keys and the use of up-to-date implementations.

What this means, is that as long as your security department doesn't sleep on the job, it's basically the most secure thing you can have. If the cloud will be as huge as they claim, they will probably utilize RSA for authorization and then some 256 bit encryption for data streams, which is ridiculously secure.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Cloud computing has been around for a while. Faster internet connections are making it more realistic to utilize more sought after features. Its just a marketing term for networked computers. Albeit a network that you don't have to set up and it works extremely well. Yes, it is the future but it wont be replacing our desktops or gaming consoles anytime soon.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
so help me understand; admittedly I am severely uneducated on this topic. that's why I posed the question to begin with.

the "attacks" outlined by the article are just internal challenges?
it's their own people looking for holes in order to fill them?

what about all the smaller incidents you hear about when online cashiers (ala Amazon) and banks are hacked for login details? Chase and Capital One (really big banks) recently had their customer's email accounts hacked and their login server was down for days.

were these companies not using the RSA system in question?
Its just a marketing term for networked computers. Albeit a network that you don't have to set up and it works extremely well. Yes, it is the future but it wont be replacing our desktops or gaming consoles anytime soon.
well I'm not too worried about gaming consoles.
I was mostly concerned with whether or not massive clouds would replace the personal computer.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
so help me understand; admittedly I am severely uneducated on this topic. that's why I posed the question to begin with.

the "attacks" outlined by the article are just internal challenges?
it's their own people looking for holes in order to fill them?

Most companies that require insane security have departments dedicated to breaking through security, simply so they can improve. Same goes for those who develop and maintain widely used encryption methods, such as RSA. For that reason, they also pay money to people who find holes.

Some of the attacks in the article could very likely have been malicious, however, if you consider that the method has existed for so long, it is incredible that there's only such a short section about actual insecurities.

what about all the smaller incidents you hear about when online cashiers (ala Amazon) and banks are hacked for login details? Chase and Capital One (really big banks) recently had their customer's email accounts hacked and their login server was down for days.

were these companies not using the RSA system in question?
While that is a huge security concern, it's not a hole in the RSA system, but rather whatever security system they've chosen to employ in that particular bank. Firewalls, to be more specific.

If you would like to educate yourself a little, you should listen to some podcasts from Security Now.

http://media.grc.com/sn/sn-034.mp3

This podcast specifically addresses RSA encryption. It's very interesting, even if techno babble isn't your thing.

Here's the website with all of the podcasts on it.

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

edit: There are also full transcripts you can read while they talk. Sounds a little excessive but it helps a lot if you seriously want to understand it, rather than just getting a superficial understanding.

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-034.htm for the RSA episode.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
One thing to keep in mind is that high levels of encryption are a very expensive (in terms of cpu cycles) process. Of course there is completely unbreakable encryption out there, but most people don't use it because it takes hours to encrypt even the smallest things.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
One thing to keep in mind is that high levels of encryption are a very expensive (in terms of cpu cycles) process. Of course there is completely unbreakable encryption out there, but most people don't use it because it takes hours to encrypt even the smallest things.

Indeed. Still, a 128 bit stream cypher is incredibly secure and is used on nearly all wireless connections. The RSA method is simply used to set up a secure stream.