The funny pictures thread (new and improved)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
attachment.php

Attachments

• 27202308.jpg
    27202308.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
hehe.
One of the things I like about America is the scale they do stuff on.

Yeah, back then it was glamorous land-yachts covered in glittering chrome with space-age features humans hadn't even dreamed of a decade previous. Every country with industry was trying to copy our car designs as quickly as they could, but they were never able to keep up with our designers.

Did you know that in the 1950's more American cars came with A/C standard than the number of buildings that had A/C in the UK?

Now it's all Escalades, Hummer 2s, Excursions. Soccer mom mobiles. Mall crawlers. Even Jeep, a company that made the toughest civilian vehicles on the market for half a century (God rest their tattered soul) has gone the way of the dodo.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Yeah, back then it was glamorous land-yachts covered in glittering chrome with space-age features humans hadn't even dreamed of a decade previous. Every country with industry was trying to copy our car designs as quickly as they could, but they were never able to keep up with our designers.

Did you know that in the 1950's more American cars came with A/C standard than the number of buildings that had A/C in the UK?

Now it's all Escalades, Hummer 2s, Excursions. Soccer mom mobiles. Mall crawlers. Even Jeep, a company that made the toughest civilian vehicles on the market for half a century (God rest their tattered soul) has gone the way of the dodo.

The impression I have always had is that the climate there is less prone to severe heat so I don't find that at all surprising, but that impression may be wrong.

I still want a Jeep, though it will probably be a 'pre computers in cars' model when I do get one.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2574235 said:
The impression I have always had is that the climate there is less prone to severe heat so I don't find that at all surprising, but that impression may be wrong.

You could be right.

I still want a Jeep, though it will probably be a 'pre computers in cars' model when I do get one.

If you do want a short wheelbase Jeep, I'd go with a Wrangler over any of the CJ models. Wranglers are safer and less roll-prone, and while they are more modern than CJs, they are actually tougher and easier to maintain. CJs can be huge money sinks; the AMC V8s were based on older inefficient designs and they require constant maintenance. The AMC 6-cyl and 4-cyl engines used in Wranglers can run forever without even the most basic maintenance.

The best year Wranglers to have are the later YJs (ran from 1986-1995 and have square headlights) and the early TJs (ran from 1997-2008? and have round headlights.) They didn't produce any Wranglers in 1996 because they were too busy doing the TJ redesign. All 1996 models are re-badged 95 models with some small emissions changes.

I have a 95 YJ and love it. If you want a YJ you're going to want a later one because they are more powerful and more reliable than the previous models. They rolled out fuel injection in 1992 I think; previous models were carb'd. 1986 in particular was a very bad year, Wranglers had Peugeot manual transmissions that were really terrible. Luckily, AMC went to Aisin Warner transmissions in 1987. Another good reason is that the entire body and frame were galvanized starting in 1993, whereas older models were not. Galvanization helps prevent rust, and Jeeps are suckers for rust.

If you want a TJ, you're going to want to go with an earlier year. Chrysler went to a new V6 drivetrain sometime in the middle of the 2000's. It's much more computerized and has a notoriously bad reputation for being unreliable. I would also avoid any of the newest Wranglers, i.e. the four-door and long-wheelbase two-door models. They are mostly plastic and they all have that unreliable V6.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Summers here aren't all that great...

That's the reason. Summers in the UK are rarely even close to as hot as in most places in the US. Temperatures over 30C are still fairly unusual, with at most a handful of days a year getting to that temperature; and that's in the South of England where the temperature is usually higher (the average temperature in London in July is 23C). In the north of UK, the temperature rarely gets that high at all (Glasgow's average temperature in July is only 17C).

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I kind of look at this picture in a different way now that he quit Epic. Like this pic gained a different meaning.

Yeah I would caption it differently now for certain.

You could be right.

If you do want a short wheelbase Jeep, I'd go with a Wrangler over any of the CJ models. Wranglers are safer and less roll-prone, and while they are more modern than CJs, they are actually tougher and easier to maintain. CJs can be huge money sinks; the AMC V8s were based on older inefficient designs and they require constant maintenance. The AMC 6-cyl and 4-cyl engines used in Wranglers can run forever without even the most basic maintenance.

The best year Wranglers to have are the later YJs (ran from 1986-1995 and have square headlights) and the early TJs (ran from 1997-2008? and have round headlights.) They didn't produce any Wranglers in 1996 because they were too busy doing the TJ redesign. All 1996 models are re-badged 95 models with some small emissions changes.

I have a 95 YJ and love it. If you want a YJ you're going to want a later one because they are more powerful and more reliable than the previous models. They rolled out fuel injection in 1992 I think; previous models were carb'd. 1986 in particular was a very bad year, Wranglers had Peugeot manual transmissions that were really terrible. Luckily, AMC went to Aisin Warner transmissions in 1987. Another good reason is that the entire body and frame were galvanized starting in 1993, whereas older models were not. Galvanization helps prevent rust, and Jeeps are suckers for rust.

If you want a TJ, you're going to want to go with an earlier year. Chrysler went to a new V6 drivetrain sometime in the middle of the 2000's. It's much more computerized and has a notoriously bad reputation for being unreliable. I would also avoid any of the newest Wranglers, i.e. the four-door and long-wheelbase two-door models. They are mostly plastic and they all have that unreliable V6.

Thanx for all the info, that will come in very handy.

@ Selerox
No wonder many with the means 'summer' elsewhere.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that bathroom is on the lowest floor 'cause when the hulk shows that turd who's boss china's getting a new mountain.
2nu14pi.jpg

Last edited: