The creation of a new Video Game Studio

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
I do have some experience in coaching and team management as well as my partner does.
Hmm, on your resume it says you're 22. I'm 25 myself, and I could say that I've only just really started learning about team management. What would you do in this situation:

Your artists and mappers are having a cold war. Recently one of your artists has submitted a 8192 x 8192 image of an arrow head. One of the mappers openly mocked him and the rest of the mappers are laughing at the lack of knowledge by this artist.

What do you do?

Find out where the hell he made such a large image and why.

But then again, before any work starts, you should have gone over some ground rules. What types of resolutions and details you are allowed and can use. This would first prevent that situation from even happening.

However, since it has happend, you should/would just say "That's exactly what we need, but on a lower res version. The engine simply can not handle that large of an image and should be more suitable twoards 800x800 resolution". As far as the mappers go, I'd just let them know that they need the artist and everyone starts out somewhere.

If they can't handle any of that, they don't belong.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
But then again, before any work starts, you should have gone over some ground rules. What types of resolutions and details you are allowed and can use. This would first prevent that situation from even happening.
Establishing process and policy first helps avoid such issues as the one mentioned above.
If you are developing your own technology you usually have no idea the restrictions. At best, you know hardware restrictions, and that's all. For example, that texture would be just fine if you were to deploy clip texturing / mega texture or be using iD's latest engine. Thus sometimes simply just laying down the typical rules and regulations will stifle creativity. And like all data, up scaling is always bad, where as down scaling is usually not so bad.

If they can't handle any of that, they don't belong.
Yes, and what happens if you get a mass exodus with all of your mappers leaving? Not only have you lost your entire work force, but you've lost all of the work they've made, if it was unfinished, and prepare to lose the next few months looking for mappers. Plus, word gets out very quickly in this industry, and your company starts having a really bad name ... which no one will want to work for, then welcome to ****ed company.

So I wouldn't say either of those two bits will actually help much.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I would first calm down the guys laughing. It's a funny situation, but only something you can learn of as an artist. First of all, I would also ask his Lead if he was informed of the work in progress of the artist when he was making the texture.

Second of all, could you please just resize the texture? Don't fear to ask questions or take the time to communicate with your partners.

------------------------

[SAS]Solid Snake;2170148 said:
Hmm, on your resume it says you're 22. I'm 25 myself, and I could say that I've only just really started learning about team management. What would you do in this situation:

What do you do?

Well, I'm older than I could seem.
I don't assume I'm like a 50 years old army veteran that can lead 50 000 guys, but I assume that I've enough experience and feel comfortable at managing a team and a project with 30 to 150 employees.

I do learn fast and do have more to my belt than just one speciality. I have more than enough creativity and skills to be Creative Director, enough culture/ logic/ writing skills & knowledge to Game Design & I'm talented & experienced enough to do Level Design, 3D Modeling, 3D animations, Scriptwriting [film], storyboarding, game character design, concept arts [my sig], etc.

In my opinion or perspective, I do not see Bioshock, CoD4, Gears of War or any other games as being "hard to do better".

I do not master 3D modeling and 3D animation perfectly at all, mostly because I spend more time in the other areas, but if my team left me... trust me I'll always make sure that I'm proficient enough to finish the job myself. I've also developed many Level Design methods in the past to work faster if it was necessary. It requires mroe time to Design, but it lets you save months of development.

The only thing I can't do is programing, maybe I'll learn that one day or another...

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
[SAS]Solid Snake;2170230 said:
What exactly have you managed before?
I've been coaching Taekwon-Do students & co-teaching them for combat and tournaments [we were one of the best Canadian Tkd Club], I've managed multiple Multimedia projects during one year and a half and multiple projects related to video games [game designs, High Level Concepts, a three months final project, etc] and I was also involved in a few amateur film projects in the past.

Basically, I mostly managed students of all sort.

Nothing truly "professional" as you would say, but to me there is no difference. I consider both as requiring the same amount of efforts, management & planning. I'm always open-mind to learn more and my previous experiences teached me that kids can teach me a lot of things, so my Ego is far behind... 22 years old isn't a reference. Take a look at Hourences, he is 24, he is both highly experienced and talented, plus he teached us many things through books, works and tutorials.

Note:
Well, yesterday I received a message from Sony, Santa Monica, for a job opportunity. Maybe a few of you also did, I'll see if I head for that opportunity instead of creating my own studio.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
Hey that's a very cool article, I'm actually reading it.
Thx for the link elmuerte
You might as well read Masters of Doom while you're at it. Apparently, Carmack was an anti-social ass who made and sold good games, while Romero was a cool guy but lacked any management skills.

Oh yeah, you might also want to consider small, indie projects on XBLA or the sort. 3D shooters are immensely complex projects. Getting off the ground with a small (but high quality!) side-scroller might be very important experience. For what it's worth, aevirex is saying what a lot of us probably want to say. Your resume isn't nearly beefy enough for anything more than a starter job.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
And you are totally free to comment lol.
But you must keep in mind that I didn't plan to make the 3D assets of the game, simply because my partner is taking care of that as well as textures. Detailed textures are way more effective nowadays than complex 3D assets. He and I are very productive and work well together. He mostly work like a 10 years of experience dev, I'm very happy to have him in the team and I couldn't find really better for several other reasons.

I think you've lost contact with reality. It's probably best if you accept the job offer from Sony and _really_ learn a bit, because this and previous statements imply to me that you know _very little_.
Define exactly what reality is and I'll definitely say you are right. I once learned that we can believe in a few specific starters, hopefully I learned it quick.

I guess you may also consider that I don't have kids and don't have any other life goals than doing that. It does a huge difference.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I think you've lost contact with reality. It's probably best if you accept the job offer from Sony and _really_ learn a bit, because this and previous statements imply to me that you know _very little_.
He's also lost contact with the community. If he can't handle the negative feedback for his map in the UT3 forums (There's about 15 pages worth of him arguing with us about our opinions) then his game will probably be **** since it's the customers opinion that matters, not his.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
It should be mentioned that on average people who have no prior industry experience (and/or only have training through a 'game design school') but who are ambitious have considered starting their own company from the get-go before. If you don't have the money to do that, that's a big problem, because you would certainly not have the credibility of being able to lead a studio at the age of 22, certainly not if you'll be dealing with almost only people who are at least more experienced (in work and life) and older than you.

Having that opportunity with Sony in Santa Monica is a great chance for you to get into the industry and gain some real 'frontline' experience of what it is like to work in the industry. Do that for a few years before you consider starting your own company and you'll have infinitely more perspective on the entire business, not to mention a more credible background.

On a side note, I looked at the Ubisoft Dream Team thingy and it looks like it's utterly preposterous. A marketing ploy to make people search for others who would be willing to relocate and then they pick and mix those who appear to be good at what they are. Or maybe that's just cynicism and they're really trying to willingly fly in people from all over the world to start a team there to work for Ubi.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
He's also lost contact with the community. If he can't handle the negative feedback for his map in the UT3 forums (There's about 15 pages worth of him arguing with us about our opinions) then his game will probably be **** since it's the customers opinion that matters, not his.
Wrong thread, I did argue that the map wasn't only designed for UT3 classic modes, but also to give the opportunity for many players to find a map that handles their various mutators. If you don't understand that and think, "ho it's quake style doh, what? it doesn't look and play like that , wtf??", than yes it's a very bad map. You may easy judge maps, but without considering the why it has been created... your judgement can't always be valuable.

As I mentionned, it was a test room... but a test room that made a Top 10 finalist?? wtf ...

Well, what I've gathered is that you visited a game design school. I don't know exactly what you learn there but from various friends in the game industry I've heard that they would take a mod guy over a game design school guy any time. Also I'm sure you know quite a bit about everything but I haven't seen something remarkably great from you (no discussion required here, it's just my opinion) which gave me the impression of "you knowing very little".
However what strikes me obviously most is that you think you could do something better than Bioshock, CoD4 or GoW. Dozens of people with likely everyone of them having multiple years in the game industry worked two, three or more years on these games. I know you don't want to say that you could do this alone but - and I don't want to insult you - these guys are better than you. Way better (I base this judgement on the stuff I've seen in these games and what you made).
Also, your starting big mentality implies to me that your leading skills are non existant.

I don't want to insult you and I hope I grew out of the age where I found flame wars cool, so again: this is the impression I have. It's not based on whether I like you or not.

As a result my suggestion is that you take such a job offer because franky I think you'll learn there in six months more than in any school and your plans become much more realistic than they are now (although doing another Bioshock, CoD4 or GoW is still unrealistic).

Oh and I totally agree with most of the post. I'm sure I would learn a lot, but the simple fact that we never worked together yet... many of these statements aren't valuable in my opinion. I do know a little bit of everything, we've been trained to know how other employees are working and what is their language to make easier the communication aspect. Artists and programmers are mostly on two opposite sides and the Level Designers are mostly making the link between them.

My specialities are Level & Game Design. Mostly Game Design, but it would be hard to prove it hey, with copyright issues and not having the time or chance to have a whole team to work on it, but whoever worked with me would tell you the same. I'm the kind of guy that is easy to go with, very quick at finding solution and making solid analysis, etc. My Game Design teacher [Game Designer at Ubisoft Montreal Studio], teaching the Game Design Formation at Montreal University told me I should get a job in Game Design and absolutely no need of the University formation because I was fully proficient in with the subject, but he had no influence on the recruiting so I would not be able to truly prove I'm proficient until I get the opportunity to get a Team... and that is true.

That's the hard step and it will always be... to get a foot in the industry. I do have a Game/ Level Design Formation, but I didn't learn any technical elements of Game or Level Design there that I didn't know so I mainly focus on a 1 year of making porojects and manage them the best I could.

It should be mentioned that on average people who have no prior industry experience (and/or only have training through a 'game design school') but who are ambitious have considered starting their own company from the get-go before. If you don't have the money to do that, that's a big problem, because you would certainly not have the credibility of being able to lead a studio at the age of 22, certainly not if you'll be dealing with almost only people who are at least more experienced (in work and life) and older than you.

Having that opportunity with Sony in Santa Monica is a great chance for you to get into the industry and gain some real 'frontline' experience of what it is like to work in the industry. Do that for a few years before you consider starting your own company and you'll have infinitely more perspective on the entire business, not to mention a more credible background.

On a side note, I looked at the Ubisoft Dream Team thingy and it looks like it's utterly preposterous. A marketing ploy to make people search for others who would be willing to relocate and then they pick and mix those who appear to be good at what they are. Or maybe that's just cynicism and they're really trying to willingly fly in people from all over the world to start a team there to work for Ubi.

Absolutely,
I didn't get a job at Santa Monica, it sounded more like an interview opportunity and it wasn't specified if it was for Game Design or Level Design. "Designers" is a large...

Working with experienced people in different specialities is one thing, but you can't compare a Game Designer to a programmer or a 3D Artist. I'm experiencing visual entertainment for 8 years now [film, table games, video games , etc.] and I'm the rookie type who woke up telling himself.. hey I wanna make games. I've been deeply creating Dungeon & Dragons stuff for years [map, npcs, quest, character creation, stories, new weapons, monster creation, new classe creation ,etc], the experience you get in that is something across Live Playtest and Game/Level Design creation.

I've experience deep enough gaming to truly understand what makes truly shine the Core Gameplay Mechanic of a game both for Multiplayer and Singleplayer, mostly what is going to be the next step; but that is "my weapon in the pocket". I played so many FPS that I came at the stage of not playing the game... just study it everyday deeper than if I was just playing. When you play a game you learn stuff, but your brain is way too focus on playing it that you can't fully benefit of a deep analysis & understanding. Same goes for efficient meditation [or any physical/ mental training] when you eat something two minutes ago.

Being a visionary... sorry but I don't find any formation for that except maybe.. practicing both your creative & anticipation skills. Being able to spot Game Design mistakes in the actual next gen games is one thing, but being able to find real & possible solution is another. So utlimately, the only thing I can say is... wait and see or come work with me once I've finished the GDD and see yourself.

But I must say that I find that kind of thread mostly amusing. Mostly because many pros (I'm not aiming at anybody here specifically) do think that new comers are completely ignorant of how things must be done and can be done. Veterans are mostly afraid of new changes too... even if it's for good.

I hope this thread may help many new comers too, there are many great advices and opinions that should be took in consideration.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
My question would be:
"What do you think a Dev Team needs to make a game of the year, seriously?"

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
you're too much talk, maybe you should consider a career in PR?
It's something I may consider :rolleyes: .
Thx

Or maybe I should just write a book on the social negative effects of energy drinks (LOLL)

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Experience is very vague, may you define it please?
Because I do agree that the employees must be able to do their work. I mean, a programmer who knows who to program games, but only made mods or else... it doesn't mean he can't program a GoTY. Same for the others...

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Experience at making games and everything connected to it. Just look at previous GOTY, none of them is the first thing ever created by the corresponding developer studio.

Last edited: