TEXTURE UNIVERSE!!!!!!! Feedback please

• Thread starter Das Fragmeister
  • Start date
  • Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
FedTed: I'm the fool!
Of course you must convert jppg to PCX
/me bangs the head against the wall
bullet2.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Still problems whit exprting textures. This is what I have done:
1.I launched Corel PhotoPaint8.
2.Loaded JPG image
3. Exported it to pcx format
4.Launched UeD
5. Clicked ImportTextures
6.Clicked Ok
7.Nothing happens

This is what I tryed
1. Exported one of the original textures
2. Again launched PhotPaint
3. I painted some differences to that texture
4. Saved it
5. Again opened UeD
6. Clicked Import
7. Put there Package ROMAN
8. clicked Ok
9. It shows up!

So what I'm doing wrong?

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Graet you have them! Thanx!

Here it is: schwarz-r@t-online.de

bullet2.gif

“The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination”
“Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly”
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Got it Das.
WOW!! Good work!!

I thought more about rectangular textures, but this one is great. I don't really like the skull, because a want some "serious" signs. My map is about a military base. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to the other textures!

Oh, you said I needed to resize the texture.
I changed it from 256*256 to 128*128. But it seems that the resolution also decreased, althought the programm (Corel PhotoPaint) said the resoultion would be equal. In UnrealEd the texture now looks "pixely"!
And my texture package will be very big at the end!

Any suggestions about this problem?
bullet2.gif

“Lying is a skill like any other, and if you want to maintain a level of excellence, you have to practice constantly”

[This message has been edited by 8-4-7-2 (edited 06-19-2000).]

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Hmmmmmmmmm........

The texture I sent was a relatively huge 512x512...resizing it to 128x128 (at 72 dpi) should still give you adequate resolution...

Where does it show the pixels? In Corel or UnrealEd? I use Photoshop, so I'm not thoroughly familiar...but with more details of the exact process you're using to change the resoltion, I could probably tell you where the problem is....

I'll send those others without the skull-and-crossbones symbol, but if you'd like, I can still include symbols (like a lightening bolt for the high voltage sign) or just text...whichever you prefer.

-Scott
[MUTTS] Das

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Hmmmmmmmmm........

The texture I sent was a relatively huge 512x512...resizing it to 128x128 (at 72 dpi) should still give you adequate resolution...

Where does it show the pixels? In Corel or UnrealEd? I use Photoshop, so I'm not thoroughly familiar...but with more details of the exact process you're using to change the resoltion, I could probably tell you where the problem is....

I'll send those others without the skull-and-crossbones symbol, but if you'd like, I can still include symbols (like a lightening bolt for the high voltage sign) or just text...whichever you prefer.

-Scott
[MUTTS] Das

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
I did this:
1)Loaded the jpeg into Corel PhotoPaint
2)Changed this size to 128*128 at 72 dpi
3)Saved as pcx
4)Importes it into UnrealEd
==&gt; The pixels show up in Corel and even more in UnrealEd and the game itself

I could keep the size. Then I only need to scale down the texture in UnrealEd. But the texture package will be a bigger file. So, if there is no solution never mind!

The skull looks great for itself. I only think it doesn't fit to "Authorized Personnel". It would be good for "Danger..." indicating a threat to life like poison or whatever. Of course lightnings fit to "High Voltage"!
bullet2.gif

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
OK...here's the problem...I checked it out.....I'd go no lower than 256x256. You're being too ambitious with the file size...128x128 isn't high enough resolution for that. It might be for a tiling texture, since that repeats seamlessly and can be used smaller. But this is a specialty texture, so it needs to be bigger.

Re: design. Sure, I can make it without or with other symbols. I actually like the skull-and-crossbones, since I've seen "danger" signs, even military-related, that have threatening symbols like that. I think it would work on an "authorized personnel only" sign since, in a top-secret area, it would indicate trespassers were risking being shot (which would be clearly be the effect in UT.) But I'll see what variations I can make when I send them tonight. If it helps, I'll send them at 256x256 instead of the larger file size.

Scott
[MUTTS] Das :)

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Thanks!
If you want leave the size at 512*512. I will only resize them to 256*256, or even let it be like it is!

Design: That sounds logic. I leave at to your fantasy ;)
bullet2.gif

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
I should have kept track of this topic. :)

Das, where's my box? hehe.. Just kidding around. Been working on the DogPound some more. I think there's more than enuff textures you've given me. However, I'll let you have a run through once it's done so you can check it out yourself.

Mappers:

For large areas that use 1 texture, I use 256x256 8 bit. For smaller objects, I change the texture size to 128x128. It has to be pcx and use adaptive when you switch the it to 256 colours.

It's nice to have a personal texture artist in the clan. :) However, I've been lazy and will get crackin on the map. Since UED2 is soooooooo stable compared to the first one!

Where's my box!! :D

bullet2.gif

imu2.gif
[MUTTS]GunnerX

-I need my box!

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Man, I'm never gonna get this site up at this rate.... :)

I've been mired in Dreamweaver 3 tutorials out the wazoo. Anybody that knows how to take a spliced interface (with rollovers and animations), import the layers into DW3, convert the whole thing to tables, and then still be able to use frames and have it work in a Netscape browser...well, then, I'll make anything you want!!!! :)

I have some box textures I'll make...heh heh...in fact, I have a big SECRET about 100s of extra textures I can offer on my site...but I'm waiting on some confirmation e-mails (and getting the site up) before I can make it all happen....

In the meantime....Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, ImageReady, 6pm-2am every night, with dinner, a girlfriend, some UT, and texture-making thrown in....

Ahhhhhh! Help! :)

I need an intern. ;)

Scott
[MUTTS] Das

FedTed

May 15, 2000
Visit site
Well.... How can I change my texture size from 512*512 to 256*256? I'm REALLY bad whit whit Corel PhotoPaint and PhotoShop. Funny thing, I own them both, but I don't know nearly anything about them =)

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
FedTed: I only own the German version of Corel PhotoPaint, so I don't know exactly the English menu names.
Click on the tool bar at the top. Select "Picture"(?) and "Test picture"(?):
It's the 4th from left and then the 3rd from above! The rest should be clear.

Das: I got all 3 textures. Really great work. Nearly exactly what I wanted. If all your textures are of that quality your Texture Universe site will be a big, sucessful hit! (If you get it online ;) )
bullet2.gif

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
Here's what I do in conversion in Photoshop:

Open up the 512x512 image. Now, right click on the top bar of the image (it says the image name). The first option will be Image Size. Resize your image. Since the image is square you can leave the constrain on. Just make sure that it says Pixels and not inches.. :)

Then, go to Edit (or something) and choose mode. Click on Indexed. Choose 256 Adaptive. If it has a number less than 256, place 256 in there.

Now you can save your image as PCX.

bullet2.gif

imu2.gif
[MUTTS]GunnerX

-Too lazy for a sig..

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
A **bump** for one of the longest topics I've seen in the editing forum!

bullet2.gif

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Yes, I've never been so proud. :)

TU is progressing...slowly but surely...got alot of material to go through and setting up the site itself is always time-consuming...

it's on it's way....

-Scott

Dark_Outlaw lPuFl

May 16, 2000
Raleigh, NC
BUMP

hey DF-

sorry it has been awhile since i have spoken with ya...real world duties have interfered with my UT mapping and i haven't been able to work on it for a week. have the main courtyard done, now i am just have to work on my fountain and water pool and my cavern walls...another week and that should do it.

anything new you have that u can send my way, i would appreciate it!

i will start zipping the maps and sending them to you later this week.

[MUTTS] Das

Mar 13, 2000
Cool...still working on the site. I'm switching from Dreamweaver to GoLive since the site is very tables-based, and tables are easier to set up visually with exact-positioning in GoLive. So I've just been stalled a little as I design the site, learn DW3, GoLive, Fireworks and ImageReady simultaneously, acquire all the software to zip and catalog the textures, etc...

work, work, work....

I'll send you what I can as I can....

:)