texture pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
i've already got all the textures i'm using exported to .pcx. now how do i make the texture pack so i can send it along with my map? i thought i had it right, but i mailed it to my friend and it still said it couldn't find the FunkKPTex.utx file.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Re-apply textures

Is "FunkKPTex.utx" the texture pack you sent to your friend, or the one that has the textures you originally used? If it's the 2nd, then I suspect what you need to do is re-apply all the textures from your new custom texture pack. Otherwise the UT system will try to load the textures off the custom pack you originally applied them from. And use different names for the re-imported pcx textures, otherwise the editor may still try to load the original texture pack. I've seen that happen in my case.

Hope this helps.
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
the funkkptex.utx is the one that has the original files... it isn't the one i sent my friend.

i'm trying your idea now.

thanks for the help... i'll post again to say if it worked or if i'm more or a doorknob than i think i am.

jacksøn6

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Hummmm...

Sadly, I believe that 1001 is correct, you must have misunderstood something here.

Normally designers will make the texture packages they intend on using for a level before or as they build the level.

So I need a texture for this water tank.

Find texture / make texture.

Set the correct amount of dark/light for the image many custom textures IMHO are TOO bright, and look too bright with only a little light raytraced on them when within the editor or playing.

You can at any time update the custom texture pack with the same image, after making adjustments to the image.

Then once you are happy set the DETAIL texture for the new image/texture, adding any Inf 2.8 sound info, Wood, Sand, Street, Rock etc etc. if you want that is (btw this will TIE your level to Infiltation, thats fine with me).

And save your texture file after any changes, saves having to do them again when you test play the level and some brushes have the default texture... bummer... I have done that three times to-date very irritating..

OH a very very BIG BE-CAREFUL here, never name a texture with the same name as one within another texture pack... try to find a good prefix for it so this doesn't happen, take it from me that if you do things get very messy indeed.

For example I call all of my news packs with a rw_ prefix, so rw_WoodenBox_A, but even then you can easyily call them the same name as another texture within anyother texture pack of yours..

Sorry to ramble...

Bastard'O

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
well the it's not working. i temporarily removed the texture packs that i had taken textures from (FunkKPTex, Crypt2) and re-saved (and replaced) the previous custom texture pack that i've created (11.utx). i run UT and it says it cannot find package FunkKPTex.utx. so i quit UT and go back and put that back in and run UT again... same thing with the Crypt2.utx package.

my computer has almost suffered a beating because i'm getting pissed off about this.

bastard 'o, so basically what i should do is have a custom texture pack all set before i start making the map?

i've got the map how i want it for now (which will change in a day), but i have to be sure that when it's DONE, it can be distributed, which is why i'm going nuts trying to get it to work. in my case right now, should i just reconstruct the buildings that i've already made and start entirely over? the guardhouse only took about 30 mins, but the guard tower took about two hours... i'm not looking foward to that. i suppose i could export the brushes huh?

oh well. **** happens..... and always to me.

jacksøn6

bastard_o

Lead Designer
NO, please don't waste all that time...

Some chat first...

If you when making your level take a texture from here a texture from there, you will soon end up with a 2mb unr for your level, but 20mb of utx's to make sure go with your level.

Or you go thru all the texture packs you have and decide, I will use that one and that one, and make sure you stick to it, ending up with just those two to zip and put with your level.

What I do is this, I tend to use standard UT texture packs where necesssary, I guess as little as possible becauee UT ones are a bit old now.

Then I just create and add to my new custom pack as necessary.

Some rules that I adhere to... Never ever change or update either a UT standard or anyone elses texture packs, this will cause ppl lots of problems with texture file version differences.

After I have sent out a custom texture pack to the big world out there, I never change it... I guess because a 5mb to re-ftp when only one texture has changed or added, rather than making a small new one or even just stuff it in the levels internal texture pack "Mylevel".

Ok what you can do with your level which EVEN if you retextured the whole thing by hand there is still some hidden surfaces that you can't see hance can't get at BUT they DO have references to these texture packs you DON'T want to package with your level.

You can edither export the whole level, exit the editor, reload the editor and import your exported level, you will see that all your geometry has been striped of all texture references. Just a case of retexturing it with the NEW textures you wanted...

Or... A excellent tip Andirez passed on to me is this... You can CULL (Kill/Remove) all of one textures references within your level by HIGHLIGHTING the texture (just one surface will do) and type in "texture cull" at the command line, this will remove ALL of that texture from your level, I assume replacing it with the default one.

Bastard'O

bastard_o

Lead Designer
Texture Cull

Hummm, looks like I opened my big mouth too soon, I tried the tip, and couldn't get it to work.

So I do believe it will/should work, so I have asked the guy who passed it on to me to tell me again... /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Damn useful command saves having to export and import the whole level to rid yourself of used but unseen textures...

Bastard'O

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
alright bastard...

.. texture cull...... um....... well...

IT WORKED.

now all you have to do is tell me your address so i can send you one of my cd's /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thanks a tøn man.

jacksøn

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
døh!

i sent my friend the .utx and the map (.unr) and he said he could play the map, but it was the crappy default texture. so, i'm assuming all i need to do is re-apply the textures from my custom .utx (11.utx)... right?

yeah, i'm a dølt.

jacksøn6

Alpha_9

Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Texture cull

How exactly do you get this to work? I tried it as described by Bastard'O, but it didn't cull anything!

I could sure use this command, been having a couple nagging textures that I haven't been able to get rid of in my map.
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

"Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
all i did was type in: texture cull at the command line at the bottom of UnrealEd 2.0 and then i viewed the log. it said what texture packages it culled. i'm assuming now all that has to be done is to re-texture everything.

what version of UnrealEd are you using?

jacksøn6

Alpha_9

Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
I'm using UED 2.0 (UT version 428).

You mean you culled ALL the textures from your map? I only want to do what Bastard'O described above, selecting 1 particular texture to remove from the map. I certainly don't want to re-texture my whole map!

I tried highlighting the texture in-map, then typing "texture cull" at the command line. Didn't work. I even tried highlighting/selecting the texture in the texture browser, then type "texture cull". Still didn't work. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

The odd thing about this texture is it doesn't actually register as being assigned to any polygon! I can select a polygon, give it the offending texture temporariliy, then highlight the poly again & pick "matching textures" from the "select" menu options, then right-click on it again, & find it only counts 1 polygon w/ the texture, the one I temporarily assigned it to! Meaning there are no other polys in the map w/ the texture.

So why in Sam Hell is this texture being loaded by the map????

I assume this "texture cull" command will solve the problem. At least I'm hoping it does. If I can get it to work...
<h2><font face="symbol">
a 1001</font></h2>

John Donne

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
it should definitely fix your problem, though i don't know why it's being a b1tch for you.

to answer your question, yes, i culled my entire map (all textures) because i've only worked on it for less than a week, i don't have THAT much done on it. two buildings, ground, sky, that's it.

i wish i could help you on the Texture Cull command... i'm afraid i'm new to all this... so my help would do nothing.

jacksøn6

jackson6

Oct 25, 2000
i'm assuming re-texturing everything (which was simple, only 2 buildings) after the "texture cull" would fix the prob, right?

jacksøn6