TESTERS NEEDED! Try a new and different map!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
New map finished, needs testers.

Hello, folks, I just finished (I hope) my latest creation, and I would really appreciate if some people would try it out for me!

Feedback is, obviously, what I'm looking for here. The map can be found at http://kuroitenshi.tripod.com/dm-mb.zip

It's only 298k, and I'm sorry but I can't give you guys a screenie since tripod has become a real bitch.

Anyway, this map isn't really designed for bots, although it's fully pathed. Due to the nature of the map, the bots' AI isn't really up to the special gameplay required, but I suppose on masterful they may put up a good fight.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah, you need SGTech1 for this one, people. Sorry.

Last edited:

Xa|Bubba

Jul 2, 2001
On Website
www.frontiernet.net
Hey dude :)
I just d/l'ed your map to test it for you. I started reading the readme files (html). I know what "KNOWN BUG" is and here is hint for next time. You made a mover in an empty space WITH-IN your map. I found out the hard way this leaves an invisible "entity" of that mover IN YOUR MAP. I had this happend 3 times before I figured it out. I also read a tutorial that mentioned this (after the fact, doesn't it figure). Now I make all my movers way AWAY from the map in another room OR another map and "copy & past" into the map your working on.

You wrote in readme below
-------------------------------------------
On the main ramp, if you walk DOWN on it, you get nudged aside by an invisible wall. To the extent of my knowledge, this only happens if you walk downwards, not upwards, and not if you run, so this isn't really a big deal.

You also wrote in your readme below
---------------------------------------------------
YOU NEED SGTECH1 TO PLAY THIS MAP, IT COMES WITH BONUS PACK 4

Compaint Department:
Where do I get this bonus pack?????????? I just read this and now see it in the forums :(
Can you send me that file (SGTECH1)???????

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
Actually, I didn't make any movers for this level. Not a one. The "wall" is caused by the curved shape, nothing more. UT handles curves pretty badly, which is why this map was so tricky to make.

As for SGTech1, you can get it at the UT tech site, as part of Bonus Pack 4.

http://unreal.epicgames.com/

I would send it to you, but it's generally a better idea to get the whole pack, since there are more textures included. Plus it's kinda big.

Xa|Bubba

Jul 2, 2001
On Website
www.frontiernet.net
Well dude, looks like your out of luck.

Maybe I'll get to it next week. You should have included it with your post or a link to the exact file. I don't want any bonus pack right now, sorry but I have enough stuff as it is now :(

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
DLing now!!!

Hey there,

Im getting it now, but for some reason it says its a 2.9 Mb file for me, o well.

Ill report back after a jolly good ass whupping on a LAN if i can swing it, otherwise the bot pathing will be tested fairly extensively

DrWinky AKA EricSandovale

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
ummm, crap!

hey,

I dled it, and got somethin completely different.

Im vewy scared now

Can you attach it on here as a*.zip. I know what im getting then.

Cheers

DrWinky AKA EricSandovale

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
I played the map and it is different. It has some very serious gameplay issues. You can out run your shots. Yep I outran my rockets and got shot in the abck. A bot fired sec shock at me and outran it and suicided with it:D lol. It's funny at first but highly irratating when you're looking to play a serious game.
Also I ran past ammo and pickups very easily because of the intense speed.
Aside from that the leve is pretty simple in architecture. Skybox could use somework and the area where you fall...the pileons need to be bigger or lit or something. They look wierd like skinny black sticks.
Theres a BSP cut where the Keg and deemer are.
I think parts of the arean should be wider...especially where you can fall over the side. It's too easy to dodge off or just accidently move sideways and fall.
The part where the ramp leads down the keg...if you're not careful..ie slow you end up flying off the ground and cratering.
Ok I know that's a lot of criticism there but I honestly think it's a neat idea. Just not implemented well. Its different so it makes sense the first attempt might not be best. Maybe if you mised zone...some normal some fast. You're the brains behind it you think about it. Good Luck.

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
The big ramp seems to be the main concern here. From my point of view it's perfectly fine. When I made it I wanted to have a fast, smooth ride from the bottom and a slalem(sp?) jump from the top. That's why there's a keg at the bottom, if you get off at top speed you land right on the keg and regain any health you lost. The keg respawns fast so every time it has a good chance of being there.

As for outrunning your shots, that's intentional. That's why there are 3 redeemers, you fire them at your feet and by the time they explode you are long gone.

I guess it's not for everybody, it's just a different style of gameplay than from regular UT.

If those are your only concerns, I'm still going to submit it to NC.

I considered beefing up the detail (god knows it's lacking), but then I realized that the node count would spike through the roof in most places, so I'm leaving it as is. Speed is of the essence here. I like it.

DeathAdder

a.k.a. LightBringer
Jul 8, 2001
north carolina
Visit site
mb map

I think the map has potential. Kind of reminds me of a roller coaster. Maybe if you set it up so that you don't crater at the keg then it would be nice. i like the lighting layout pretty much. I would at some corona lights at the keg entrance out on a pole or something. that would be cool.

I notice that when i flip that I slow down. I'm a flipper and found that i was frustrated. Oh, well.

to get rid of the invisible wall if you haven't already, use the find actors window and look and see if you have movers. if so, double click on that mover and the views will all zoom to the mover. if you delete the mover(s) then the invisible wall should go away. i ran into that problem as well. mover leaves invisible junk around.

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
Nah, no movers, and I fixed the mess at the bottom of the ramp with the non-planar polygons.

Gee, is the jump really that bad? I think it's the best part of the map: imagine chasing someone down through the air or making a getaway high above the ground.

But it seems what pisses people off is the damage you take at the bottom. I put a keg there, but what would be ideal is that you wouldn't TAKE any damage. Maybe there is a trick I can do with zones.

Is there a zone where you don't take any damage for any reason? I could put it at the bottom near ground level...

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
i havn't seen the map but just a thought. from what i read above sounds like you have a large jump. You could try a small pool @ the bottom a bit like the impossible dive at the old circus' you know 50 ft into 5ft of water about 3 ft wide. sorry if i got the wrong idea.:rolleyes: :D

KuroiTenshi

Ach, ye gibbun.
Feb 16, 2001
kuroitenshi.tripod.com
The water is a good idea, but the momentum from the jump would still make you hit the bottom of the pool unless it was really deep, and frankly, the point is to hit the ground running, not, uh, swimming.

Oh, I've got it. A zone where the gravity is set to positive 10000000 or something. It would only be like 32 units high, and you would just hit the ground with a fraction of the momentum you would otherwise have....

I'm gonna go try it out.