Team play

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GroundShock

Jun 1, 2001
The Netherlands
www.eveolution.com
You gotta consider. A new inf player comes in a server, just got done with his game of quake or cs. He is going to have to get used to all this new stuff. I, personally wouldn't give it 10 minutes, if it has too much right off the bat it isn't worth my time. It maybe better once i know how to do everything, but you gotta make it in steps...

Right now a newbie has to get used to the loadout system, a new aiming sytem. stamina, all the new buttons, leaning, prone, weapon mode switch, ect ect.. THen you want to make him have to learn how to communicate with teammates well. Move in a group, use teamwork!? That is some complicated **** right there. And on top of that, he doesn't get to know who he is playing against or anything... poor guy. That is why he will go back to cs and quake and not stay and explore inf.
(also by BrownCow)

True, that's indeed the case with new players. There's no stopping or solving there. New players have to familiarize with the controls, the players, the strategies and the mod in general. Right now too many experienced players either ignore newbies or run of on their 'i'm gonna kill the enemy all by myself!' mission and forget about the newbie. In some cases, the experienced player might receive some cover from the newbie, but in most of the games i've played i've seen newbies hanging around near the spawn point or run around on their own, making a few tk's or blowing up themselves when they threw a nade against a wall (when it was supposed to go over) and got back in their face. New players need some guidance and most players dont bother giving it because they feel that they dont need other players to help them, regardless of what they say. Players feel pratically invulnerable and know that they can fight most opponents without much trouble.

The reason why experienced players run off is because of my earlier described problems.

Last edited:

-=motten=-

Jun 11, 2001
users.cybercity.dk

I'd have to disagree on that, on acount of personal experience...

As you're no doubt aware of by now (if you follow the forums), I'm new here. So far I really haven't run into any experienced players slaggin' me off and such...

The second time I joined a game, someone (I forget the name) said something like "hi motten - welcome mate", because he'd seen my "hello" post here - maybe I'm just lucky... ;-)
Had to quit said game due to a 500 ping unfortunately...

On the other hand, I >did< bother to read the manual and practice for half an hour with bots before I joined the first online game - so it's not like I was tk'ing people and such (only did that once in my 2-3 hours of online play)...

Anyways - thanks to the kind people I've run into so far...

Cheers

motten

deck

Jan 23, 2001
Speed is just fine

Gowd, I cant believe the peopel that want this slower. This is about as slow as I can go. If you want team work join a clan for gods sake, public servers are just that. PUBLIC, you get all walks a life in there. Speed is just fine. I really hope you dont change it. Im keeping tabs on these boards now, so i can see why things have changed. There a crap load of other people Clan based that would not want to see the speed decreased too. I guess I ll have to go encourage em to get in here again.

Cheers

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
As for the taking away the f1 screen I disagree with this.
A) You can figure out # of players by the server limit and / by 2 or # of people on your team
B) It takes away the social part of INF making it mindless.
C) Assume the squad your on is well known and inteligence from the other team has relayed gathered info on your squad
D) As for new maps that can also be achieved with even more realism by random spawns (again :p). You wont know where the enemy is or if they can encircle you etc, but you still know sniper spots and/or layout of the complex from sattelite photos or blue prints.

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
something else to consider:

In lots of 'semi-realistic' mods when a player gets shot they either get knocked backwards or completely lose their momentum (ie the player stops, and if you are under fire you are effectively pinned down). If this was incoorporated into INF, or at least some sort of momentum system (which surely is realistic), then it would possibly reduce the amount of ramboing, as if you are under fire with no backup to distract/engage the enemy you will not be able to escape and will have to be very lucky to stay alive.

Basically in Counter-strike I am much more cautious, use cover a lot and try to get support from teammates where possible because I know that if I am hit it will be hard for me to recover alone.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
arg.. i wrote a rather long post, (i was angry too, it doesn't happen often) and everyone ignores it. read it at the second page (i think that is why it was ignored).
It's a good read, and "edumacational" too.

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
About movement speed...

Most of the time, it's ok. But if you play enough games, you will encounter a few speedy gonzales that seem to dodge bullets and run around so fast there is no way you can get a good shot at them... I'm not sure how they manage it (either low bulk loadout, very fast computer or some new cheat) but they are so much harder to hit it's insane. I usually do well online, but against thoses "freak" i can't do much, and that's really annoying...

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM

[vague statement]
This is a game and to take away the ability to know who you are playing against is gay
[/vague statement]

Whats the point of getting online and playing with your friends if you dont know who your playing.

GroundShock

Jun 1, 2001
The Netherlands
www.eveolution.com
[vague statement]
This is a game and to take away the ability to know who you are playing against is gay
[/vague statement]

Whats the point of getting online and playing with your friends if you dont know who your playing.
(by GNAT)

I never said that you should remove the team-info screen. The only thing i said was that it's a bit unrealistic to know exactly who you're playing against. Of course you shouldnt remove it. I'm glad there is such a screen, and i'm glad that i can where my friends are hanging out. Nevertheless, it's something that does stand in the way of realism and to less extent; teamplay.

This problem is just a small example of the bigger problem that you know too much about the game. You know the map, and you know the opposing team. Most players fight different if they face a force of unknown size in an unknown map. That's my statement. They tend to play more careful instead of rushing off to kick enemy player's asses and most players, because they dont know the map, tend to work together a bit more (covering each other, looking for sniper pos. etc.). The essential part of my posts is that this obstructs, in my eyes, teamplay. I would like to discuss THIS, not the ways to fix both problems (like removing the F1-screen or 'randomizing' the maps (whatever that would be), both are simply ideas).

GroundShock

Jun 1, 2001
The Netherlands
www.eveolution.com
Re: ...

Originally posted by -=motten=-
I'd have to disagree on that, on acount of personal experience...

As you're no doubt aware of by now (if you follow the forums), I'm new here. So far I really haven't run into any experienced players slaggin' me off and such...

The second time I joined a game, someone (I forget the name) said something like "hi motten - welcome mate", because he'd seen my "hello" post here - maybe I'm just lucky... ;-)
Had to quit said game due to a 500 ping unfortunately...

On the other hand, I >did< bother to read the manual and practice for half an hour with bots before I joined the first online game - so it's not like I was tk'ing people and such (only did that once in my 2-3 hours of online play)...

Anyways - thanks to the kind people I've run into so far...

Cheers

motten

Sure, sometimes this happens. I've had similar experiences with players like EvilMouse (DiE) amongst others (the only name i can remember right now). They are friendly, respect the fact that your new and sometimes help out a bit. Still, most players pretty much ignore new players. I'm not a very experienced player. Sometimes i end up on the #1 pos. while on other matches i end up last or somewhere in the middle. I exagerated things a bit, sure, most new players dont around tk-ing or blowing themselves up, but i've seen it happen quitte some times. And that's ok. You're new to the game and you have to learn it a bit.

carnivore

Built For The kill
Feb 6, 2001
israel
To new players

First, i want to welcome all the newbies around , and i highly recomend that you spend some time playing offline with bots ( download DLL bottweaker, a must have) , get to know the game, shoot a little in the fire range, and after that go play online.

About team play- well, i think that lowering speed will be very welcome , and will add alot to the game play and realism.
But, maybe we need more TEAM basem games, like TDM or CTF and ofcourse EAS, but we still dont have them, so we need to play with TDM for now...

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by yurch
arg.. i wrote a rather long post, (i was angry too, it doesn't happen often) and everyone ignores it. read it at the second page (i think that is why it was ignored).
It's a good read, and "edumacational" too.

I totally agreed with that post. I don't consider TDM really a team game because it has no real objectives. That is why i never understand "camping".. YOu are defending nothing, you have no base, just go kill. The objective is to kill..

You were right on about my style of play. I have no patience, i'm an attacker. I can't "camp", i just don't do it. I say "rambo" because i assumed everyone ment that was a nickname for a player who doesn't use "teamwork".. I guess it means something else :p I'm no rambo.

GroundShock

Jun 1, 2001
The Netherlands
www.eveolution.com
Sure we need more teambased games. You usually see a lot of teamplay in UT Assault or CTF (although CTF has a somewhat higher level of 'ramboing'). Maps like AS-Overlord are perfect teamplay maps that simply prevent ramboing players because the defending players have perfect sniper positions and defense perimeters.

I'm looking forward to seeing EAS online.

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Re: To new players

Originally posted by C@RN!VORE
About team play- well, i think that lowering speed will be very welcome , and will add alot to the game play and realism.
But, maybe we need more TEAM basem games, like TDM or CTF and ofcourse EAS, but we still dont have them, so we need to play with TDM for now...

Teamwork is NOT walking together and covering eachothers backs. That is just 2 people helping eachother. But guess what, 1 nade and you both dead. THAT is stupidity. If you walk with a teammate you will both die.

Teamwork is when your teammate dies and you konw exactly where he was and where to expect the enemy to be coming from. You then try for some kinda ambush based on what you know. Teamwork is also letting your team know when you killed an enemy. And where you killed them at. Teamwork is communication.

Teamwork is not walking in groups. It has nothing to do with that.

Slowing down the game will only make more campers and grenades will become even more effective because everyone is trying for thier stupid "hey lets walk together". Just think, 3 of you walking together, nice and slow like you want it. 1 nade boom, you all dead. even if you saw it, you were too slow to get outa the way.

Mar 19, 2001
San Diego, CA
I got to agree with BrownCow on that one. Teamwork is communication, knowing where everyone is at all times, coordinatation, AND covering eachother. In places like EP I cover my teammates but I never walk right next to a teammate if I can help it. Thats just asking to be naded. When Im with someone I usually try to stay a few feet behind them or on one side of them.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
many tribes games require you to destroy a generator before a flag can be grabbed. Its quite possible you will NEVER see the guy the destroyes the generator, but the simulteneous attack certainly is teamwork.
Some one who destroys the gens could find them working again, by the time he got to the flag... oops.
Thats why he can't do it alone.