...Tabletop Gaming

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I have 4 magic decks.

I haven't bought a single card.

I am the master of borrowing cards.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
It's not this is it?
Indeed, it's not. Well after looking at the pics it actually seems to be a variation of it. The word "marble" kinda threw me off.

This is more recognizable:

ppVlR.jpg

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
shh,
the games' name means 'don't get mad'.

No it doesn't, it means don't get annoyed. ,,lol:mad: Isn't annoyed, it's .... actually, I don't know what the hell that is. But that's beside the point.

Funny thing is, that game is *really* popular among elderly people in Germany. Some hotels I've been to even have upscaled electronic versions of the gameboard as standard furniture, right next to the pool table, the way we Dutch people have slots machines in most bars.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
More boardgame talk.

Luck sucks. Sure, it's fun every now and then, but dammit too much of it just makes you feel like anything you do is pointless. Relatively little chance can spoil otherwise brilliant strategy games, and people don't seem to get that when you roll lucky it's not really anything you're doing right that's making you win.

With that in mind, Dungeon Twister is now my most fave game evar (at least for boardgames). The iniitial layout of the dungeon is all that is random in this 2 player tactical, fantasy-themed game. A wizard traps creatures and people from all over the world in this dungeon that has twisting rooms and blah blah blah score 5 points (1 point for killing an enemy's character or escaping one of your characters) and you win. I've been looking for a tactical game (move creatures on a grid game mostly) with little to no luck, and this one delivers. No dice nor any card drawing is involved. Combat is all about positioning and bluffing, unlike almost every other game similar to this one where dice rule the day. It's all strategy in this game, and I love it so much for that. Only downside is that it's 2 players, but the 3/4 player expansion fixes that up quite nicely.

Dungeon Twister has just a little luck that can possibly sway who wins, but Caylus is a perfect information game. The layout of the initial board is randomized, but that is not a disadvantage to anyone because everyone can equally access the board. Caylus is a worker placement game done right. Downside is that it's very heavy (not party game material) and no luck means experienced players will beat newbies every time. That's okay by me.

Did I mention Le Havre is good? It's good. It's like Caylus with just a little bit more randomness, but not by much.

So yeah. Games. On a table. Fun times.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Luck sucks. Sure, it's fun every now and then, but dammit too much of it just makes you feel like anything you do is pointless. Relatively little chance can spoil otherwise brilliant strategy games, and people don't seem to get that when you roll lucky it's not really anything you're doing right that's making you win.

I despise dice. They're the most skill-less gaming instruments ever invented.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
More boardgame talk.

I remember months back I had a little run where I searched the internet for all kinds of board games for about a week trying to figure out what would be right for me. I had a few picked out but in the end I just forgot about the whole thing.

I have to mention Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico since those came up as suggestions so much in my search. They weren't my style though, what I was really looking for was something with a lot of adventure, customization and/or creativity. A randomized starting area really helps with that imo, thus Dungeon Twister looks really good for me.

I think one of the games I was looking at closely was Carcassonne. Too bad it's rated 3 on luck and 1 on creativity and interaction.

Btw I'm also one of those types of people who hate luck and card drawing (even non-luck based, if all the cards are the same benefit, just in a different way). I don't mind social games though.

Edit: Another one I was looking at back then that also looks more promising than Carcassonne is Friedrich. I might just go ahead and buy them both (or three including that dungeon one) soon just to see what's up instead of just wondering.

Anyone have any suggestions for me based on what I've said?

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I used to play "Mensch-Aerger-Dich-Nicht" - I think in the US its called "Aggravation." Does that count? ;)

It's not this is it?

Hah, we've played that every year since I've been old enough to roll a die when we go to visit my grandma (who is German). She has a really old board from the 1950s; everything about it is so nostalgic.

Indeed, it's not. Well after looking at the pics it actually seems to be a variation of it. The word "marble" kinda threw me off.

This is more recognizable:

ppVlR.jpg

it's my lifes' mission to tear up those boardgames :mad:

I've always known that game as Sorry! Apparently all of those are just a part of a large, old group of race games called cross and circle games. Lawl.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Damn it Trynant, reply to the thread you bumped!

Okay

First off:

<A bunch of stuff>

Anyone have any suggestions for me based on what I've said?

I saw your post, but I'm not sure what to recommend. What do you mean by "adventure, customization and/or creativity"? I guess Dominion is a good game to recommend. You're trying to create a deck from a pool of cards shared by the players. Build the most efficient deck to win basically. Very popular game for a good reason: it's good.

I hear Castle Ravenloft/Wrath of Ashardalon are actually really good. They're supposedly something like D&D (4.0) boxed into a quick hour experience. And like that video you posted show, there's adventure and customization (creativity again I'm not sure what you mean).

<BGWS Dungeon Crawl Video>

Dungeon Twister is not a dungeon crawler. Don't make that mistake. It's Wizard's Chess. You control specific pieces that do special things in a very strategic, tactical game. There's no cooperative gameplay, no GM, no you-versus-the-monsters. What there is is one of my favorite tactical games out there. No dice, no shuffled cards; Dungeon Twister is about your skill versus another player's. It also has a good theme attached (i.e. it's not an abstract game although it sure acts like one).

But yeah. I'd recommend looking up Dominion out of all these games first. It's a quick game with a lot of cool stuff going for it. I'm pretty sure there's an online variant out there as well, but I haven't looked into it.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I bought Settlers of Catan the other day since it was the only one of the "better" board games I could find in stores. While playing it was a LOT more enjoyable than Monopoly, I still didn't like that I got raped by dice rolls pretty much the last 3rd of the game and lost. :lol:

I'm gonna have to order and try out Dominion like you suggested, and some other games that were mentioned in here.

How has Dungeon Twister held up now that it's been a couple months?

Also, have you tried any of the expansions or stand alone versions like the "prison" one? I hate how a bunch of these more advanced games have all these different versions, it makes my buying decisions harder. :mad:

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I bought Settlers of Catan the other day since it was the only one of the "better" board games I could find in stores. While playing it was a LOT more enjoyable than Monopoly, I still didn't like that I got raped by dice rolls pretty much the last 3rd of the game and lost. :lol:

I'm gonna have to order and try out Dominion like you suggested, and some other games that were mentioned in here.

How has Dungeon Twister held up now that it's been a couple months?

Also, have you tried any of the expansions or stand alone versions like the "prison" one? I hate how a bunch of these more advanced games have all these different versions, it makes my buying decisions harder. :mad:

Try getting raped by dice rolls early on in the game. Not much else you can do during the rest of the game besides maybe block 1 road for someone.
Settlers is great in terms of not eliminating players, but what it really needs, IMO, is a sort of mechanism that decreases the importance of the early game dice rolls. Get unlucky twice in a row and you're effectively out of the game in terms of chances to win. Those first streets and/or villages can really make all the difference.

Maybe one of the expansions adds this, but I haven't encountered it yet.

Apr 11, 2006
Try getting raped by dice rolls early on in the game. Not much else you can do during the rest of the game besides maybe block 1 road for someone.
Settlers is great in terms of not eliminating players, but what it really needs, IMO, is a sort of mechanism that decreases the importance of the early game dice rolls. Get unlucky twice in a row and you're effectively out of the game in terms of chances to win. Those first streets and/or villages can really make all the difference.

Maybe one of the expansions adds this, but I haven't encountered it yet.

I've only played the base game, but yeah - It's very easy to lose just because you get bad dice rolls. At the same time, it's kind of fun when you're playing with more than 2 players just to play kingmaker with the other players (or alliances if you've got 4+). The social dynamic is what really makes Settlers interesting, but I agree I wish there were a slightly less randomized beginning game.

Edit:

I am not sure if it's standard play, but starting the game with some resources might help prevent game-long lame-duck scenarios. However that might tend to homogenize the game a bit too. Perhaps during the first two turns, if you roll and don't get a resource, you should be able to reroll. That would at least give you a chance to mitigate the luck without essentially giving players more starting goodies.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I've only played the base game, but yeah - It's very easy to lose just because you get bad dice rolls. At the same time, it's kind of fun when you're playing with more than 2 players just to play kingmaker with the other players (or alliances if you've got 4+). The social dynamic is what really makes Settlers interesting, but I agree I wish there were a slightly less randomized beginning game.

Edit:

I am not sure if it's standard play, but starting the game with some resources might help prevent game-long lame-duck scenarios. However that might tend to homogenize the game a bit too. Perhaps during the first two turns, if you roll and don't get a resource, you should be able to reroll. That would at least give you a chance to mitigate the luck without essentially giving players more starting goodies.

Yeah, something like a rule where if it's your turn to roll and you get nothing, you get to pick one of the resources types currently being given to other players and receive one of those. Maybe for the first 3 or 4 turns or so.

At first I never really minded this aspect of Settlers, but after having paid a bit more attention to the start and outcomes of the games I played, there are a surprising number of games where the person with unlucky rolls in the first 5 turns is dead last. That's just a little bit too much for my liking.

With cities and knights it's even worse, because of the added bonus of cities and the commodities you earn with them. Those create an even bigger barrier between the player with a quick second city and someone who's still stuck on villages.

It should be mentioned though, that the people I play with are extremely competitive and very hesitant to trade. Most seem to operate under the assumption that keeping your opponent down is always better than advancing yourself.

Last edited: