Strange lighting phenomenon

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
And if that doesn't work, go into the display settings for the mesh and set bStaticLighting to false - there's some epic meshes that go weird with lighting, switching StaticLighting to false fixes it so there's a good chance it'll sort that problem out.

Fear the Beard

2 and counting...
Jun 10, 2000
Right over there.
Visit site
Well, I'm having no luck at all with this one, if I poke about with the smoothing groups, I get varying results, everything from slightly better to slightly worse.

I've attached a screenie of how it looks with NO smoothing groups.

Attachments

• nosmooth.jpg
    nosmooth.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 62

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
Static Meshes use vertex lighting. It is quite obvious by looking at the lighting on that mesh that there are very few vertices on that side of the mesh. You can see the individual polygons by how they are lit.

You NEED to use more polygons and you NEED to properly distribute/configure them on the model with the lighting in mind. There are tutorials on this I have seen, though I can't remember where, but this is your problem. Also keep in mind that if a vertex is inside the model or other geometry it will not get lit, thus appearing black, so you need to make sure each vertex is 'reachable' by light.

Last edited:

Fish-MD

Oct 28, 2002
To. ON
www.planetunreal.com
or u can turn off the lighting on the mesh...tho im not sure u can...turn some edges.
remeber, a shorter edge will look better then a longer edge

if u dont get what that means then too bad, dont have nuff time to explain all that.

ez way to fix that is trying to tessalate the edges in 3ds max or whatever package u use...
select the polygons and press tessalate...make sure u dont **** up tho