Strange brightness issue

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
This is bugging the bejeezus outta me.

In all my games, I'm looking at what look like normals dark colors and shadows etc,.. but any and all light sources, any of them that involve what seem to be 2 or more lights touching are insanely over bright and saturated.

I've been through all the drivers I can find for my gefarce 8800GT, done a complete formatting and reinstall from XP to directX and everything else. I just can't seem to shake the problem.

I'm on a **** quality M2N-SLI mobo, and I'm almost positive it's got to be a hardware related issue at this point. does anyone know of any hardware issues that would show up as this type of "bleachy" texturing problem?

Or preferably, does anyone know if there might have been some better quality drivers from nVidia I was maybe using before I upgraded and got hit with this crap?

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Are you sure it is driver or videocard related?
It sounds like the dynamic contrast on your screen has gone mad. What type of screen do you use (specs!) and does the same happen with another screen?

Yep, I think ya hit the nail on the head. I'm still on an Emachines CRT monitor.

Manufactured November of 2004, model no.786N.

Here's the weird thing though. My wife has an identical monitor, and hers looks fine hooked up to her PC,.. however when I tried switching them just to try and narrow down the problem, my pc makes her monitor show the same strange over-brightness and such. She even plays a couple of the Source games I play and they look fine on her machine. (of course she's on a much older ATI card, and her machine wasn't built for games really.)

I just know at some point I went messing with stuff, uninstalled some programs, even a powerdvd set 'as I've never burned a single dvd, so I figured "eh ditch it with the rest of this unused junk." and ever since that evening I've had these damned lighting, and now overall contrast problems. :(

Much thanks though for trying to help me narrow this down. :) At least now I've some terminology to search for and look into.