stormcaller, u aint gona like this

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Originally posted by Goat ****er
The reason the M14 is still in service, apart from beeing the only real battle rifle the US ever had, is that it handles some conditions allot better than the M16's, like extreme heat or could, not to mention mud and other nasty things.

Been there, done that, and never had an issue with my rifle. In 6 and a half years of firing, I've had only one stoppage. You just got to know how to take care of the weapon, what lubricants to use, and how much to use.

I sure as hell am dead sure about the extreme heat. I spent the better part of four years in the desert. I've only spent a total of 2 months in extreme cold.

It is a damn fine service rifle.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
St0rmcaller, the last time I went on range, my M16 was functioning like a straight-pull instead of semi-auto, a stoppage every shot. Reason? ****ty mag wasn't feeding properly, think the spring was weak, couldn't move the rounds up in time for bolt going forward, so I had to manually re-cock it after every shot. Oh well, at least I got an Israeli-made plastic mag when I exchanged that one in the armory, those tend to be much more reliable in my experience (haven't seen a stoppage with them yet).

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Originally posted by yurch
Oh, not that picture again...

Heh, no, I was just wondering because the place I heard of it was the SomethingAwful Forums... And there was (US) ex-military people who were talking about it. It's not really a spider... Just called that.

But it can run around 40mph, is mostly in the middle east (I think, not to sure about details), and has incredibly sharp claws. Many people stationed in areas where it exist have horror stories, one in particular was a case where a soldier got part of his eye and part of his cheek basically eaten off while asleep. This is because the "camel spider" numbs the victim.

Also, imagine a ****ing crazy spider-like thing running 40mph... That's just insane.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Originally posted by Gholam
St0rmcaller, the last time I went on range, my M16 was functioning like a straight-pull instead of semi-auto, a stoppage every shot. Reason? ****ty mag wasn't feeding properly, think the spring was weak, couldn't move the rounds up in time for bolt going forward, so I had to manually re-cock it after every shot. Oh well, at least I got an Israeli-made plastic mag when I exchanged that one in the armory, those tend to be much more reliable in my experience (haven't seen a stoppage with them yet).

Good point. Good maintenance of your magazines is essential also. Dented, or cracked magazines, or those with weak or old springs, are the primary cause of stoppage. That, and improper loading of the rounds. I've never seen the plastic magazines, but you seem to be a fan of them.

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
They are made by Orlite, I'd post a pic but I don't have a digital camera, and the only photo I found online is of a slightly different model, here it is anyway:

Mag30RndOrlite.jpg

FAR more sturdy than the usual GI mags from my experience... those constantly get dented, and the spot welding often comes loose, but I haven't seen a damaged Orlite mag yet, nor had one feed improperly. Galil mags beat them both though, in all areas but weight - those are made of steel, and the lips are reinforced with extra steel plating, like 2mm thick, good luck inflicting any damage on those.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
The stuff about it eating a man's face is just crap.

Yeah, they have MASSIVE chelicerae, but as a general rule of thumb if they can't wrap those jaws around their victim they won't try to hunt and eat it.

Plus the camel spider's jaws are so huge because it has no venom, and has to crush its prey instead...

http://www.ufsia.ac.be/Arachnology/Pages/Solifugae.html