StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I meant that if you'd have lost those gates you would have been massively delayed on your robotic and your immortal was ready just on time with his next canon rush on your natural.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Just watched a match between Socke and Cauthon Luck on Metalopolis. Fast match. Socke won with Void Ray abuse. Cauthon built a reaper, but didn't scout, so he never saw the Stargate. :hmm:

EDIT - MLG match that is.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
If anyone missed anything, it will be re-broadcasted at least once right after the live stream is over on the same page I believe. Yesterday the whole thing was re-streamed. ;)

I don't know if there will be VODs though, which is a shame because that last stand against drewbie by Socke was truly one for the ages.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Whooh, Huk won 1st place. It came down to PvP, vs Kiwikaki. Kiwi did what he did the first games he and Huk played, which was a 4 warp proxy. Didn't work out so well for him. Good games though. Very fun to watch live.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
CANADA VS CANADA, ONTARIO VS QUEBEC, ONTARIO WINS. :mad:

Well, nice use of Force Fields from Huk, he would completely turn the tide and decimate Kiwi with them. Also nice use of Phoenixes.

I wish to add, NO ZERG LOVE. Barely not a single time in this whole freakin tournament there was a decent Zerg player. One of the 2 probable games were ZvP and the Zerg player got owned by 4 gate (Tyler) for going fast expand, next game he does the same mistake and well you guessed it.

Absolutely lame. I really despise the fact that almost everyone favors Terran/Toss over Zerg. Blizzard needs to do something about this clearly, at least bring something that would make the players want to play Zerg. I have no clue, perhaps adding small details like the Queens could auto-pump larvae as an option could already make a HUGE difference.

Still, Drewbie and Socke made the most epic game I've seen yet. Carriers and Storms versus massive scale of Terran units. Storms working so well versus Vikings and bio, carriers still managing to hold off until the end where it just looked like the most intense survival challenge because Socke had really thrown everything he had at Drewbie and it's what that really made it epic. Also the fact he got his Mothership out of nowhere right as Husky was centered on the Nexus that spawned it made people go OMG!!!!

HuskySC needs to get paid from a source for casting, he's my hero.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Pretty good matches, Huk definitely was the best protoss at the place. Fun to actually watch something being casted live for once. Never tried that before.

I was sitting on /v/ on 4chan while following the MLG SC2 tournament, and there definitely was a lot of hate going towards Husky :(

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Why they were hatin'? He was pretty much him the whole time, the same guy you hear on Youtube except now we got to see him pre-games on the extra side (not that we haven't before) (and not that 4chan knows something better than making fun of people over the internet anonymously)

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Probably because he looks Malnourished or had some messed up hair. I enjoy H to the usky Husky. I did notice that HD seemed to be hogging the commentary during the first 3 matches where Huk and Kiwikaki played.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
They're hating because Husky is not a particularly commentator, he's just good at entertaining. Also, he talks a lot more than all the other commentators and he talks very quickly. People don't like it too much for some reason.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
And back to custom maps. I've been working on my 1v1 map, as it's my favorite of my few I've made so far. Here's some pictures I just took after I changed the light. I did have a boring traditional orange sunset light theme going on, but I changed it to a pale moon light. Suits the texture colors much better.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3764/terrain011.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9951/terrain012.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7808/terrain013.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7430/terrain014.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1999/terrain015.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4978/terrain016.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5091/terrain017z.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7189/terrain018.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Official name (kinda) - Canal Pit

I may change it to Water Plant. We'll see.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I'll just throw a bunch of ideas here as I'm reflecting on the layout.
Note I'm not 100% sure of myself, it's just a reflection.

The backdoor rocks I'm really not sure they'll work well. Blistering sands works well because the rocks are closer to the enemy than the main entrance. Here, they are further away. I'm not sure they'll be used so much. Sure a Terran wall will be defended, but since rocks are so close to the main entrance the wall defenses can move to the rocks to cover them before the enemy is in position to attack them. You'll notice in Blistering that it's as quick for the enemy to put pressure at the natural choke then go back up the backdoor as it is for the defender to get from one place to the other. Here I think defender would have the advantage.

The high yield space is nothing but a Command Center because of those two huge ramps which are close to each other so much that I'm almost asking why there are two. Almost, because I understand the thought behind the two. However they are so huge, take so much space on the high yield terrain... There should be more space it feels too constricted here and attacker to worker line would have the advantage because it would be hard for a ground army to get in position here to defend.

I see the idea that production buildings could be far from the worker line. It may be interesting to see how early harass techniques adapt to this map.

However very early game, I think this map favors zerg. Reaper has almost no place to jump to to get to the drone line. But, as the game goes on, zerg becomes heavily unfavored because the distance between the main hatch and the natural is so long that spreading creep to prevent further harass is gonna be harder than usual. It will heavily influence zerg into one base roach which while a safe opener is not viable midgame because Terran already expanded with the very mobile army. One thing though, I like the expansion at the back, that is good for zerg to expand away from the enemy. Maybe it should be closer.

I've spoken only of Zerg and Terran now though just a little. I think Protoss could hold long with maybe a building wall in the middle before the Xel Naga but the space could be shorter. Kind of the 2-Gate on Blistering sands, or the possible wall in at the natural on Lost Temple, that would be quite strong. Now it seems very wide and I think only Terran with high mobility and stim would hold that, or a mech Terran. Zerg would need to spread creep there, and like I said it would be hard as the main hatch is so far. It would take probably two tumors just to reach the ramp (And you need to cover it because it is so wide) so that you cant tumor near the cliff wall and then jump the creep down from there immediately.

This map seems to favor air play a little, but less than Desert Oasis.

Overall though it looks like a nice map to play on. I like the Xel Naga position, it reveals if the enemy pushes normally, but keeps a possible alternative route. Also heavy emphasis on position at the center on the high ground if a fight ever breaks out there.

Just my reflections for now. Of course, I am an unranked because terrible player, so you probably shouldn't listen to my ramblings ;)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
At first glance here I thought your water was a glass with windows glowing under it like a building. Man that would be cool.

Anyway, I'm not sure if those trees will work the way you expect them to (on the high ground to prevent tanks and other units to bombard the expand location) but with an observer or any flying unit for sighting behind those trees might just be GG and lights out. Especially with tanks. But yeah better than nothing. The fact that the expand is on low ground and next to the higher floor is really a bad position to be in in the first place.

Again on that same screen, the fences you have in the background seems to be overscaled, I think you could use those walls they have as doodads, they're metalic with a double laser wire and it would be far more fit for your theme.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Thanks for the input guys! Yeah, Kantham, I just recently (today) stumbled upon those walls with lasers. I was going to toy around with them the next time I had a chance to really get down and do some mapping.

Dark, thanks for the advice. I didn't see all of the things you have mentioned. I do realize that the gold expand and the other expand that are one level below can be very hard to hold on to, but for atleast the gold, it's suppose to. I will probably make it abit bigger though. Can't fit too much in there right now.

One thing I had in mind while building this map is how can I make it so it's not Siege Tank favored, which explains the grass by the lower expands. However, after testing it ingame, it doesn't work out how I wanted to, so I'll have to come up with something for that. I'll probably leave the gold expand down one level, but I may raise the regular expand to the same as the main.

I wanted soo hard to include a Natural expand in this map, by taking the very back expand and bring it forward, but I haven't yet.

The long main base was built is the way it is because I did have One base builds in mind, and not make the player expand out if they didn't want to. I'll toy around with relocating the backdoor and reaper spots. Hell, if I do build a Natural expand, that whole area will look different.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Well, I've been mapping for a bit today. These are the changes I've made, and it's late so I don't have time to actually play test it. Let me know what you think.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8571/terrain019.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] - Main with the Natural Expansion.

[SCREENSHOT]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4787/terrain010z.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] - Overview of the new expand and main layouts. Aswell as a new 'back door' and bigger gold expand.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hells to the yes. Silver league. Finally getting the hang of anti-cheese again.

One thing that is quite hard to me still is taking down a walled Terran. Yesterday, I played a match on Delta Quadrant, Terran was on 3 bases all the time while I was at least equal, and 2 bases ahead for the latter half of the game.

He still managed to tech up to BC's and take down my tech structures. FML.
I had a 200/200 army comprised of Templars, Zealots, Stalkers and some Colossi mixed in for good measure. Problem was that I couldn't go all-out Stalker because he had been massing MM for the first half of the game.

It seems that no matter how many bases I have, there is no way to break into a Sieged up terran's base without saccing your entire army.
Any tips or replays I could watch?

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Here is a video I made of my 1v1 map. Uploaded it to my new You Tube channel, LoLIshStarcraft.

Part 1
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKETcr50zps[/M]

Part 2
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuTbk3Toye0[/M]

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
It looks really good Kyle.

How does Blizzard handle new maps for the ladder? Do they pick out good community maps, or do they just not add new maps?

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Ya know, I asked the same question on their forums. Kept bumping it, never got an official response. I would hope that they add good Melee maps to their league mix.

Apr 11, 2006
It looks really good Kyle.

How does Blizzard handle new maps for the ladder? Do they pick out good community maps, or do they just not add new maps?

I haven't heard anything about this one way or the other yet.
Pessimism/cynicism says they release a paid DLC of new ladder maps.