[sound]7.1 & Realtek

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
My K8N motherboard (with AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3200+, 2.2ghz if it helps) has 7.1 sound built in. I'm using standard AC97 Realtek stuff at the moment;

Am I doin it rite?

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I'm settling for that realtek crap at the moment as well.
They can't even get 5.1 right (no blending), I don't know where they get the balls to start making 7.1.

When I stop buying too much beer, I'll throw an Asus Zonar line card in there and hopefully get the same quality as my old Santa Cruz.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
well, it does get better in stereo, but does nothing about the excessive noise other than confining it to 2 speakers.

Surround is completely broken though, at least in games.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
rear channel stuff is pretty common, but imagine scrolling your mouse to the right and the left speaker stops producing ambient or dynamic sounds instead of grading off.
It's as if you've entered a new dimension. a dimension of of mono sound... in your right ear.

just draw imaginary lines between your speakers.
that's what realtek thinks surround sound is.

It's cheap ass for a reason. I could spend 50 bucks on a low end Creative card and get infinitely better results.

Last edited:

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
So I need to find an actual 7.1 sound driver, right?

@Skakruk: Exactly that, standard, as in standard issue, as in usually comes bundled free on the installation disk.

@ All: To clarify: My XP disk doesn't have any sound drivers, so in order to get my onboard 7.1 sound to work I'm using an interim solution of Realtek AC97 drivers... I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to use. :con:

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
So I need to find an actual 7.1 sound driver, right?

@Skakruk: Exactly that, standard, as in standard issue, as in usually comes bundled free on the installation disk.

@ All: To clarify: My XP disk doesn't have any sound drivers, so in order to get my onboard 7.1 sound to work I'm using an interim solution of Realtek AC97 drivers... I have no idea what I'm actually supposed to use. :con:

Just go to RealTek's site and get the latest drivers they offer; that's the best you can do.
I mean, technically my 5.1 is working, it's just seriously flawed, so I'm settling for 2.1 at the moment.

Never had these problems with even the cheapest of dedicated surround cards, so that's where I'm headed next.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, definitely get a separate sound card. I just ordered an old Audigy2 off ebay for my new system last year, but make sure it has everything you need because they aren't all the same.

As far as surround not working in games, to me it seems the original UT with EAX (and possibly without as well but not sure) always worked correctly and any other games seemed to screw it up in one way or another; but I haven't played many outside the Unreal/UT/Doom/Quake box either.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
So has anyone EVER gotten surround sound right for computer games?
What's the problem?
If you can get 2 directions, why not 4?

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
You want 4.0? Four channels is usually more of a PITA than five or seven. Some games don't even have a setting for four. When I had a quadrophonic setup I used to let the computer send a 5.1 channel signal to my receiver, which would matrix the centre channel into the two fronts. This wasn't optimal, but some games just refused to put out a four channel signal without loosing a part of the soundstage.

No, I mean:
If they can get the proper stereo translation from an in-game character, with a fire burning to his left and a bomb going off to the front, to 2 speakers...
Why can't they do the same thing, with 4/5/7 speakers?
Fire to the left, bomb going off to the front, footsteps behind?
No, better idea:

Man standing in a warzone.
Guns blazing to the front. Building burning to the left. Footsteps to the rear.

2 Speakers:
The only thing distinguishable is the fire. The Gunfight and the guy sneaking up on you just sound like they're coming from between 2 the speakers.
Physical limitation, yeah?

4/5/7 Speakers:
What should happen is that all things should be distinct. The gunfight should be coming from in front of you, the fire should be on the left as with the plain stereo system, and the footsteps should be definitely behind you.
Not a physical limitation, you have all of the speakers in the right places.
The problem is in the program, right?
The problem is with the in-game character, right?

What I don't get is why this problem exists. Surely if you can reproduce the sound from 2 directions: side to side, surely you can reproduce them from four directions? Side to side AND Front and back?

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Easier said then done. Stereo has been sort of de facto with the exception of movies. Sound effects in games are more than just playing a soundclip through a channel. You need to have the game crossfade slowly from speaker to speaker. All while making the noise sound as if it could be at various distances, reverberating through a distinguishable environment (small room vs outside), or even as if the noise is being heard through something like a wall, all at the same time. It's pretty hard to make that convincing let alone program it.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Easier said then done. Stereo has been sort of de facto with the exception of movies. Sound effects in games are more than just playing a soundclip through a channel. You need to have the game crossfade slowly from speaker to speaker. All while making the noise sound as if it could be at various distances, reverberating through a distinguishable environment (small room vs outside), or even as if the noise is being heard through something like a wall, all at the same time. It's pretty hard to make that convincing let alone program it.

Yeah, but in unrealED I just put the sound-source where I want it, and as I move around it, it seemingly moves around me... surely that shouldn't be a problem for the game to handle if you tell it "the character has more than two ears"?... I mean, if they can do left to right, why not front to back?
It still sounds like a hardware issue... I don't "get" programming stuff, but I'm sure I'm onto something...

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
I've had similar issues with surround sound in games. Sounds move around OK, but from the rear speakers they are 'thin' or crackling. So I'm using stereo now also.

Skaarjmaster you actually have surround working in UT? That's a trick... Does it work in the Unreal also? They use the same sound engine don't they?

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
what you could do is set your speakers to quad sound (so it forces the stereo signal through the 4 speakers, if possible), and make sure the center is set to split the sound from the front pair only (usually done in the software control panel).

That way, though it's not encoded, you could have close to the real thing.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Skaarjmaster you actually have surround working in UT? That's a trick... Does it work in the Unreal also? They use the same sound engine don't they?

It sounds like it's working to me..........at least better than the other UT series games and I'm not sure about Unreal Gold. Is there any way to test this for sure?