So our college isn't blocking the gaming ports anymore.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
He's talking about when you live on campus. You pay to live there, you pay for Internet access, and then they block your ports and limit what you can do. That's stupid.

Of course you'll get in trouble playing games in class! :rolleyes:

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
T2A's got a point. I mean, hell, I paid you guys ~10000 to get into this college, I took 12 AP courses and got 5/5 on the AP exams in high school, and you're blocking my right to entertain myself whilst on campus? I have 3 good lawyers, so stfu and gimme back my gaming port rights!

^^ Did that make any sense or are my amateur debate skills crap?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well, last semester the IT dept was run by incompetent people plus the school being bombarded by "hax" attempts all year ended up killing the gaming. They could ahve opened up the gaming ports, but they didn't seem to know how. :/

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Taleweaver said:
Hope I make myself somewhat more clear with this.
I should have clarified as well.
I was referring to times when outside of class like in between them or after class if you live on campus
Of course you shouldn't be gaming in class

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Tenkken said:
dc, does n: even update their site lol? I see you nowhere on the roster, and smooth still owes me cyber.
random question of the week :O

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
He's talking about when you live on campus. You pay to live there, you pay for Internet access, and then they block your ports and limit what you can do. That's stupid.

This is from the University i work at's Acceptable Usage Policy:

"By law, the University can only provide computer services for its own work, not for private use. In this respect the University's computers are different from those owned by private colleges or corporations.

The University grants the use of its facilities to numerous organizations whose activities contribute to its mission, such as student organizations, professional societies, and the Campaign for Charities. But it is improper to use the University's computers for political campaigns, fund-raising, commercial enterprises, mass mailings, or other outside activities that have not been granted the use of the University's facilities.

All computer users should be aware that network capacity is finite and network usage costs money. "

Besides the fact that it is against the law for most state-funded Universities, who would you rather give the finite resources to: all of the researchers in a research institution who each bring in multi-million dollar grants each year, or students who pay ~$6000 a year? The bandwidth is allocated to the units that pay for it.