So I've decided to quit smoking weed...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UY

Preacher
Nov 24, 1999
Austin, Tx.
Visit site
Weed is like drinking or doing anything that alters your mood...its fun at times...but sooner or later you realize it aint real......and you start to feel insecure because you're getting off all the time on something that isnt reality.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
Weed isn't an addictive drug at all. Well, not physically addictive.

Have fun doing some exercice. Any actual plan on "natural pleasures" or are you going to sit behind your computer all day long ;)

masamax

Spoon
Apr 10, 2001
Edmonton, Canada
www.rifts.cjb.net
Weed is only addictive to those who come to rely on it. Toking occasionally for fun and to bring your spirits up is not hurting anyone. However, abusing ANY substance isn't good, and you will come to grow mentally dependant on it.

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Weed is not habit forming. I decided to give it a few months after my last ounce ran out, cos my head started getting a little fuzzy. You dont miss it at all when its gone.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Congrats man, but stay away from the straight edge scene. They are a bunch of big bully *******s. Do it for yourself, not because some scene wants you to. That's my $0.02.

Toolvana

RL hostage
Nov 24, 1999
Satellite of Love
www.toolvana.com
UY said:
Weed is like drinking or doing anything that alters your mood...its fun at times...but sooner or later you realize it aint real......and you start to feel insecure because you're getting off all the time on something that isnt reality.
Bravo UY, well said.
On one of Henry Rollins's spoken word albums he made a comment about how pathetic it is that people can be controlled by a plant. I tend to agree.
I hope you kick it Surebrec. I'm rooting for you.

UY

Preacher
Nov 24, 1999
Austin, Tx.
Visit site
Surebrec said:
Nah, Im not doing it because some scene wants me to, Im actually doing it because I want to.

Good for you man. Its tough to come off something you prolly enjoy doing..it was for me. We tend to get a mindset that we have to be buzzed on this or that to really have fun..and thats the toughest thing to get over. Not to mention what its doing to your lungs..heard one doob has as much tar as 7 cigs...dunno if thats true or not. It used to give me a cough all the time.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
UY said:

UY, this is a computer game forum. I can't see where you get the idea that there's something wrong with unreality (pun not intended).

Books aren't real. TV isn't real. Computer games aren't real. Whatever you get from smoking weed isn't real either, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

IMO, the fact that that stuff almost certainly rots your brain is the bad part :)

Surebrec said:
...at least for a very long time.

So I was working out today, and after a few minutes, I noticed I was fairly short of breath. I felt really fatigued just running, and it was then I decided to quit smoking it for a while. I read this article in an issue of this zine, Inside Front, about the straightedge philosophy, that instead of getting high or drunk on drugs and alcohol, you should get high or drunk on life and the natural pleasures that come from it. I'm starting to believe that article.

*stands and applauds*

I'm happy for you, :):tup:

It takes a strong willed person not to start, it takes an even stronger willed person to quit.

UY

Preacher
Nov 24, 1999
Austin, Tx.
Visit site
Sam_The_Man said:
UY, this is a computer game forum. I can't see where you get the idea that there's something wrong with unreality (pun not intended).

Books aren't real. TV isn't real. Computer games aren't real. Whatever you get from smoking weed isn't real either, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing.

IMO, the fact that that stuff almost certainly rots your brain is the bad part :)

If this is a computer gaming forum, then why are 99% of the post about something else? ding ding ding ! I get the feeling you just like to take an opposite position and argue it.
The point I was making, which you apparently didnt grasp...is that when you cannot have fun with life being just normal, and need drugs to make it happy...then you have been owned by that drug or habit. If you see nothing wrong with this then thats your business. I believe most of the world thinks different.

BlAcK_PlAgUe22

I ooze.
Jul 30, 2001
Irvine, California
plague.vze.com
Congrats Surebrec, on kicking the habit. :tup:

BillyBadAss said:
Congrats man, but stay away from the straight edge scene. They are a bunch of big bully *******s. Do it for yourself, not because some scene wants you to. That's my $0.02.

I have to agree with BBA though. Most (not saying all) straightedgers I know look down upon others who have had sex/smoked/gotten drunk. I haven't done any of those things, but it still annoys me with the fact they sport that "holier-then-thou" attitude.

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
AHhhahah! Look at the :rolleyes:!!!

Hmmm, where should I start?

The point I was making, which you apparently didnt grasp...is that when you cannot have fun with life being just normal, and need drugs to make it happy...then you have been owned by that drug or habit. If you see nothing wrong with this then thats your business. I believe most of the world thinks different.

Ok, so who says I cannot have a happy life with drugs. I can't smoke weed every once in awhile? Or not even couple times a week? I'm automatically unhappy when I'm not high because I smoke? Please. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Its a casual thing, like alcohol. So people that drink when they go out with friends, or on a date "need drugs to make [their lives] happy"?

Now Surebrec, I respect you for putting your body above all else, which is cool. Alas, you made a thread about quitting smoking weed. I'm only speaking for myself here, but big deal, weed is one of the least addictive substances that is considered a horrible drug by the government, at least enough to make it illegal.(Not the reason it is illegal, but meh) Now, Surebrec. Heres whatcha do. Start doing heroin. Do that for, ah 3 years. Then quit, go through withdrawls, and come back and post a thread about it. Then you will recieve respect and support that is not blind respect and support from me.

Another thing, quitting weed is easy, I've already quit like 5 or 6 times. ;)

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
instead of getting high or drunk on drugs and alcohol, you should get high or drunk on life and the natural pleasures that come from it.

The problem is, you start developing a tolerance to getting high on life, and you need to keep taking more and more to get the same high you used to. At first, you'll live for the moment, but soon you'll be living for the day; pretty soon you'll be using up months chasing the old buzz. Plus you ought to know: sobriety kills. My great grandmother never had a drink or smoke in her life, and one day she just keeled over. She was only ninety years old. So just bear in mind: SOBER AND HEALTHY LIVING IS ADDICTIVE AND DANGEROUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.