shutup!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FrAnK CaStLe

m-m-m-monster skill!
Nov 11, 2000
sandiego ca
cosmicmonstersinc.com>
I think Im gonna go crazy. My monitor is making a very high pitch noise and it only goes away when I give it a good whack or move it a little. Its not all the loud but its annoying. It is a viewsonic 19" pf790. Any ideas on whats causing this?

scudsukah-:-)

*nuked*
Jan 23, 2001
maryland, usa#1
Visit site
hello yes its sounds like your monitor is getting old i bet its the CRT (cathoraytube) right clik on your windows desktop and select properties go to settings and then in the bottom right hand corner clik on advanced then go to either adapter tab or monitor tab and change the refresh rate at the bottom if its already on optimal try rasing the refresh to like 50 hz or something if its already raised try lowering it
if all else fails go buy a new one crt is goin up on ya

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
My TV did that once, but dad opened it up and tightend up one of the coils inside and it stopped.

If the coil(s) are loose the sound is the vibrations they make.

Im not sure if this is the case for your monitor but it might be of some use.

WasHighPingDuck

Experienced
Nov 30, 2000
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hi all,
You may get some help from the dealer if it is under warenty.
Hitting is not recomended, it makes you feel better but it won't help the problem and might make it worse.
What you hear is a sympathetic vibration caused by the magnetic field that produces your horizontal sweep.
A part of the coils in your yoke are moving and yes it will drive you crazy. :(
Don't try to smother it with a blanket as those vent holes aren't just there for decorations.
I don't recomend taking the back off and turning it on to find the noise either as it is likely inside the coils of the yoke and there is HIGH voltage present.
15 to 20+ KiloVolts depending on the size and make of the monitor.
That will definatly get your attention!
If you try adjusting the refresh rate go lower than optimal never higher or you might need a new monitor quicker than you think. Like now!
The good part is it will likely work fine for a long time.
The bad part is it will likely work fine for a long time.
A new one will fix it!