Shooting through portals??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
Because trace hit weapons are calculated using a straight line from one point to another and then see if it intersects anything along the way (namely another player or something to block the fire like a wall) This vector can't jump across the grid. When you press the fire button it marks your location, Then sees the direction you are firing and then just like on a sheet of paper, draws a straight line from your location forward. When it hits something solid it stops and then returns that location. Now that it has a start and end location it returns those values to play animations and to determine what happens at the ending location (Either to just stop, damage something, or whatever) When you fire a "Trace"hit weapon into a portal then the line again is drawn and it stops at the back wall of the portal because that is the first solid object it hits along its set straight line path. Tracehit weapons are totally done with math calculations and there is never any actual projectile. Projectiles are indendent actors that have their own code governing their physics so they are able to fly through portals on their own because they are fire and forget. Once you fire then the code for that weapon is no longer conerned with what happens to the projectile because it takes care of itself.

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
OKAY! well.. not really ok

I guess that with some complex scripting it would be possible. I am only hypothisising, but I think it would be possible becuase I remember seeing a tutorial about firing through walls (I KNOW THAT WALLS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENCT TO ZONE PORTALS! FINISH READING WHAT I AM WRITING) I remeber reading that it worked by having one trace as far as the wall, then another one inside the wall, then when it hits the inside of the wall it starts YET ANOTHER trace as far as whatever it hits. SO!
in theory, you would be able to write a script to fire through portals, as long as you can figure out how to know when it has been hit. because some guy earlier in the post said that it hit the inside of the cube that the portal was hiding.... oh well, the bell has just gone so I have to go now, ( i am at school.... ) i may go home and edit this and say whatever i was gonna say..
if not, i forgot :mad:

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
I don't think it will work. If you are firing through a wall you are still tracing out a straight line. I just knows that when it hits a wall to just keep going adding to the previous trace. Zone portals aren't real geometry but simply an optical illusion. There is no way that I could see it being able to hit a zone and then figure out where the other end of the portal is and then shift all data to that location and then continue on. I'm not saying impossible but Unreal would have to have a complete overhaul to make it work.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
Wait a minute...

If a ZP can figure out which direction, speed, and position a CHARACTER is traveling when crossing through it, I don't see how it would be too dificult to write script for it to do the same thing with an imaginary line. Please tell me if I'm way off the mark here.

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
I'm sure if you rewrote the game it would work but like I said above, Unreal would need a complete overhaul to make it work. Its just the way things are done in unreal that make it impossible. Once you learn a little more about scripting you can look at the code for the weapons to see how they work and get a general idea of how Unreal handles the virtual world. Portals and Teleporters work because they intereact with an actual object which is the player, projectile, or something else. Each object in the game has physics that can be interpreted an modified. They have direction, speed, etc. When you hit a teleporter or zone portal the zone portal moves you to your new location and changes your direction because each object has the variables to modify. A tracehit whatever is not an object, actor or anything. It doesn't exist so there is nothing for the portal to modify or even know is there. In order to make it work you would have to rescript the portal code, the weapon, Base Tracehit funtions, world geometry calulations, and probably a few other things.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
Too bad TraceHit only stops at solid (which here means non-nonsolid, such as solids, semisolids and movers) surfaces. Otherwise it would be possible to determine when it hits a zone portal, then to determine which zone it's passing into and then to start a new trace at the zone portal of the other warp zone. This, of course, would require both warp zones to have no more than one portal to work properly.

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
The line doesn't go through portals, and there is no good way to make it work

SO

If you want the mini, sniper, and Enforcer to go through portals, guess what!

Download Lazy Matrix and it will turn them into projectiles, Turn the speed up and turn the
smoke trails down all the way,

And try that, then you have to figure out how to incorporate that into a level

My $.02

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Fuzzpilz
Too bad TraceHit only stops at solid (which here means non-nonsolid, such as solids, semisolids and movers) surfaces. Otherwise it would be possible to determine when it hits a zone portal, then to determine which zone it's passing into and then to start a new trace at the zone portal of the other warp zone..

That is EXACTLY what i was trying to say earlier....
damn, basicly

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
Originally posted by Fuzzpilz
Too bad TraceHit only stops at solid (which here means non-nonsolid, such as solids, semisolids and movers) surfaces. Otherwise it would be possible to determine when it hits a zone portal, then to determine which zone it's passing into and then to start a new trace at the zone portal of the other warp zone..

That is EXACTLY what i was trying to say earlier....
damn, basicly
but i like the idea of turning the bullets into projectiles, but wouldnt that be nasty for resourses? especially the minigun