Serious Sam Takes a Jab at Origin

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Hopefully it will be all right. Croteam lately said that they still need to tweak various engine features; so anything shown in the 6-min vid (and the above one too in this case) will not be something to be worried about. And the hands-on have been extremely promising so I feel fine about BFE.

I mean, hell, finally a new FPS game where I can carry way more than 2 weapons and loads of enemies to fight. With a good Coop mode too

p.s.: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/11/first-on-rps-serious-sam-3-hands-on/

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Reloading and ironsights doesn't even bother me anymore. Hell, the last time I hopped into 2k4 for gits and shiggles I found myself constantly trying to reload weapons that didn't need to be

I liked how at about 5:40 after killing the zerker Sam does his own "AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" followed by finding a massive wave of more and then goes "Uh oh"

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
So in the video I posted I noticed that Sam's health maxes out at 50 points? At 3:00 minute mark you can see the health full message pop up.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I noticed it too. I remember someone saying that the health could be permanently increased by finding hidden items (probably helping the exploration side of the game).

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Vids didn't look that fun to me. To much retreating going on. All enemies charge you. rah rah rah. The artistic direction was bad also. It looks like they took all the combat sims and tried there hardest to get that level of boring and then went above and beyond. But hey congrats on them realizing Origin is worse them steam.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
That's SS for you. Art looks great to me actually, at least it doesn't look like ANYTHING from SS2.
Game gonna be good, there should be at least more than two good FPS per year

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Problem with opinions, ambershee?
I'm happy because this isn't a cartoon-ish shitfest like in Serious Sam 2. And the environments in the shots look good to me, especially for a game with several enemies and projectiles on screen. I don't give a crap either way as long as the game is fun.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I wasn't talking about graphic quality. That is fine. (other then a fewminor things). I meant that it was bland and lacking in all creativity. Also it just looks like they tossed pre-made buildings on the sand, no design plan, simply threw them out there.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
[GU]elmur_fud;2530488 said:
Vids didn't look that fun to me. To much retreating going on. All enemies charge you. rah rah rah. The artistic direction was bad also. It looks like they took all the combat sims and tried there hardest to get that level of boring and then went above and beyond. But hey congrats on them realizing Origin is worse them steam.

Have you not played a Serious Sam game before? It is a throwback to old school gaming. The enemies are meant to go "rah rah rah" and force you to backpedal, especially at the higher difficulties.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Have you not played a Serious Sam game before? It is a throwback to old school gaming. The enemies are meant to go "rah rah rah" and force you to backpedal, especially at the higher difficulties.

I own 1 and 2 and I Never had to back pedal that much in them. True I did some.

I can't say that I ever had to backpedal much in any Unreal, Quake, Doom, Duke game either. The emphasis on allot of backpedal seems to have exploded with the popularity of zombie themed games. To me backpedal is annoying, the more I have to do it the less I enjoy myself.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
[GU]elmur_fud;2530569 said:
I own 1 and 2 and I Never had to back pedal that much in them. True I did some.

I can't say that I ever had to backpedal much in any Unreal, Quake, Doom, Duke game either. The emphasis on allot of backpedal seems to have exploded with the popularity of zombie themed games. To me backpedal is annoying, the more I have to do it the less I enjoy myself.

Well I would blame it on the person playing in the video then. What makes it worse is apparently it is being played on Easy difficulty.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Backpedal is barely as annoying as staying in one position and killing everyone in one hit (or camping).
I did backpedal a lot in Quake 1, let alone in Unreal's toughest SP Mappacks. Also I do that all the time with UT bots.
You didn't play already SS3, and the backpedal done seems fine for me. Go strafe in circles otherwise, the player isn't doing that and it's playing the game like shit.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Actually I enjoy a good old fashion blood bath. It's having to run from your prey and shoot it repeatedly till it dies that gets on my nerves. pure tedious repetition with no or little reward. Though that isn't the same as camping. Nor was I talking about being stationary.

All that doesn't matter though. If that is indicative of the gameplay and artistic direction of the game I wouldn't enjoy it much. So half a page later and not much has changed.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Just noticed that Serious Sam Double D is out today and only $7.19 till September 5th. Not a bad price for an 18 level side scroller.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
If you are not backpedaling (or circle strafing) then you are not playing on a hard enough difficulty. Someone here clearly needs to go play Painkiller. I doubted that shooting masses of melee enemies charging at me would be any fun until I played Painkiller.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
Competition is good, even in the retail place.

Even if Origin was a bad service, at least it would give steam a small amount of competition. That being said, however...I would not be surprised if Valve makes it difficult to self-publish your games online without the risk of losing Steam's retail space.

I know that is not what happened with Origin, but it would not surprise me if a Business wanted to protect itself from the competition.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem with Origin is that it's run by the publisher and they have only their own interests at heart there. On top of that, they are using Origin as an excuse to bicker with Valve over their policies, which reduces competition.