Sense prevails in US politics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
wow.
your little story sure does provide powerful evidence.
how is health care a grave threat to anyone's liberty?
what is the matter with you?

Do you know what this means..

"If you control a man's money you control half the man. Control a man's health you control the man"

hey, whatever helps you sleep.

Why do think only land owners where allowed to vote orginally? Think about it, don't just say discrimination.

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
you guys are getting way off base now. you can't possibly believe we still live in the slave ages.

Lol, I was talking about the land owning in general. As in it affected whites that weren't land owners too. ;) Yes, I realize land was only for whites, but that wasn't really what I was getting at. ;) Try to see past your nose. I was basically talking about requirement reasons beyond discrimination. Just think about what eighteen year olds bring to the table at the voting booth. What does each group of people bring to the table? Are all those groups good for the country to vote? Who do poor people vote for, how do they vote, is it good for the country? How do young people vote? Is it good for the country? My point is that groups were discriminated in voting because of experience in life. The entire idea of owning land was seen as proof you had life experience, that you were educated, and could vote responsibly. The entire race issue in general was only left there because the founding fathers didn't know if it was going to go well to give them rights and decided that it could be added at some future time. It is of little doubt states won't have been happy if any rights were given. If you care to look it up, look into the changes in views in the country when the poor and the young were allowed to vote. The believe I have is that these two groups with such an ability is part of the reason the constitution is in the state it is now. You can call me names on that if you wish, honestly.

This is really off topic though.

Last edited:

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Jacks:SmirkingRevenge said:
it's about a human responsibility to take care of each other.

It is not a human responsibility to take care of each other, It is not societies, nor is it the governments. Its the peoples responsibility to take care of themselves. Making it possible to obtain is the only responsibility we have here

"With freedom comes responsibility". That doesn’t mean that society has more responsibility. It means that the person who chooses to exercise that greater freedom has greater responsibilities. If you do not want the responsibility then you must also surrender the choice.

Benjamin Franklin nails your problem on the head with this.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
— Benjamin Franklin

exactly.
we really need to do away with this 2-party system where everything is either black or white. it's hurting everyone, because the majority of US citizens are much, much closer to the middle.

I agree we need at least another party but both the dems and reps are progressive thinking. The only real difference is dems are more progressive. The republicans are only conservative in comparison. I for one am not registered republican because I believe they are democrats in denial. People have to stop thinking actual conservatives are represented in this country or that they actually have some sort of power. If there is any group in this country with zero political power and representation its true conservatives like myself. There is zero politicians with conservative values. Regardless, I dare you to list major differences between the republicans and democrats.

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast

facepalm.jpg

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
facepalm pic

Fun fact the democrats started to use the word czar to get at Nixon and they created the actual seats to begin with.

I am well aware its a slang word to describe the positions. Its a slang that both sides use when the other is in power. I see little reason to not use it.

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
It is not a human responsibility to take care of each other, It is not societies, nor is it the governments. Its the peoples responsibility to take care of themselves. Making it possible to obtain is the only responsibility we have here

That right there says everything about you. You are more concerned about your own material gain, and would rather let someone die since they are out of site/out of mind. People like you are no better than those that rape or steal. You can only think about what you want, and could give a **** about how it will effect others or the future of America. :shake:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Normalizing for car accidents does not mean you don't count car accidents, it just means you seek to get useful information about the relative health care of accident victims on a per capita basis. For the most useful statistical analysis this should be done in all cases where health care related statistics can be influenced by variables not dependent on the health care system of the country in question.

In the same way that the US's average age of death might increase if we properly normalize for high accident rates, some other country might benefit if we normalize out child sacrifice or what have you.

That's not to say the raw, unnormalized data is not useful. It is important to recognize the impact that America's violent crime, its dependence on the automobile, and its unhealthy lifestyle choices has on its average lifespan, but this information only tells us about those cultural variables, and it tells us nothing about the quality of the health care system which is what we are interested in.
Here's a person who gets it.

that's a terrible example.

look, I can do it too: well, since we all require oxygen to breathe, we might as well regulate and tax the use of it. does oxygen not affect our health?
Thanks for missing the point. My point was to show how ridiculous this can get.

health care means the ability to live and be taken care of no different than any other person. it's as basic as an issue can get. and it's something that every nation should provide for its people in so far as ensuring that virtually no one is without access with equality.
I love how folks preach about equality, but yet they want to punish those who have succeeded to care for many of those who just let their lives slip into crap. I'm not saying all of the uncovered are that way by their own faults, but many are and there is a HUGE number of uncovered who can pay but don't. Statistics have shown that about 2/3 of all uncovered either can afford to pay or qualify for free programs but fail to sign up. Why should I give a rat's behind about them?

ah!
this method of thinking is so uniquely American, I don't get it.
why are we so selfish?
Selfish? No, it is more about personal responsibility, something of which many folks don't understand, including you, obviously.

it's about a human responsibility to take care of each other.
you "don't feel" like it's your duty to make sure someone has access to decent health care, but that person would do it for you! and someone else would do it for them. this is why people in other parts of the world laugh at our health care debate.
I could care less what other countries think about our health care or debate. Human responsibility? The buck starts when a person's health directly affects another's, such as in the spread of communicable diseases and viruses. It need go no further than that.

in other countries, they argue about how to maintain funding for their health care program by looking for ways to improve the system. but at least it's their, for everyone, they walk out of the hospital without visiting a cashier.
Why is it so important to have this for everyone? Why not make the free care accessible to those who need it? Matter of fact, many states and counties already have free care for those who cannot afford coverage. You would rather put this all in the hands of the Federal Government by removing it from the state and local levels. Bravo!

in our country, there's at least a pretty loud portion of our citizens that are ok with leaving people in desperation in their own backyard. we can't even agree how to better cover the individuals that ARE covered. meanwhile, free health clinics in California and Detroit draw thousands upon thousands of people who are unable to get the care they need otherwise.
these clinics cannot even afford to see everyone who turned out. this is the kind of stuff we normally do in like... Somalia.
Leaving people in despair at the levels seen in places like Somalia? Now I know you've lost those last three marbles.

lol, but it doesn't have to work that way!

you just said, you'd put up with paying for that person at the doctors cash register.
so why wouldn't you put up with paying for that person in a way that is reciprocal? you covered them, because that person and everyone else has your ass covered.
It is because the free market fluctuates and I have options that I most likely will not see with this new system. Yeah, you're damned right it's about me; it's about all of us Americans,not just the ones who do not have coverage. Maybe you have not kept up on this issue, but the health care plans as proposed affect every American in one way or another, and not necessarily for the better. Get off your high horse, minister.

hey, whatever helps you sleep.
No bullsh1t, do YOU lose sleep over it?

Last edited:

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
source please?
here's one, go ahead and use google for more...
http://smartgirlnation.com/2009/06/popular-ranking-unfairly-misrepresents-the-us-health-care-system/

wow.
your little story sure does provide powerful evidence.
what is the matter with you?
oh gee. omg. wow. well, it's a true story of what I saw on UK television.

how is health care a grave threat to anyone's liberty?
Umm, taxation? Huge centralized government taking over our healthcare system? If you can't figure it out then I can't help you.

exactly.

you be responsible; you get a good education, you get a good job, you pay into the system which helps take care of people and then you are also taken care of. no one has to lose.
:lol:
Are you trying as hard as possible to take it out of context and turn it around?

OK, now twist these:

Thomas Jefferson:

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

That right there says everything about you. You are more concerned about your own material gain, and would rather let someone die since they are out of site/out of mind. People like you are no better than those that rape or steal. You can only think about what you want, and could give a **** about how it will effect others or the future of America. :shake:
umm, BBA, he's just saying, in his own words, what many of our founding fathers have said. Especially Lincoln. It's about individual liberty

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
who gets what?
That comparing the US to other countries in regards to our quality of health care is an invalid argument. Our cultures are so dramatically different even within the States that even an argument there cannot provide an accurate assessment.

Yes, our health care system has some serious issues, nobody is denying this. It is the methods at which we plan to resolve these issues is what provides fodder for discussion/argument.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Here's where you and others are missing the point. Personal responsibility is a great burden, but it is one of the keys to great liberty. Being forced to give up the fruits of your own labor for the benefit of others isn't compassion. Giving it freely is noble.

The real question is who is the best steward of that charity? An entity that can forcibly take an arbitrary amount of your possessions and has a limited amount of accountability and oversight? Or one that must compete for your donations and is compelled to account for its operation?

Our government has proven time and time again to be fiscally irresponsible and operationally unsound. They've raided and bankrupted every fund they've created. It is an overreaching and self-serving entity that looks for every opportunity to expand itself. While there are no doubt public servants with well-meaning ideas, there's no getting around the fact that human nature breeds corruption - and this behavior is particularly destructive in the public sector due to the power it posesses.

There is real danger in continually handing over your liberties however good-intentioned the idea may be.

tl;dr - don't attempt to paint someone as lacking compassion because they don't agree that they should be forcibly compelled into centralized charity. Private sector ftw.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Again, this issue is not about money or life, it is about liberty or control. I donate BY CHOICE to several charitable organizations that help people in need on a daily basis. The important factor here is that I CHOOSE to do this.

When you force people to be charitable, you are making it so that they aren't charitable at all.

When people try to make this issue all about greed and charity, they are missing the core fact that the healthcare issue is the LEAST of the issues you can mistakenly apply this to. Thousands of people in the US die every day due to starvation and hunger. Are you next going to say "Nobody should ever die from being hungry! Let's tax everyone and force them to pay for food for these people!"? If not, you must be greedy and selfish!

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Hal, charity is a NICE idea and all, but it frankly doesn't work. Charitable organizations are obscenely underfunded and are applying bandaids to broken limbs, essentially. A system made entirely of private enterprise and charity would be great if we didn't see the poor suffering the brunt of the problems and and private industry was able to cover the gaps but it isn't happening.

So what should be done? You can either try to fix the problem, as we are now, or you can continue saying how our system is the best in the world and that charity will cover the gaps even though it's obvious that it doesn't. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

~Jason

When people try to make this issue all about greed and charity, they are missing the core fact that the healthcare issue is the LEAST of the issues you can mistakenly apply this to. Thousands of people in the US die every day due to starvation and hunger. Are you next going to say "Nobody should ever die from being hungry! Let's tax everyone and force them to pay for food for these people!"? If not, you must be greedy and selfish!

We already do: you know, welfare, foodstamps, shelters, etc. I do believe that you're suggesting we should stop doing this, right? Because that's not the way America works...

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I still find it hilarious that when we discuss healthcare, we talk about insurance.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I still find it hilarious that when we discuss healthcare, we talk about insurance.

This debate is really about insurance. When people are able to get health care in the US, it is very good. Nobody is debating the competence of our medical professionals or the effectiveness of our hospitals/drugs/etc (okay, not entirely true, streamlining/modernizing does need to happen and is talked about). The problem lies in how much money it costs (a lot) and how that prohibitive cost prevents millions of people from getting the health care they need, leading to preventable deaths. The debate is over how to better our system and what means can/should be used.

~Jason

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
SlayerDragon said:
well, it's really about costs, but... what increases the costs?
among others...
- Paying for those that can't and skip out on bills
- Insurance masking/insulating the true costs to the consumer.