Recon and Voice Communications - An "Old School" Observation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spleen

Contact Belltower Window!
Oct 18, 2000
??

Actually, i did post reasonably. I put forth 10 agruments why I think ghosting is unrealistic. Furthermore, i did not resort to name calling like others did toward me, so IM not really sure what ya mean. please read back and note, that I was the one who had insults directed toward me, I did not directly insult anyone directly.. If my tone was a bit rough I think thats pretty understandle after being called a "wuss." Am I really expected to be calm and polite after being called a wuss? If so, im out of here.

[This message was edited by Spleen on Mar 21, 2001 at 20:55.]

Wolfn2it

Feb 3, 2000
users.uswest.net
makes you feel better spleen, im behind you as well. i think the ghosting recon is not only unfair (cause ambushing no longer works) but should not be incorporated. yes i know RW and BC but common guys dont make it any easier for ppl to give the crap recon (only recon if you are alive) and im also an OLD SCHOOLER since inf for unreal and i didnt agree to this sort of recon. but anyway heres my vote: nay for ghost recon (or guardian angel, as we call them in lan tourneys)

Kill'em all and let God separate 'em!!!

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I have to agree with Spleen a bit here. If this so-called 'recon' is totally acceptable, then why frown on using the radar? Any Inf veteran will tell you that using the radar is unrealistic, yet some of these same people are totally OK with 'ghosting recon'..seems a little hypocritical to me. :cool:

I am the Walrus, koo koo kachoo.
Why do people insist on putting their 'two cents' in when they don't have a penny to spare?

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Sorry guys, I'm posting again :)

JUST BECAUSE THE ENEMY KNOW'S WHERE YOU ARE DOES NOT DETRIMENT YOUR SKILL. Go ahead, let the enemy find me. You see, you come to EXPECT the enemy to know where you are -- it just makes you more alert. 99% of the people who know where I am and try to kill me end up dead theirselves? Why? I'm ready for them, with tricks up my sleeve, and, once they find me, recon isn't going to improve thier firing skills! You guys are really making Recon sound a lot more darastic than it really is.

--==**LifesBane[4C]**==--
Want to learn how to map? Email me!

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Mason:
In lieu to Radar:

>>>>>
Infiltration is a team game.
I agree, having radar WOULD be realistic to a point.

But, having radar would make INF more of a one-man game, and cut back on the Team aspect of it.

Having your teammates be the one that provide you recon makes you, well...work as a team

Yes, this is a realism MOD. And, as I stated above, the radar would be realistic. BUT...there is a point in any realism MOD where one must consider whether to progress further in the realism or not. TOO much realism can hurt the gameplay. And, in my oppinion, the gameplay should not suffer. Remember guys: This is a game.
>>>>>

There you go.

enzomatrix

Nov 16, 2000
Score 10 for Spleen. All very good and true points.
If infil makes it so you can purchase surveillance equiptment then have at it, otherwise it is not even remotely realistic.....

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
But you see, one does not purchase the over-head satellites and launch them into orbit IN battle -- it is done before hand :)

And again, I'm just going to stress this...INF is fine as it is. I understand many of you come from different MODs and have many different expectations, but guys, this is INF, this isn't other MODs. Just because you expected something different than what was put before you doesn't mean it's going to be changed.

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Y'know what? We are all arguing a point that we will probably never come to an agreement on. If Gryphon says that he MEANT for 'spectator' mode to be used the way it is being used, then I will go along. Until that time(and probably after), I will stick to my belief that 'recon'(and i use the term loosely) is merely using an aspect of the game the way it was never intended to be used. So, I agree that we disagree and I will leave it at that. You respect my position and I shall respect yours. Here's hoping for better teamwork, regardless! :cool:

Why do people insist on putting their 'two cents' in when they don't have a penny to spare?

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
I agree with you spleen on many points. I think I wuz over-reacting there - threads have degenerated fairly fast and i dont want that to happen too often. Solly

As for this ghosting thing, please read my post in this thread.

JUST BECAUSE THE ENEMY KNOW'S WHERE YOU ARE DOES NOT DETRIMENT YOUR SKILL

I agree with this one, BUT it effects the outcome of an encounter. It doesnt matter how much skill you have or that you are expecting an enemy (who isnt???) or are more alert (again, who isnt?). If your opponent can practically "see" your movements your exact position and posture and the weapon you are holding, he has a very significant advantage over you.

He can wait until you have a slight lapse in concentration, he will know how many rounds have left in your gun, he will know exactly when and where you are moving out from your position. The moment you move out from cover he knows to shoot the place you are going to emerge from. How does he know this? Recon. Sorry, until our military services train troops with ESP I dont think this ghosting thing is a good idea.

Ghosting gives an unfair and very sgnificant edge for your opponent. Dont tell me that "I have so much skill ghosters cant touch me." Sorry, this only applies in a game of UT or Quake, not in INF - you die just too fast before you can react to the threat of a ghoster catching you unawares - ESPECIALLY if you are unaware of the presence of the ghoster, which is usually the case.

And if you want to know the significance of this problem look no further than our famed armed forces. For the majority of major battles, the battle was won because of the exploitaion of battlefield intel PLUS the bravery and skill of the soldier behind which is the resources of the army. Any general or warlord will tell you the significance of battlefield intelligence. Ghosting is that instrument of acquiring intelligence that is quite unrealistic and at this time quite unfair.

I will only agree with this idea of ghosting IF AND ONLY IF the INF team states in no uncertain terms that it is an acceptable game strategy AND it is made available for every team and team member to ghost.

BTW, in CS, I'm a ghost hunter because I know how to handle and deal with ghosters. But given sufficient skill (I'm not that good when facing AWP'ers), luck (hitscan cone shot placing, ugh) and situation (me in bad position), the ghoster will usually win. I will win only when I can hear the person who is ghosting giving instructions to my target.

Fen Phen

The Napper
Oct 28, 2000
Spleen, right on!

(Okay, so maybe he's waving his arms around frantically, but he's making valid points and in a mostly polite/coherent way.) :)

A quick comment on what Mayhem said:

"If you have the better TEAM and are getting info and the other poor fools team doesn't help him out, and you kill him, who is the better team?"

Not to be rude, but I believe the better team is the one that doesn't have all the dead people flying around. :)

The better individual is the one that can continue to survive/kill without the help of dead comrades.

S

StreetPreacher

bjc.jpg

-SP

gpk

bah!
Aug 30, 2000
Is friendly fire forced upon us ?

AFD.Snirpfel brought up a good point (b4 i could:) ).
Is friendly fire forced on u? NO IT'S NOT . It's up to the server admins to decide what it's set at.
I'm sure the INF team could have forced FF on, or mirror FF on, or whatever they liked.And I'm sure many ppl would complainif they did.
They realise that different ppl have different prefs and left it up to the server admins/clans/fanbases. U don't like full FF ? Play on another server. I don't hear "old schoolers" complaining 'bout that.

NOONE is forcing ppl to ghost recon or forcing them NOT TO now either. Some ppl think it's good, some ppl don't. The difference is we who are against it don't have any options besides pelading with ppl to stop. If we were given server side options that would enable us to dissallow ghost recon then the argument would be moot.
And anyone who used voice comm to break those server enforced rules would be in fact lame.
gpk

Snirpfel

Dec 16, 2000
If a server-side option was to be available, it would have to have the power to completely eliminate free-range ghosting. In SF, you can't talk to anyone a few seconds after death, but people use ghost recon in clan wars all of the time...

snirp3.gif

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Ok some stuff:

1st Spleen, I don't see how you can compare OFP to the likes of quake or gore, it's apparent that you didn't pay too much attention when playing the demo.
You probably played in cadet mode which gives you pop ups and identifier marks, try playing in veteran mode, it's as real as it gets. No pop ups no identifiers, you have only your brain and the commands of the platoon leader to go by.

Other then that i agree with spleen, inf is a soldier sim, it's meant to be slow and it will probably become even slower as soon as the playerspeeds and movement limitations have been drawn to a more real level.
If you don't like it you can always play SF since that is more your stuff if you want fast fragging action.
Radar was dropped for reason... why? because there is no radar capable of picking up humans.
Same as there are no dead people floating around telling their still live teammates where the enemy is.
The arguement of satelites doesn't hold up because satelites cannot provide continous survailance, they can take a pic and it'll be hours before the next over-flight.
The arguement of recon doesn't hold up because were talking about limited engagements of small teams. Not of full divisions with support troops.

<A HREF="http://www.rlgaming.com" TARGET=_blank>
page

Reviewer, Contributing Columnist Real Life Gaming</A>

Ghosting

Dracil, that stuff posted by Razorflower is science fiction in 99.999999% of military engagements, if not 100%. Maybe we'll see that kind of real time intel available to footsoldiers in wartime by 2050, maybe not.

Simple solution. Make free range ghosting a server-side option. I'll probably try a bit of both, depending on how much time I have to play at any given sitting. No-ghost for when I have time to kill and want REALISM to the MAX. Ghost-enabled when my time is short and I want ghosts to keep the maps moving.

-- Vipe --
viper.jpg

-- LIVE FREE OR DIE --

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
>>If Gryphon says that he MEANT for 'spectator' mode to be used the way it is being used

You guys just don't get it. It's WAS intended to be in! Why? It has been in INF-- SINCE DAY ONE! You do not seem to realize, 2.85 is NOT the first INF version out!

Abuga-- You are limited on knowing the enemies position by A) Your typing speed and B) Internet Voice Comm Lag. Your typing/voice is always going to be delayed a fraction of a second, or longer....that is enough time for me to pop out and take your head off without your teammate telling you where I am. The whole thing you have to be able to in INF is be UNpredictable, which makes it really hard for recon.

You guys are acting like everyone that gives recon has an INSTANTANEOUS voice-to-text feed to the ears of the other player on where the enemy is, if he's spanish or american, what his middle name is, what his first pet hampster had the day it died, and why he likes BenGay over Rolaids. Sorry, it doesn't work that way :)

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
LifesBane, look at my regiistration date! I have been playing Inf since 2.75 first came out. Don't even PRETEND to treat me like 'newbie'.

SPECTATOR mode was meant to be in Inf...what was that?...SPECTATOR MODE! It was put in so that people who died didn't just sit in darkness waiting for a new round to begin. Just because the friggin' thing was there to begin with doesn't make it right(necessarliy). Hmm..let's look at the word..SPEC-TA-TOR..hmm..last time I checked, a spectator viewed the action but was unable to alter the physical outcome of a contest. People are merely taking advantage of the fact that you can talk(so you aren't bored stiff) when you are in spectator mode and now you are trying to pass it off as a legitimate strategy. "OK, Bob, go get killed and let us know where they are hiding" Sounds like brilliant friggin' strategy to me. Puh-leeze. If the Inf team says it is a legitimate way to play, I will accept it, I may not like it but I will respect their decision. :cool:

Recon

I'm really hoping this will be my last comment on the subject. Mason, what Lifesbane is saying is that from the beginning if Infiltration, ghost recon has been part of the game. That's just the way it is, just a fact.

You said, "...last time I checked, a spectator viewed the action but was unable to alter the physical outcome of a contest. People are merely taking advantage of the fact that you can talk(so you aren't bored stiff) when you are in spectator mode and now you are trying to pass it off as a legitimate strategy."

But, spectators ARE able to alter the outcome. Even if you disable the ability to key messages to your live teammates, there is a whole world of real-time voice com users who are talking to their live teammates after they are dead. Unless you disable spectator mode, or at least free-range camera mode, ghost recon is GOING to happen routinely. You just won't see it.

Yes, if you started with 2.75, you ARE new, sorry. I mean, it's not personal, it's just that Infiltration's roots are much deeper than that.

Here is a post I put on the SOB Servers forum that addresses these issues, and I hope (no promises, hehe) this will be the last from me on this. 2.75'ers are welcome to Infiltration, and I mean no disrespect to them in the following post. There's nothing wrong with having a later start date than some others, it's just that there is a lot of history you didn't see. I also see both sides of this argument, as you can see. And I also mean no disrespect to the Infiltration team by my comments regarding 2.75. It was commendable and appreciated that they went to the effort to bring a transitional version of Infiltration while we were awaiting 2.8X. It just didn't have the feel of Infiltration, and that was beyond their control. Here is the post:

DB has it right. Make it a server-side option. Those who want ghost recon can congregate on free-roaming ghosting servers, those who don't can meet on servers where it's disabled. Hell, I'll probably spend some time on both. I think it IS more hard-core realistic to go without, and there will likely be times when I am in the mood, and HAVE lots of time to spend waiting on a long-running map without ghost recon. But, I like the cooperation and teamwork that goes with the Inf-traditional recon, and when your time is limited, it's a Hell of a lot more fun. On another level up from keyboarding, it's just damned fun to get on RW (I used to use FireTalk, should have switched to RW a long time ago) and get to know the other players in the community. Yeah, you can talk to people and participate to a degree while you're dead without ghosting, but it's more seamless and more fun when you can just continue to work with your team even when you're dead. It's something we're all used to (those who have been around awhile) and it's not going to go away. Just make it an option and we can all happily go where we want.

And, 2.75??? Man, that wasn't even Infiltration. I appreciated the efforts of the Infiltration team, SOB Servers, et al, in bringing a transition game in anticipation of 2.8X, I really DID, but, frankly, I skipped 2.75 after trying it out two or three times. It was UT with transitional Inf weapons, period. Not Infiltration. Inf 2.6 and earlier was where Infiltration was at, where the community was born, and where I and a lot of others stayed until 2.85 just came out. If you cut your teeth on 2.75, you probably don't yet know a lot of the old school people, except maybe messaging on SOB and Infiltration forums. You're about to meet us on the field, Mouuuhaahaahaaaaaa!

-- Vipe --
viper.jpg

-- LIVE FREE OR DIE --

Mason

Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
I see your point, but you have to admit that I have an equally valid point. When I said that spectators do not normally affect the outcome of a contest, I meant in REAL LIFE. Just because it's been around forever and a day doesn't make it entirely correct. I offer you the following analogy...

In sports, steroids have been used for years to improve performance. I think anyone would be hard pressed to say that steroid use is a legitimate competitive practice. My point is this..just because steroid use has been around since the late 50's early 60's doesn't make it a valid practice in this (or that) day and age. The length of time that something has been in practice doesn't automatically make it correct. ..and again with the "it's part of the game" thing. Yes, it's part of the game RIGHT NOW.

Example number 2: Two teams of 8 start a match. Rambo dork #1 rushes out and dies in 3.5 seconds. What gives him the right to further affect the outcome of the match?

CoffeyCan

Real Maps Coordinator
Fist off, I roll with whatever the INF team decides; case closed, and I believe the decision is up to them.

Secondly, the point was missed that the real world military doesnt work as smooth as we'd like it to.

If you listen to the radio transmissions here http://www.philly.com/packages/somalia/radio.asp youll hear (or read the transcriptions) that the over head eyes couldnt even effectively direct traffic through the streets, nor did they point out anything but large mobs.

As for the eyes overhead doing recon, remember is desert storm when they sent teams of SAS and Green Berets ahead to do recon on roads, telling them that the areas were not poulated. Well they got it massively wrong, and almost every team that was put down had to have emergency extraction due to being discovered.

I see both strengths and weakness of recon, but on the battlefiled, Murphy rules all.
CC

RealMaps Site Co-Founder
ccsig.gif

Often Imitated, Never Duplicated; RealMaps Leads the Way