Recent Server Issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hi all, about three weeks ago I got notified by my server host that 4 of my VM server in one of their regions (all running different applications on different OSes with different passwords) had been used as part of a targeted DDOS attack and thus had networking disabled. I am 99% sure they weren't actually hacked or anything after review, but something weird definitely happened.

In response I had to go through and re-create the servers that BU was hosted on. Rest assured this wasn't the site finally reaching its death, nor do I have any intention of letting the site die. As I've stated many times before, I am committed to keeping BU going as long as I feasibly can.

Unfortunately, the servers BU were running on were VMs where I'd done tons of custom configuration, and I also had to recover all the data from the servers so that none was lost which was pretty time consuming. However, I was finally able to get everything back.

I also took the opportunity to move the site to a bit beefier server to hopefully prevent all the database issues we were having previously. On top of that, I have created a fairly reproducible configuration for the server so if this ever happens again I will be able to rebuild the site much faster. And, lastly, I moved all my server resources into different datacenters with my host instead of localizing them all in one. Hopefully that will keep the site up better.

Needless to say, this site has been kicking for a long time and I'm not keen on witnessing it's death. Long live BeyondUnreal!

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Hey Sir_Brizz, thank you very very much for taking great care of this place. I'm very glad to see the forums to be back and in good shape.
You're right, Beyondunreal should keep going for as long as possible;

Once more, thank you very much!

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I thought BU has finally bit the dust, glad I was wrong.
Thanks Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
For what it's worth, I have also gotten email notifications working on the forums again.