Realtime Shadows System for UT2K4 FREELY AVAILABLE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Switch`

Pixelante
Feb 27, 2004
We added this feature about 1 year ago but it's not present in current internal releases. There arent many light sources in typical Eon levels, fps drop in battles is more than noticeable and it's not really gameplay relevant.

You can expect this feature in first public Eon build, or one of the first patches.

Last edited:

Set

Jul 1, 2004
No ****, Alexander from Bushido? Hey, it's...Set..from Bushido!

HyPer128

Apr 20, 2004
oh no ;)
hehe
everybody else is going to have it too now ;)
atleast, in our hearts we know we were first

hehe

thanks for the heads up alexander

Lise

Being a girl makes you kick more arse.
Mar 16, 2004
Switch has a point - my GeForce 3 screams in agony enough as it is with the stills from Eon. Shadows would murder me.

babywax

Sep 8, 2004
Normal mapping is very different from real time shadows.

Quick explanation:
Each polygon has a normal. Normals are used heavily in lighting, because they tell the engine which direction the polygon is facing.
When the renderer goes thru lighting, it gets the dot product of the normal and the light, and if it's 0 there's no light and 1 it's bright light.
Normal maps basically just add normals to models, simulating more polygons, except there aren't any there, so it gives the illusion of having a higher polygon model but only in the lighting aspect, the geometry of the model stays the same.

NeoNight

Lurker
Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Lise said:
Switch has a point - my GeForce 3 screams in agony enough as it is with the stills from Eon. Shadows would murder me.

you and me both my computer had a heart attack from the stills.. I was thinking about trying the beta.... but I .... I just can't do that to my system :lol:

stavesacre

Sep 12, 2004
My system choked on the stills, but the beta runs suprisingly well. And I turned up everything.
I noticed that some of the detail in the stills was removed, its not too noticable, but it helps performance out alot.