Quake 1 Monster Pack for Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Zombies must be gibbed, just like in quake :) otherwise they'll get back up

I finally got my pc back up and 3ds max 4 installed, now its just a matter of figuring out how this thing works :lol:

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Wow, that was easier than I thought LOL

Got what I need to know learned, expect an update in the next couple days here, it should be a (hint hint) big one :)

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Alrighty, here we are, everyone....and I mean EVERYONE should remember this one

shambleru.jpg

Now, a few other things....

The skin resolution had to be cut down unfortunately, as the U file was starting to hit 4mb at only 3 monsters, the difference was not that great after comparison and I have shrunk the textures in half.

The shambler is only a tiny bit different from the original in that the "magic" casting is not spot on, but I think it still works well. My original idea was to use TraceFire for the lightning but, not knowing TraceFire is a weapon function, that obviously did not work. I made a small compromise in which it fires 3 high powered dispersion bolts, It is still just as hard to avoid as in Quake and still does a considerable amount of damage.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
There should be a way to get it working like in Quake though, if weapons could be made to work exactly that way, it isn't that different in pawns. Only there aren't any hitscan pawns in original Unreal. But there were hitscan pawns in other mods, U4E for example had some pawns like that.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
the Mercenaries do an instant hit spray :/

if the file size is getting that big with only 3 monsters then you could be adding too many animation frames, maybe some of them might be unnecessary. Just look at the game's monsters and see how limited their animations are, they did that for an obvious reason.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
the Mercenaries do an instant hit spray :/

if the file size is getting that big with only 3 monsters then you could be adding too many animation frames, maybe some of them might be unnecessary. Just look at the game's monsters and see how limited their animations are, they did that for an obvious reason.

The original Q1 monsters have very limited animations, so if he's doing raw remakes of the Q1 animations, this shouldn't be happening.

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
Nope, it's not the animations

The zombie, being at 155 frames, has the highest, while things like the Skaarj Warrior and Warlord have almost 500 frames or even more.

When rescaling the textures, the size went from 4mb to a current 1.2mb U file, most of the textures consisted of a 512x512 minimum

I thought about the merc a bit, I may take a look at that. Not having played unreal in awhile I did not think about the mercenary at all

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Nope, it's not the animations

The zombie, being at 155 frames, has the highest, while things like the Skaarj Warrior and Warlord have almost 500 frames or even more.

When rescaling the textures, the size went from 4mb to a current 1.2mb U file, most of the textures consisted of a 512x512 minimum

I thought about the merc a bit, I may take a look at that. Not having played unreal in awhile I did not think about the mercenary at all

512x512 for the Q1 monsters? Where did you get those from? Their native texture resolutions is like 128x128 or 64x64.

Master_Unreal

Dec 1, 2010
512x512 for the Q1 monsters? Where did you get those from? Their native texture resolutions is like 128x128 or 64x64.

Actually, compared to Unreal they have pretty strange resolutions, if i remember correctly the Soldier was 304x120something

Basically what I did, took the original texture, scaled it to a resolution unrealed would accept, and google'd some images here and there, mixed that with the texture, added a normal map for good measure, and then imported it. Now I just do the same thing, except at the end i scale it back down.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Actually, compared to Unreal they have pretty strange resolutions, if i remember correctly the Soldier was 304x120something

Basically what I did, took the original texture, scaled it to a resolution unrealed would accept, and google'd some images here and there, mixed that with the texture, added a normal map for good measure, and then imported it. Now I just do the same thing, except at the end i scale it back down.

In that case, 256x256 is way more reasonable for Q1's models than 512x512.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
making textures 512x512 size will give you and average of 400-500kb each. The best thing you can do here is maintaining the default size of 256x256 or its original size from Q1. I remember seeing the skins for Q1 monsters a few years back and they were pretty much the same size and format as the Unreal ones.

Another thing, you could import the meshes as psk/psa format which will give you smoother animation due to the bone system, plus they are 16bit format instead of 8bit like the .3d format is. You can reduce the file size with this format and you can even link several meshes to use the same animation file which reduces size even more. You can also compress the animations for the psa format on import and you can even skip the animation and mesh link command for more file downsize. This trick was used on the TacticalOps weapons if you want to check it out. I have done this already and it does work, the only thing is that you can't view your meshes in UED's mesh browser because it will crash but the meshes do play the animations correctly.