Pulse gun

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Big giB

Keep out of reach of children.
Jul 28, 2000
BC, Canada
Visit site
You're dumb...

Indeed, extended range on the secondary would be fun, but sourly overpowered. MInd as well tune up the other weapons. Like:

Biorifle's blobs last MUCH longer
Ripper discs bounce more (oh god no!)
Flak Cannon shoots more flak
Rocket Launcher can load up 12 rockets just as fast as 6
Enforcer's firing rate doubled
Hammer made even better
Translocator shoots a HUGE disc as big as deck16 that telefrags anything in its way (;D )
yah, it's a huge balance issue.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Xinder: please don't start posting those here. Not everyone shares your love of 1024x768 pictures, thanks.

Not everyone has cable either, some of us still use 56K modems.

Gib, most of that's been done already.

Bio and ripper longer life: attached to this post
Flak shoots more flak: Super Flak Cannon, www.planetunreal.com/modsquad
Rocket Launcher loads 10 instead of 6 and deals more damage: Super Rocket Launcher, www.planetunreal.com/modsquad
double enforcer's firing rate: in console type set enforcer fireadjust 2
Hammer made better: try Excessive Overkill
There's no big xloc disc but in excessive it is the equivalent of a telepunt.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Yes it is, and ultraripper.zip is inside it. :)

The bio isn't as useful.... you could set up a nice bio field and one rocket ruins that trap. :(

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Originally posted by papapishu
I think the pulse is a bit weird when comming to balance issues.
How often do you use first-fire?

I use it when the right-click stream won't reach my target...I don't think there's very much other good use for it.

_Zd_Ringi_

Rorschach alike
Sep 14, 2000
De Achterhoek
Originally posted by _Zd_MEELOBEE_

Yeah! thats it, the beam is segmented into a certain ammount of parts (i dunno how much) but I do know that the front of each part deals more damage than the midsection of the part

Like this: (i know the numbers are wrong, just for the idea)

GUN|=--------|---------|--------|---------|--------|---------|

the -------- gives 5 damage
the |, gives 15 damage

That is why bots are so good with it. like hal said :)

I don't think there is a diff between midsection and outer parts. I think a segments gives about 10 damage on first contact. When you hit another segment you get another 10 damage, but it will forget about the previous segment.
So if you closing in in or back away from a person he'll receive more damage that way. The best method would be to rapidly close in/back away on the border of 2 segments, you could kill a person faster then mini secondary does :D Only problem: how u know where the border is....:rolleyes:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
RE: Pulse Segments

From the UT Bible

Most people underestimate the Pulse Gun, just because the Minigun is the better rapid fire instant hit gun. Indeed, the secondary fire, which shoots something like the Lightning Gun in Quake can´t match the damage per second of the Minigun. Another disadvantage is that it only has a ranged effect, just like the Lightning Gun in Quake. But the secondary fire`s big advantage compared to the minigun is, that it`s 100% accurate, which often makes it an equally good choice as the minigun at mid-range. It even consumes far less ammo than the Minigun.
The primary fire can also be pretty dangerous in close range fights, when spamming long range or when retreating around corners.
To sum it up: the main reason why the pulse can be very effective is because most people think, that it isn`t effective. Strange but true (-;

There is a little trick to get more damage out of the pulse. The green lightsaber-like effect is divided in its length into 10 segments of 81uu length. Each of these segments does a fixed damage of 10.8 health on first contact with the player. So if you move towards an opponent and back away from him you are doing a bit more damage, than usually. The best thing about this is, that the segments "forget" their last target as soon as you switch to a different segment, so the 10.8 damage on 1st contact always refreshes. That`s why the best method would be to switch fast between 2 segments, but you would have to know the exact segment borders in order to do that and they are too difficult to see. But theoretically you could do an insane amount of damage with this method.
This is the reason, why the pulse seems to do much more damage sometimes.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Re: MUhahahaha STFU...

Originally posted by XinderbocK
Okay..I just wanted to share the pics i found..I liked it em.. SO FUK OFF...

Thanks for sharing the pics... but there really is no need to attach giant un-related pictures to your posts. Keep in mind that many people are on dial-up connections and it clogs the whole process.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by RaptoR
XinderbocK : Remember what I said in my mail to you? Start a new thread for the pictures or something...
And do it in off topic...unless it's UT pics.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
They say that at lans the pulse is just the ultimate weapon. And don't underestimate the primary. Those little green pulses do a decent amount of damage and the guns puts out tons of them. They move slow so they aren't to hard to dodge, but you can really spam them around and fill an area with them.

Also, I am a forum mod checking in from work on a 56k and the big, unrelated pics are a hassle.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
Maybe so, but you don't post gigantic unrelated pictures in every post you make, sunrise.

By the way, hal and boom, moderators, have already asked him not to post the pictures all the time. A new thread is OK, where 56K modem people can avoid it ahead of time.

Or what he could try to do is make them smaller than 1024x768. Not everyone runs at itty-bitty resolutions.