Post 2.9 Official Weapon Suggestions Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I think that an RPG-7 could work well, especially in some of the larger maps. HE frag and HIT rounds would be really cool. I suppose you could take a few HEAT rounds to shoot through bunkers and stuff too. The HEAT rounds could also be used as part of a map objective where you need to destroy an armored vehicle.

Iskendar

Feb 5, 2004
Tiffy said:
Medium mortars in the 81mm class are totally outside of the scope of INF. Most INF maps aren't even egtting up to being near 10% of these weapons effective range and in fact some maps would be to small for certain mortars to place a bomb into.

Smaller mortars in the 60mm class are really too large for the sort of think INF is simulating. The US (of French its the same weapon) 60mm Mortar is a 3 man crew served weapon and would be of very limited use in INF. 40mm Grenades are far better when you get down to section level.

A quick google turns up at least one 60mm mortar which can be used by one man:
http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/artillery/mortars/soltam_60mm/Mortar_60mm.html
I recall seeing recent footage from Iraq in which freedom fighters/terrorists fired a mortar on a
US base: one man use without the bipod. The option for a second team member to carry more ammo
would be an obvious necessity. I admit the range is a bit overkill for the game.

Tiffy said:
Now for the game practicalities. I've thrown grenades and bounced them off the sky box.

I can see how that would pose a problem :)

Tiffy said:
Can't see what your going to do with ATGs either. Until terrain is modelled correctly and becomes (magically) destroyable there is no point in shooting an 84mm RR round at a man. You'll give you position away and a 5.56mm round would have got there faster, flatter (further too) and would still do the job.

Whats the point of including AT weapons?

RPG != AT weapon. The RPG-7 is often used in a "poor man's artillery" role, and there are HE rounds
for it. RPO uses thermobaric or napalm rounds, mainly for clearing bunkers and machine gun posts. I
agree that without destroyable terrain, these weapons lose some of their real-world use, but not all of
it. A HE or incendiary round through the window of that occupied building guarding your avenue of
approach can do wonders. Suppression fire too: want to move across a gap covered by long-range
enemy machine gun fire? A near miss HE or napalm round can do wonders. Same use for the mortar.

I.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I think any kind of direct fire rocket weapon would be overpowered (in game terms) for Inf as it stands.

It's annoying enough when the 40mm spam gets bad, but rockets would just be ridiculous.

Soul Assailant

Dec 7, 2003
What about automatic 40mm grenade launchers as a static defense? General Dynamics makes a doosy called the MK19. Should give Sara all the big booms anyone could possibly want. Buuuuut, should anyone need bigger ones, they also make a tasty little treat called the BDM60, which it says can be used safely anywhere from 20 to 250 meters. 20 meters seems to be about what most shots are taken from in some INF maps.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Hey, I'd love an Mk.19. Who wouldn't. Anyway, considering that reloading an RPG-7 takes a fair bit of time and just dragging one around is unplesant, I don't think we'd see a hell of a lot of spamming. I, for one, would love to see it in.

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Soul Assailant said:
What about automatic 40mm grenade launchers as a static defense? General Dynamics makes a doosy called the MK19. Should give Sara all the big booms anyone could possibly want. Buuuuut, should anyone need bigger ones, they also make a tasty little treat called the BDM60, which it says can be used safely anywhere from 20 to 250 meters. 20 meters seems to be about what most shots are taken from in some INF maps.

Mk 19, bah. I want the AGS-17 Plamya, because *no one* does excessive firepower like the Russians.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Okay, so when do we start having AC-130's, Arc Light strikes, tactical nukes, maybe the odd orbital delivery system?

Meplat-

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
ecale3 said:
Arc Light? what is that?

Operation Arc Light was the code for B-52 Stratofortress heavy bomber operations during the Vietnam War. Arc Light strikes were conducted out by B-52Ds equipped with the "Big Belly" modification, which allowed the BUFFs to carry a staggering warload of up to one hundred eight Mark 82 five hundred pound general purpose bombs.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Any fiream using reasonably well made (read,"water resistant/waterproof") munitions can fire underwater. Some will not cycle, some will fail to extract properly, all will experience unusual trajectories, and reduced ranges and acuracy.

If one has a pool, and cares little for their hearing, feel free to try it.My seeing a number of .45 ACP handguns, and a couple M16 variants fired underwater convinced me.

Meplat-

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
As a warning to anyone who attempts this, while most guns can manage to fire without major incident (usually just a failure to cycle or extract, and some, like the Glock pistols, will function just fine), some weapons will experience a massive integrity failure if the barrel can't withstand the much more significant pressure of underwater operation. Water's relative uncompressability has been known to cause barrels to shear in half on occasion. Also, wear ear protection and do not put your head under water. You will go deaf whether you like it or not.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Arethusa- I should have stated "Any DECENT firearm" Granted a RG Rohm in .44 Magnum is unsafe both under and above water..

Consider that the pressure exerted upon the outside of the bore, by the media surrounding it will be equal to the force inside the bore, prior to firing. Hydraulicly induced backpressure would not be as great as you'd believe, as you are forcing the fluid from an open ended tube (Like a syringe, with little restriction). Also, water cavitates readily once one breaks the speed of sound in said fluid, further reducing the fluidic backpressure.

Water within a bore becomes an issue mainly when the weapon has been immersed, then the water is imporperly drained, or left in a very small bore due to capillary action. This is a circumstance where the M16 sufferd a bit of an issue in humid environments, or during river crossings. Failure to drain the bore ( "sneak" the bolt back a bit, then shake the hell out of it, muzzle down.) caused a number of burst tubes.
Supressed firearms also are not "happy" post immersion. Example? The Navy issued S&W "Hush Puppy" 39's were fitted with muzzle, and breech plugs to prevent entry into the supressor. The pistol would not suffer, but the can of the supressor would be split, or blown.

If one MUST try this, I reccomend a M1911A1 of quality manufacture. One has a low operating pressure, low velocity, and a design known for it's massive construction.

Meplat-

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Nearly all firearms are damaged, some serverly, when fired underwater. The hydralic pressure induced in the barrel is a lot greater than normal and usually will distort the barrel by bulging it. If its a not too cleaver barrel then it will probably burst at that point, but most will just bulge.

As an experiment I really wouldn't recommend this. You'll propably damage the weapon, you may need to replace the barrel and at the worst you'll destroy it.