[Poll] Hijacking Vehicles?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What do you do with an open enemy vehicle in Onslaught?

• Total voters

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
hal said:
People that discard vehicles must die. Particularly, but not exclusively, the big ones like Goliaths and Leviathans. I see this all the time and it just makes me wish I could do a little team-killing.

Yup, totally agree. Last week I was in a team that had just captured the last node on Arctic Stronghold, some idiot abandoned a Goliath on top of the node, it was immediately hi-jickad, the node taken down and suddenly we found ourselves up against two tanks on that node, and the whole tide of the game turned....I get mad just thinking about it.:mad:

Booby-trapping vehicles only makes sense if it's got almost no health left and you don't have any ammo left in the link, or you're in too chaotic a place to heal it. Then hopping out of the Goliath, pinging two spider mines next to it, and letting an enemy, in the heat of battle try to steal it is worth while as it was probably doomed anyway.

All vehicles should be stolen (especially the 'bender as taking people out with the sky-mines from their own vehicles always gets a smile) ;)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
When I did it it was always on Torlan when the enemy had the tank node and we had the base node. I would mine their manta and wait for them to take it, blow it up, steal the node :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
hal said:
Now I see your plan... infect the young gamers browsing these forums with your "strategies" in hopes that they all someday join MY team and annoy the hell out of me! :lol:
Actually, I'd rather not see it proliferated. I don't want to lose my one trademark on the game.

What's nice about this poll is that when people AREN'T talking about how not to be fooled by my trickeration, they're dispensing some very nice tips on Onslaught play, which I sincerely hope will make for better matches. If nothing else, people can generally feel safe around their vehicles if they know I'm occupied with having to actually play the game. :D
Israphel said:
Booby-trapping vehicles only makes sense if it's got almost no health left and you don't have any ammo left in the link, or you're in too chaotic a place to heal it.
When tagging your own vehicles, yes. When fighting an enemy vehicle on foot, nades can help if you don't have much to face him down with. If a tank is somewhat low on health, and you can get some nades on its backside while he tries to swivel the turret around, when he shoots you, all nades (and spider mines) you planted detonate automagically, which has on more than one occasion resulted in a kill for me as well. This can also help with the ion tank in Glacier, assuming you can get close enough to plant a few before you're vaporized.

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
I almost always hijack an enemy vehicle and use it against them. God bless the noobs that leave me a manta!

I'm all for enemies boobytrapping their vehicles - while you're wasting time on lol,

im in ur base killing ur dudes

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
OK, so you're wandering around the (for example) red base manta-killing people while your own team is down to only one node, but I'm wasting time? If I didn't have a preference for spawning at my own base, would you even HAVE anyone to kill?

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
My tactical sense is much better than that ;) If my team only has one node, the last thing I'm thinking about is killing ur dudes. I don't even go into the enemy base until the core's vulnerable.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
HuggyBear said:
My tactical sense is much better than that ;) If my team only has one node, the last thing I'm thinking about is killing ur dudes. I don't even go into the enemy base until the core's vulnerable.
Must have been a different huggy bear that was camping our base last week, then.

:edit: and I like how everybody assumes I'm just doing this at random in the middle of a heated match, or just wandering around the whole match looking for hapless victims. Actually, it's probably better for me if you all go on thinking that, so you can continue to be surprised when I run you over instead.

"Here comes w0rf! I shall blow him up whilst he dicks around with his grenades!" :Pulse:

BUZZ wrong-o :cake:

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
W0RF said:
Must have been a different huggy bear that was camping our base last week, then.

I was? What map? I only remember playing half of Dria before I took off, then I played some TAM & such in the wee hours.

Of course, like everyone else, I apply my best tactics & NEVER screw around at FragBU.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
well, if you weren't there for Torlan, then obviously it was someone else. There's no demos, so it's not like I can go back and check the name for certainty. It's not like it's that big a deal anyway, someone was base-camping, I seem to recall it might have been you, and when you post your strategery it reinforces my guess, that's all.

Getting a tad defensive, aren't you?

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Naw, I'm not defensive, I just don't load my messages with emoticons. :):lol::)

If I was base-camping, I apologize. I might have been around for a match on Torlan, but I don't recall, actually. It really doesn't sound like something I'd do, even if I was screwing around - that's why I'm asking. :) I have more fun catching big air than running down my friends as they spawn - that's just rude.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
No need to apologize, it's just FBU. It might also have been an unfortunate cosmic coincidence of timing. I continue to view this thread in a jovial and lighthearted manner.

About the only time it frustrated me was when I spawned for about the fourth time, going "okay where is that poopoohead", grabbed the AVRIL, nimbly dodged about the base... looking... listening... well where the hell is he?... then like 10 seconds later, :cake:

Last edited:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I am kind of a bastard with that manta. :) I try really hard not to be rude about it .... In fact, I go out of my way not to be rude about it. However, if I did end up spawnkilling you or anyone else, it wasn't intentional and I apologize.

But I think I do remember this now, and I was just waiting for your core shield to come down since the rest of my team was retaking your node 1. Seems like that one node switched hands a lot during that match, and every time I raced back to the core to start pwning it, the node would go down and I'd have to race back. (the more coffee I get in me, the better my memory works for things that happened before a minute ago.)

But, my tactics discussion has little to do with a poll enabling Worf to choose his targets for trickery, so I'll save it for another time. :)

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
That would explain the vanishing act. For some reason I thought my team was in better shape than that. I think we did end up losing that match, though. :(

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't really thought to use this to select targets, per se. Perhaps if I had, I might have been a bit more fair and kept the poll private. Either way, my antics are hardly a secret, especially to the regulars, so I don't expect this to work but maybe once a night in a panicked moment.

But once is enough for me. :glee:

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Well, I don't make a habit of hanging around an area where I just ran over a bunch of people - makes for easy pwning of me :)

Yeah, it's that one time it works that makes it so fun! I cherish every good, clean manta kill - the ones where they know I'm coming, start shooting, and I paste them anyway.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
/me thinks a poll about camping is in order...you know, what is and what isn't camping.

After "n00b", "camper" is probably the second most common way of insulting people in so many Onslaught matches I play...I've had it directed at me a number of times...times when I've been defending a node with a tank ffs...I mean, what's wrong with that?

Reading the exchanges above, I can sympathise with Worf because I HATE it on Torlan when people camp the base with Mantas...on Torlan it's more irritating than most maps, because the Avril isn't in the weapon lockers..so it's harder to get to it before you get hit.

On the other hand, it's a fact of Onslaught that the core is in the base and you have to go in there to shoot it...and the Manta is the best vehicles to do it in as its fast and it's harder to bring it down with an Avril in a tight space. So when you go in to hit the core, at that point, the only place the enemy can spawn is in the base...so people are going to shoot at you..what do you do? Ignore them and let them kill you because you don't want to be a camper....it's a very fine line.

Personally, I kill them...I don't call it camping as it's not hanging around a base waiting for lazy kills...people who do that when the action is in another part of the map are real campers. For example, Arctic Stronghold, the battles are all in the middle of the map, but someone is standing on a hill with an LG headshotting people when they spawn in the base. It serves no real tactical purpose, and if someone does that to me, I am highly likely to be irritated enough to kill them.

So I guess you can call camping lazy kills that serve no tactical purpose....but even then it's a fine line. ONS-Crossfire for example. When you are attacking the enemy core, its a very short ride from the second node from your own base (where the tank and raptor spawn) to the enemy core in the tank. You can roll the tank up on the hill and shoot the hell out of the core with it. You can also shoot people as they spawn. Is it camping? Well, no because you are attacking their core, and at the same time defending your own node that links you to their core...you're just defending it in their base :lol:...which is admittedly further back. But yes its camping because it FEELS like camping when you do it..it doesn't feel fair because you know you're not giving people chance to play the game..and ultimately, we all want to actually play, not just get killed the second we spawn. Surely enjoying ourselves is more important than winning/getting a high score...if your tactics deliberatly stop people from playing or having any chance to enjoy the game...then of course they'll get pissed off. It FEELS like camping because I hate it when it happens to ME...Admittedly, you can eventually take the tank out if you stand under the brow of the hill and shoot flak secondaries over it, but you will certainly die at least once in doing so.

So apologies for the thread derailment (although Worf and Huggy started it ;) ), as I said at the beginning, maybe its possible to start a thread on it.

PS: Going back to Torlan, a nice trick to kill the core that isn't really camping is to pick up the spider mines from the lateral-centre nodes, get a manta and if you hit the jump at the righ moment at speed coming over the hill from the side of the core, you can land it on top of the sniper tower in enemy base...killing anyone sniping there. RESIST the urge to drop spider mines down into their base, and instead cover the area around the teleporter with spidermines, so if anyone comes to get you...they'll die. Then shoot the core from up there with the link primary, or if someone is in the turret firing up at you, flick flak secondaries or grenades over while you stand back from the edge. Not really camping, and very successful tactically as you are very hard to remove. But again, this is only true if you are actually attacking the core...do it at any other time and it's lazy kills/camping thrills ;)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Lol, nice poll ... I invite you to look up a certain Sun Tzu on Google ;) .

WileyPeyote

Dazed in UT
Jul 26, 2000
A hole in PA
wiley.clanservers.com
Hijack it and hide it somewhere so it won't respawn for a while

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was sure if you hijack an enemy vehicle, it resets the spawn timer so the same vehicle will respawn at their base/node. I will have to try this when I get home to verify. Back to the poll, I will either hijack it and use it or damage it until it is on fire if there is no one else that needs it. I never destroy a vehicle or hijack it unless I need it based on my previous statement.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
WileyPeyote said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was sure if you hijack an enemy vehicle, it resets the spawn timer so the same vehicle will respawn at their base/node. I will have to try this when I get home to verify. Back to the poll, I will either hijack it and use it or damage it until it is on fire if there is no one else that needs it. I never destroy a vehicle or hijack it unless I need it based on my previous statement.
Nope, Hijacking a vehicle prevents it from respawning until it is destroyed.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I used to hide enemy vehicles in tribes, but don't do it in UT. UT makes it much harder to pick people out of vehicles, where as in tribes, it was much more feasible. I don't want to say easier, because not much in tribes is "easier".

I rarely hijack vehicles, because I rarely see people out of them, and leaving them un-attended, unless I've already dented the vehicle to the point where it's hardly useful, and more timely for me to just grab a fresh spawned one, then heal it. Prolly why most of the time my team just get's manta spammed in games, and I get really good at taking them out.

Torlan: You really don't need the avril to take out mantas at the core (depending on specs, and ping of course). The weapon locker does have Flak, and Shock, my two favorite manta munchers.

Basically, I just destory everything, and spend as much time as possible on foot. Until they have a vehicle that dodges, I'm better off that way anyways. Now, I just gotta find a fool proof way to take a golie out on foot...