[PC] Half-Life 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
The Dopefish said:
First impressions are dazzling. The hype train was fully loaded, and they delivered as expected.

I've hit a snag with a puzzle (a room with mancutters or whatev and many explosive barrels). Dunno what to do thurr.

Big Dizzle - Climb up the ladder, and jump onto the pipe nearby, and use that to crawl to the far ledge. Whee! Hop up more pipes, twist the valve, and go back a couple rooms so you can take adavantage of the newly raised water. It will make sense when you do it.

Anyways, this game is mindblowing. It is...just...wow.

I have all the settings up on max, except AA, which is at 4x, which is still great. Only complaint is that when I first loaded it, the game would not stop stuttering, and it freaked me out. But I rebooted my PC, and it worked fine then. I need to sleep for class tomorrow...but oh man...this is going to be big.

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
Here's a quick run of shots I took of where I'm up to. It's using the game's screenshot quality settings which are ok, but not 56k friendly.

Attachments

• d1_canals_1.jpg
    d1_canals_1.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 134
  • d1_canals_2.jpg
    d1_canals_2.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 109
  • d1_canals_6.jpg
    d1_canals_6.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 111
  • d1_canals_8.jpg
    d1_canals_8.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 115

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Provo... somewhere in Utah.
Visit site
Well, for you morons who didn't buy the game :D jk
Posted this on another forum. My personal review of the first few minutes of the game.

Currently I am in Ravenholm.... :D
OWN

*****Warning: Some spoilers!!!*****

Well, the loading and verifying and activation of HL2 took a good ten minutes. Those have to be the longest ten minutes of my life. Bringing the game itself to the screen took another two, and loading the first level took a good minute in and of itself.

And what better game to wait for.

The opening scene, just as in it's predecessor, begins with a nostalgic, albeit brief, train ride, into City 17. The train's two other passengers observe you with haggard eyes and questioning looks. Upon exit from the train, a scanner droid takes your picture. You glance around at the dreary station, littered with refuse. A monitor at the end of the station shows the face of a man, welcoming you to City 17, and assuring you that "it's safer here". Combine soldiers, the policeman of City 17, patrol the station. A worried woman inquires about her husband, whom she says was supposed to be on the train. The beleaguered citizens look at you with cold eyes, mumbling to themselves or worrying over this or that, conveying a sense of fear that borders on terror.

It's quite simply the most engrossing PC game experience I've ever encountered. And that's just the first 5 minutes.

The characters are so well created, the lip syncing and voice acting so perfect that it's surprising that you are in a game and not watching a pre-rendered sequence. It's such a surreal experience that I found myself letting the game play itself while I sat back and watched character interactions... the harsh Combine soldiers using their electric prods against citizens (and you, in some cases), the random conversations that strike up from time to time, the worried, hushed, conspiratorial meetings of the unhappy citizens. When the time came that I was actually required to play the game, it was terrifying. The sense of realism that the game imbues draws you in so far that you are really there. Your character as well as your friends begin to matter to you in a way that no other game has ever accomplished. The first run from the Combine is simply gripping.... and absolutely wonderful.

You meet up with friends from the past, who set you on the right course (and return to you the beloved crowbar of Half Life 1). Then, it's up to you. Armed with your crowbar, you go off to face the minions of the Combine and the aliens alike.

In the words of Barney... "Good luck... You're gonna need it."

[edit] Sparky, I'm diggin the 1hp in the 3rd pic :D I was at 2 when I got past those damn missile trucks and into the long tunnel... and then the one dude with the SMG smoked me. I like the fact that this one is harder :D[/edit]

Last edited:

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Visit site
HURRY UP AND GET IT!!! OR COME TO PROVO... I'll let you play it :D
[edit] A few screenies... fun with zombies!
d1_town_010006.jpg

d1_town_010007.jpg

d1_town_010008.jpg

d1_town_010015.jpg

d1_town_010016.jpg

I'll make them smaller if anyone desires it as such. Or remove them if you think it's too spoiler-ish...
[/edit]

Last edited:

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Visit site
I'm not too sure if I can continue playing this game at the moment... it begs to be played in the dead of night with sound up (GODDAMN THAT ZOMBIE SCARED ME (no spoilers)). Maybe I can hold off till tonight...

Toolvana

RL hostage
Nov 24, 1999
Satellite of Love
www.toolvana.com
The net is killing me with all the talk of how great HL2 is. One, I'm broke and can't buy it, two, I'm trying to wait until I upgrade my comp before playing HL2 so I can play it for the first time in all it's glory. Who knows how long that will be though. :(
I can NOT wait to play this game.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I'm at the updating half life 2 part, and it has gone from 102 minutes to 110 minutes. this is taking way to long. I hate steam!

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
zynthetic said:
So how about the nVidia optimizations? HL2 is one of the contributing factors between me chosing a GeForce6800 over a Radeon x800. I'd like to see nVidia's side of things since ATI didn't seem to have any problems durring the beta. If at all possible just fps (any hitches) w/ normal settings and perhap w/ max detail also :)

Im running on a Radeon 9600 Max details 2x AA, 2x Ansio (but at 800x600x32, 1024x768 runs rather well, but it kind of "sutters" when you move your view around to fast) and Im suprised at how well it runs. There have been no slowdowns, well except once, because a shiatload barrels were flying everywhere.

BTW: This game is 0wnage. [/redundant]

Last edited:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
damnit this is bull****, I knew valve would **** this up. You guys that are able to play you all suck.

Destro7000

Beware the Apartment Emus
Aug 12, 2002
Bristol, UK
www.gamersa.barrysworld.net
Someone tell me this...if I get the regular version of HL2, am I able to d/l CS source from Steam for free because of my purchase?

I've just about given up on the CE, I'm off down shops to get the regular one in a sec :tup:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
yeah you can get CS: source for free with hl2.

this whole thing is freaking absurd. the long waits just to play the freaking game even though it is already installed is criminal. You could almost file a lawsuit over the bull****. :mad:

and all these security measures to protect the game is crap too. If you buy halflife according to valve you are protentionally going to warez the game and are a criminal. :rolleyes:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Well you are a mother ****ing lucky son of a bitch because lots of people are having the same problems too. Sir_Brizz deserves some kind of medal because he has it much worst then me.